Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was the SLOWEST ever player to wear the STRIPES ?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I liked Butters but he was incredibly slow. Remember once seeing David Nugent overtake him in seconds even with a 20 yard head start.

Butters would have lost a race along the beach against the Athena B!!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Glen Thomas centre back who managed to score two own goals against Brentford. His shadow outpaced him. Also Jamie Campbell left back who we signed from Cambridge was painfully slow.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Wendy Wilkins. Legs on backwards. Least athletic footballer ever.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Darren Currie, was the most disappointingly slow player, as he was superbly skillful.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think JFC is a tad sluggish for a player operating at international level.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Legend and all that but Steve Foster, esp. Mk II, very rarely seemed to leave an area of about a 10 yard radius at the back. And when he did it was often with all the lithe manoeuvrability of the Great Pyramid at Giza. I think he may have weighed about the same too. I know, heresy etc.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Darren Currie, was the most disappointingly slow player, as he was superbly skillful.

first thing the sprung to mind for me. Obviously not THE slowest to play for us but if he had been a bit quicker he wouldn't have played for us.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Legend and all that but Steve Foster, esp. Mk II, very rarely seemed to leave an area of about a 10 yard radius at the back. And when he did it was often with all the lithe manoeuvrability of the Great Pyramid at Giza. I think he may have weighed about the same too. I know, heresy etc.

Having once watched him sink eight pints at lunchtime - one of them with me - during his time at Luton (both games had been called off) I can say that he definitely weighed similar and could have been filled with a similar volume of liquid.

Great player though, as was Butters. So much so I modelled most of my pub football centre back career on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here