Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was the first Albion player you met?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
George Parris on a Sussex FA Youth Module coaching course.

The only other one was Steve Cook as his brother was working at our place and he came to visit. This was just after THAT game against Man City at Withdean when we DUMPED them out of the cup :)

I'm fact, these are the only two professional football players I've ever met. Result that they both happened to be Albion players :thumbsup:

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Probably Tony Meola at the top of George Street in Hove
I can't recall anyone earlier than that, we also didn't exactly meet, me and my mates just shouted at him and he seemed pretty happy with our chance encounter

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Joe Corrigan, in a pub in Rottingdean

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Peter Ward in Buckingham Park in Shoreham. He was out walking his dog. I was star struck.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Lawro and Gary Williams, well, I say met, I served them lunch and drinks, they were with their respective partners at the Bridge pub in Shoreham where I worked part time when my ' in laws' were running it ! Late 70s /early 80s.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Teddy Maybank, Eric Potts & Peter Sayer on North Street. Invited us to a lock in at the Druids. And yes, it was a Friday night before a game!

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Mark Lawrenson at the South of England Show in the summer he signed for us I believe.
He was sat at a table signing signatures and all I can remember is that he had a cast on one of his arms.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Steve Piper, he was watching a match at Lewes FC, I’m sure it was a friendly or charity match, hard to remember exactly as it was so long ago and I was only a kid.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I went to the same school as Brian Powney. Seem to recall we all called him Joe. Don't remember him playing in goal for some reason.
Met Chris Cattlin at a fund raising. I sold tickets for the Seagull lottery. Lovely fella, told me he made his debut for Coventry against George Best. After that everyone else was easy!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Are you sure it wasn't Alex (oo oo) Dawson? He lived very near Easthill park at the end of Highland's Road??? Maybe Irvine inherited his house?

The first Brighton player I met was Denis Foreman (for much the same reason - we knew Kev and Michael, his sons, because they lived on Park Close near Easthill Park).

The first non-retired player I met was OGH in the hotel bar before the centenary dinner :love:

My memory says Willie Irvine, but 50 years ago?

Yes familiar with the Foremans, as was friends with the sons of a family who lived a few houses down

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
The one and only Steve Foster whilst watching Fishergate Flyers on a cold wet Sunday.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Dave Hollins. Our goalkeeper from the late 50's. He married my cousin. Used to put a couple of jumpers down in Queens Park and let us kids take pot shots at him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here