Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was your first favourite player?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Dalglish - I still don't think he is rated high enough outside mersyside.

Then Steve Foster - The headband thing!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Gary Lineker as my first football memories were from Mexico 86.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Definitely Johnny Crumplin, then Peter Smith, Jeff Minton, Gary Hart and finally Bobby Zamora.

papachris

When I was 12 I started a job helping the milkman in Redhill where I lived. The milkman was a big Albion fan and part of my wages was going to football with him and his mates.
I started going towards the end of the season where Peter Ward made his first couple of appearances. I was hooked straight away and my hero was Wardy. I was so lucky to start supporting during a fantastic time for the club. When my son started to go regularly with me Kurt Nogan was our main goalscoring threat so this would be his first 'hero'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I remember watching the ‘79 Cup Final and being transfixed by Liam Brady. He was unbelievable. The idea that he’d become our manager and help save the club is still astonishing to me.

For us? Fozzy. Double hard centre back and easy to pick out with the headband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Jairzinho,a World Cup game v who cares,the ball was launched out to the right wing,before it bounced he plucked it out of the air chest high on his left foot,killed the ball dead before landing,flicked it over a defender and on a ridiculous angle smashed it on the volley goal ward,it missed by a foot but to this day still the most incredible individual snippet of football I've ever seen,hard to believe he never played for Leeds.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
From a Brighton perspective, I probably had 3 in about 4 years. Wilkins first, then I loved Kurt Nogan (revisiting his stats, he scored 49 in 97 games for us in a pretty mediocre period between 1992 and 1995) and then Junior McDougald. As a striker in my younger years, it's no real surprise that my heroes were the top scorers...

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
1_PAY-2_LEO-SAYER1.jpg

The UNMISTAKABLE Peter Ward.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Steve Penney fav as a teenager. Case walks into any all time Albion XI in his pomp. Hans Kraay was always entertaining. But an all time fav Albion XI is a very different thing, from a all time best Albion XI. Personally I loved Doug Rougvie as well, not for his flare or talent, but just for his psychopathic tendencies.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Fred Binney, just prior to the days of Wardy becoming my all-time favourite. I am pretty sure Wardy is a demi-god in fact and sits on Mount Apollo along with other notables such as Dionysus etc.

BTW, strikes me that this thread is a quick reference way of seeing our respective ages!

Fred Binney for me too.. it was influenced by the fact that my Uncle's family who hailed from Plymouth knew him and his family! That and the fact that he scored goals was a heady combination for a nipper like me at the time! I was resistant to the charms of Wardy for a little while...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Ward.... in my era there was no competition....... Nobby Horton was a well respected leader.... but Wardy was the man.

For other clubs,... Dalgleish.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here