Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would you rather see on the Legends Wall - Hart v Knight

Who would you rather see on the Legends Wall?

• Gary Hart

Votes: 114 85.1%
  • Leon Knight

Votes: 20 14.9%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Makes no difference what you call it. Gary Hart should be on it.

I suspect there are countless players over the last 113 years that warrant being on a banner ahead of Gary Hart and that is not to diminish the service he gave the club. Charlie Webb isn't there (although I believe he is remembered somewhere in Dick's Bar) and neither is John Jackson, our first ever manager. There are also many iconic moments, what about Teddy Maybank, scored our first ever goal in the top flite.

As dislikeable as Leon Knight is, I would agree that his goal in 2004 is more iconic than scoring the first goal at Withdean and the Amex. Others may disagree but at the end of the day there can't be a banner for everyone!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The fact that the whole Legends Wall looks like an afterthought and parts of it tend to blow down in high winds makes it all a bit irrelevant to me. If we were talking statues or players faces sunk into the building that will last longer than the manager banners I might care more.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As much as l admire and respect Gary Hart for all he has done for our club, it has to be Leon Knight for me. Gary Hart was a good honest centre forward, and loyal to the cause, but to be honest l don't think he was any more than that, certainly not capable of the odd touch of brilliance that Leon Knight could produce on his day.

And let's face it it's those touches of brilliance that can win games, and make people remember you long after you have left the club or even in Leon's case, retired. Will any of us ever forget his penalty winner at the Millennium Stadium?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And let's face it it's those touches of brilliance that can win games, and make people remember you long after you have left the club or even in Leon's case, retired. Will any of us ever forget his penalty winner at the Millennium Stadium?

True, I reckon the Liam Knight that arrived here under Coppell would be having a field day in the current team. Whatever you think of him, he was extremely talented when he applied himself. So much better than we have upfront at the moment imo.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Surely if we are judging it on recent memorable moments, Buckley has to be up their for his brace against Doncaster?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The wall is supposed to represent moments in our History, Knight scoring and the celebration of that penalty is right up there IMHO.

Odious little twerp that he is.
But it doesn't though does it? Apart from the Knight picture what 'moments in our history' are represented? Until you can answer that question your answer is wrong, and calling it a 'Legends Wall', is nearer the mark.

And yes, Hart is more of a 'legend' that Knight.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Ian Hart for sure. I'm only half joking, the people who fought so hard to keep the club going through its darkest days deserve some sort of public recognition. Maybe a place on the legends wall for "The Fan's"?

But it doesn't though does it? Apart from the Knight picture what 'moments in our history' are represented? Until you can answer that question your answer is wrong, and calling it a 'Legends Wall', is nearer the mark.

And yes, Hart is more of a 'legend' that Knight.

You can call it whatever the hell you want to, I give not a single toss.

I don't care who's on it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You can call it whatever the hell you want to, I give not a single toss.

I don't care who's on it.
TBH neither do I. I was slightly miffed when it first went up that the Withdean era was massively over-represented, but I'm over it now. Whatever it is it's just another idea that hasn't been executed terribly well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If people actually think about the thread question "Who would you rather see on.." rather than the altered questions that they are presenting ("Who DESERVES to be on..", "Who do you LIKE better.." ) then I think more would vote Knight.

Q. Who would you rather see, on the banner?

A. Leon Knight in the famous pose, as every time I see that image, I'm reminded of a fantastic day following the Albion. If I were seeing a random image of Gary Hart, it would barely register. Yes he was a great servant of the club, but you can't sum that up in a single image, in the way that Knight's 'moment' is captured.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Knight arguably did more in one season than Hart did in his whole time at the Albion.

Even if you hate him, there is no denying his goals was the main reason the club went up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True, I reckon the Liam Knight that arrived here under Coppell would be having a field day in the current team. Whatever you think of him, he was extremely talented when he applied himself. So much better than we have upfront at the moment imo.

Who's Liam Knight?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
There is already a fantastic Hart picture up in 1901. Vintage Hart, sliding through the mud with grass on his face. No need to remove Leon. Butters on the other hand...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Agreed, and arguably as good as any forward that we have had since in my opinion ... IF, and a very big IF he was wiliing to apply himself.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Gary Hart is my equal favourite Brighton player EVER so him :thumbsup: But I'm sure we did this thread a while back, around the time of Leon posting on here.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Leon knight every time, that moment and pose is a key moment in the clubs history and is rightly there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here