Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who should have the longer ban?

Who should get the longer ban from games?

• Ivan Toney

Votes: 128 76.2%
  • Mitrovic

Votes: 40 23.8%

• Total voters

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Without a shadow of a doubt (in my mind) Toney has brought the game into disrepute. Pre meditated, knew what he was doing, repeatedly.
Mitrovic is an idiot. Cant manhandle the ref even if it is in the heat of the battle. How long a ban did our Ashley get for tripping the ref that time? (I can google it, I suppose)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
My complete meaningless guess would be Mitrovich ban 7 games

Toney ban starting at the end of this coming season until the beginning of next season and a £35.50 fine

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As it’s not clear exactly what Toney did, it’s impossible to answer 🤷🏻‍♂️

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know its against the rules etc etc, but if it emerges that Toney was betting on games which he had absolutely NO involvement in, then I don't really see it as much of a big deal tbh. Maybe he's been spaffing acca's all over the shop for Morecombe to beat Farnsley Athletic, or Pompey to lose at Guisley Casuals, or whoever it is they're playing against these days. Is that so horrendous ?

Looking at it, I want Toney BANNED (ideally very soon) for purely selfish reasons, as it'll f*ck up Brentford. But in terms of the offence, I think Mitrovic laying his filthy paws on the ref and screaming in his face is far more serious, as that shithouse behaviour filters down to grass roots, gets copied, and adds to it being seen as "the norm" for any impressionable young kids or hungover yobbos on a Sunday morning.

When I come to power, if you lay your hands on the ref then you're off, and you get DOUBLE the usual ban (ie 6 matches).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know its against the rules etc etc, but if it emerges that Toney was betting on games which he had absolutely NO involvement in, then I don't really see it as much of a big deal tbh. Maybe he's been spaffing acca's all over the shop for Morecombe to beat Farnsley Athletic, or Pompey to lose at Guisley Casuals, or whoever it is they're playing against these days. Is that so horrendous ?

Looking at it, I want Toney BANNED (ideally very soon) for purely selfish reasons, as it'll f*ck up Brentford. But in terms of the offence, I think Mitrovic laying his filthy paws on the ref and screaming in his face is far more serious, as that shithouse behaviour filters down to grass roots, gets copied, and adds to it being seen as "the norm" for any impressionable young kids or hungover yobbos on a Sunday morning.

When I come to power, if you lay your hands on the ref then you're off, and you get DOUBLE the usual ban (ie 6 matches).
As it was only one hand .. 1 and a half times? 😉

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Toney situation is an absolute shambles by the FA. He's admitted numerous offences, all of which are enough to get him banned for a substantial period of time.

In the meantime, he's playing every week, and scoring goals that are keeping Brentford in a high position in the table, for which they will achieve prize money. It's so poor that they're dragging this out. And will probably give him a time-based ban rather than a match-based one, meaning he'll be banned for the summer period when there are no games.

Pathetic by the FA.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Now there was me thinking that players caught betting on matches would receive in a life ban. Back in the 60s you could sort of understand it as the pay was so much less than today and the players banned were
Looking to offset their win bonuses should they lose a match.
Tomey is payed a stack of money - his reason is greed. Throw the book at him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Without a shadow of a doubt (in my mind) Toney has brought the game into disrepute. Pre meditated, knew what he was doing, repeatedly.
Mitrovic is an idiot. Cant manhandle the ref even if it is in the heat of the battle. How long a ban did our Ashley get for tripping the ref that time? (I can google it, I suppose)
7 games.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As it’s not clear exactly what Toney did, it’s impossible to answer 🤷🏻‍♂️
Toney was first charged in November with conducting 232 breaches of the FA’s rule E8 between 25 February 2017 and 23 January 2021. The following month he was charged with breaching the same rule a further 30 times between 14 March 2017 and 18 February 2019. The alleged breaches began when Toney was a Newcastle player on loan at Scunthorpe, stretching to his current employment with the Bees.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Toney situation is an absolute shambles by the FA. He's admitted numerous offences, all of which are enough to get him banned for a substantial period of time.

In the meantime, he's playing every week, and scoring goals that are keeping Brentford in a high position in the table, for which they will achieve prize money. It's so poor that they're dragging this out. And will probably give him a time-based ban rather than a match-based one, meaning he'll be banned for the summer period when there are no games.

Pathetic by the FA.
AND has been called up by England.

#scratcheshead

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i reckon Toney gets a full season ban next season ( bottle job ) Mitrovic has to be at least 8 games in light of Ashley Barnes effort .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Based on what we know, I say Mitrovic.

I don't gamble (beyond an occasional lottery ticket and those tipping point machines with 2p/10p coins on the incredibly rare occassion I find my self in an arcade). The amount of gambling advertising and the strong link between gambling and sport (and with so much sponsorship within football in particular) it really sends mixed signals to punish someone for doing something that is so intrinsically linked to football these days. I appreciate there are issues with gambling addiction for some people, but that hasn't stopped numerous clubs wearing shirts with gambling company logos splashed across their shirts, while every other advert before and during a match is for one bookmaker or another. Laws in place stop (or should stop) children being influenced by Toney. There has not yet been any suggestion that Toney is throwing matches to help him win his own bets, so with that caveat in place, lower league players also gambling on football (without it impacting their own performances) isn't really an issue for me because it doesn't impact on the game.

Mitrovic manhandled the referee for making a textbook decision (with the advantage of video replay, so there's no mitigation about an unjust decision). People lower down the pyramid will copy that and it will have a negative impact on the game, increasing pushing away lower level refs, etc.

Of coure, Brentford are probably stronger than Fulham and it would weaken them more to lose Toney than losing Mitrovic would weaken Fulham (or at least Fulham look like they will fall away with or without their talisman), and I wonder how much that impacts people's views.

EDIT: That is my view. Looking at historic bans, lack of action against Fernandes v Liverpool. It would appear the FA view gambling as the worse issue (but not so bad they won't accept the sweet, sweet sponsorship moolah).

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I voted Mitro, but as we still have to play Bentford then maybe it's Toney. But Mitro would get our rivals Fullem loads of goals. But also the right reverend 'Praise the Lord' Toney has a few chances up his cheeky sleeve ahead of him....

So burn them both please. Burn them. BURN them. With rightous fire.
Aha! The face of modern British tolerant liberalism finally cracks! It's righteous (with an 'e') by the way. :wink: Enjoy your bibulous evening!

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here