Who were clubs that voted to expel us from the League?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I imagine the clubs that voted for this were in the bottom league and wanted to guarantee we took the relegation place to non-league that year.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That would explain 4 or 5..... but 17 clubs?

Plenty of directors not liking the idea of fans organising themselves and rebelling against the paternalistic way that the clubs were being run. The idea of scrutiny from the massed ranks would have appalled many of those in control.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
The others were friends of Northern Clubs threatened and some who felt their attendances would improve as a result of us being non league.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Not sure if they were still entitled to vote at that meeting, but the then Hereford Chairman & Secretary were making a lot of noise at the time about the "unfairness of pro Brighton media reporting" & spitting plenty of sour grapes to the national media. I suspect they may have been doing a fair bit of lobbying at the time?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
What possible advantage would some of these clubs have if Brighton were expelled? Thats what I find so hard to understand. I'm sure alot of those clubs are now themselves in finacial difficulty, so why vote to expel us? I just don't get it!

Were YOU at the 4-4 game in 1997?

Just remember certain members of the crowd attacked Orient players on the field including "Butch" Wilkins, I think that was his last=-ever League game.

Whatever the rights of your desire for a ground, attacking opposition players on the field, and potentuially crippling them, is a big no-no. That would negate any desire to maximise gate receipts.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Were YOU at the 4-4 game in 1997?

Just remember certain members of the crowd attacked Orient players on the field including "Butch" Wilkins, I think that was his last=-ever League game.

Whatever the rights of your desire for a ground, attacking opposition players on the field, and potentuially crippling them, is a big no-no. That would negate any desire to maximise gate receipts.

Yes I was there, seem to remember it was 2 fans that tried to attack McGleish, didnt work and ended up arrested.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
I think we need to know which were the actual clubs..i seem to remember for some reason that Mansfield were one, along with Rochdale, Hartlepool, Darlington, Orient and Millwall.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Orient didn't. Hearn upset that goon bueno (older nsc posters may recall him)over that. Southend, Rotherham, Plymouth I think, Mansfield and Darlington were the ones who publicly admitted it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why would Millwall whose chairman I think was Theo Paphitis, have voted against us as they offered us the Den but the League and Police stopped it going any further.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
Hearn the GOBSHITE was the instigator of it after the Orient match at the Goldstone wen RAY BUTCH WILKINS got beat up on the pitch by a fan and that BASTARD Mcgleish gave the dropping down signs to the North Stand after he put them 3 nil up ???

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Hearn the GOBSHITE was the instigator of it after the Orient match at the Goldstone wen RAY BUTCH WILKINS got beat up on the pitch by a fan and that BASTARD Mcgleish gave the dropping down signs to the North Stand after he put them 3 nil up ???

We were 2-0 up at half time, then orient went 3-2 up, that's when McGleish did the going down sign to the north stand. Or so my old still functioning brain cells tell me.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
We were 2-0 up at half time, then orient went 3-2 up, that's when McGleish did the going down sign to the north stand. Or so my old still functioning brain cells tell me.

I have tried to tap into my brain cells on this one so many times to relive it but all I can see is our fan cuff himself to the post at half time to know for sure what happened.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Weren't Gillingham one of the clubs that voted to expel us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports