Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who would be in your all-time BHA 4*100m relay team?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Where the hell did that random question come from? You must look at a computer screen too much! :lol:

That is a really interesting one as well. Footballers (and indeed most sportsmen) usually train for short explosive sprints - I wonder if many footballers could sustain their pace for 100m? Gary Hart must be in with a shout - was he not tested as one of the fastest at some point? LuaLua obviously, and wasn't Eliot Bennett as sprinter at some point? Who else?

Mark24

Mar 1, 2010
Hove
Dave Armstrong - fastest player I ever saw at the Goldstone... ball control let him down a bit though...!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Dave Armstrong for me. Fast as a greyhound, but unfortunately kicked a ball like one too!!

muvs

Aug 31, 2011
Mark Gall is unoffically the fastest post war player we have ever had, he came 2nd in the football league sprint challenge, although he had forgotten his boots and ran it in shoes, gary hart is a def in his early years, cms is like sh it off a shovel from a standing start and the other would be any Palace fan...cos there some of the quickest runners i ve ever seen!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I seem to recall also that one of the TV companies organised a competition years ago to find the fastest footballer, running 100m in football boots. Think it was won by a Swansea player they called the Flying Postman, but I'm pretty sure also that Stuart Storer, in his Bolton days, was up there. Funny, as I don't particularly remember him being outstandingly fast when he played for us.

I'm sure when Storer joined us we were told that he could run 100m in under 10 seconds but as you say, i don't remember him being exceptionally fast

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Wayne Gray (gave up sprinting to play football)
Nathan Jones
Will Buckley
Lua Lua

With the reserve team of:
Guy Butters
Warren Aspinall
Darren Currie
Robbie Savage (well he never moved much...)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dave Armstrong for me. Fast as a greyhound, but unfortunately kicked a ball like one too!!

Dave Armstrong was lightning quick - fastest I've seen. He'd have to be first in the squad (terrible footballer though)

OGH was fast for us in his early days

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
100 metres is a hell of a long way for a footballer to run. We watch Noone and Lua Lua blow away big defenders over 10 and 20 metres, my money would be on them getting caught by the tall defenders over 100. Compare the physique of Noone and Usain Bolt....a slight difference?

I would put my £1 on Ankergren in the current team: 50p each way at 500/1.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Has to be Dave Armstrong. Sometimes forgot to take the ball with him unfortunately. And Peter Ward in his pomp could not be caught once he got away. And he did have the ball with him and under control

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here