Who will we play first at Falmer?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
No you don't, I'll go with Adams as well.

However what wager he leads us out at Falmer ?

Now that is interesting call!

I reckon it will be Mr McGhee but anything could happen!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buzza said:
Now that is interesting call!

I reckon it will be Mr McGhee but anything could happen!

I hope it is McGhee as well he is hell bent on improving the quality of the team and the style of play.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Halftime Oranges said:
Chelsea and win:clap2:

Something more meaningful and apt to how we got to Falmer for me.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
why not a dick knight eleven with micky as manager. make it a night for the main man to remember. i,m sure plenty of players from the past and a few extras will honour the fact that it was the drive of one man who has given us this stadium.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Crystal Palace for me. Or a big Premiership club. I can see why Doncaster Rovers would mean something (not so much Wrexham).

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Hereford United...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The idea of the four way mini-tournament is growing on me, perhaps it could be done on the same basis as the Amsterdam tournament with two consecutive games on a Thursday and Sunday evening. I have always wanted our first opponent to be Doncaster, who will hopefully be playing in a new stadium themselves by the time we get to Falmer, but the idea of having Wrexham and AFC Wimbledon there too is a grand idea.

I thought that we were Southamptons' first opponents at St Marys as we had also been their first at the Dell, but I may be wrong there. I don't think that we should just go for some big named opponent because we can, after all if we choose Celtic then Falmer could be overrun with Neds trying to find Buckfast, our stay could be short lived.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I do not want Celtic to be here for the first game.

Not because of whether I sit on any side of the ridiculous sectarian divide (and I don't - I can't get my head around that nonsense), but because, Adam Virgo's transfer aside, Celtic have played no part in our history, and are therefore about as relevant as, say Real Madrid or Glasgow Rangers, or Blyth Spartans.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
DJ Leon said:
Crystal Palace for me. Or a big Premiership club. I can see why Doncaster Rovers would mean something (not so much Wrexham).
Palace? There would bound to be some trouble so I don't think that's a great idea for the first game do you?

I think Celtic would be great. There's the McGhee connection and they always bring loads to away games in England.

Or Arsenal or Tottenham. Not Doncaster Rovers - we want to sell out!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
An albion legends side, Ward,Zamora,MAYO!,etc etc like the mayo testimonial.

:albion:

Vrs The current squad.

stratford seagull

Jul 30, 2003
Swindon
I have to say I favour the Gala Day type idea - more of a celebration event, rather than a competitive fixture against a big club.

I would love to see players (and managers), particularly those who've contributed such a lot to the Albion over the last 10 years or so, given the chance to play at Falmer.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
stratford seagull said:
I have to say I favour the Gala Day type idea - more of a celebration event, rather than a competitive fixture against a big club.

I would love to see players (and managers), particularly those who've contributed such a lot to the Albion over the last 10 years or so, given the chance to play at Falmer.

Yeah I'd like a Withdean 11 - the longest erving Withdean players not in the squad in 2008 who were waiting for the ground get to play in it. Add Donny, Wrexham, AFC Wimbledon and it could be a great day.:clap2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
pasty said:
I would be very very unhappy if we played Palace for the first game at Falmer. Consider the fact that they might just possibly beat us. Could you really live with our brand new shiny stadium being sullied by the first ever game being played there resulting in a home defeat by Palace? We'd never ever live it down.

Of course, the obverse to that is the joy and rapture involved if the first ever game being played there resulted in beating Palace, but I'd rather not take the risk.
I feel exactly the same. Not worth the risk. We'd have to take the stadium down. Look what happened to Wembley when we lost to the Germans - but we can't afford to rebuild it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
unless we start converting these games, it will be Colchester or Leigh RMI...LOL

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Doncaster Rovers.

Or if not, then an Albion Old Boys XI consisting of the team who played against Donny in the last Goldstone game - for a bit of continuity and a farewell to the past. Guaranteed we won't lose as well, whatever the score...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports