Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who Scored Your 1st Albion Goal?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
When I was an active programme collecter,I used to buy other teams programmes after they'ed just played Brighton

Hoping to find a report and a few photos of their game against us.
Got quite a few like that,but sometimes it wouldn't work,espcially early 70s ones
when they were a bit slow getting round to printing them
then I'd try and buy the next one :lol:

I did the same for a while. They used to sell other club's programmes in a hut at the back of the East Terrace!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I did the same for a while. They used to sell other club's programmes in a hut at the back of the East Terrace!

I think they did in the North West corner too
by the tea hut maybe?

remember buying loads of Wembley ones
Cup Finals and England games

Wembley ones always had programme sellers near the back
back then it was the only way of finding out their addresses

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
maybe

bearing in mind the Black Prince signed for us at the beginning of December 1968

he only played two games at the Goldstone in 1968
scored in both of course

but,I know for a fact his goal against Bournemouth was scored in the South Stand goal

so,that leaves his home debut against Reading
I've no idea if it was a header or even in the North Stand goal I'm afraid

but the game was played on Friday 20th December 1968
presumably as to not clash with the last Saturday before Christmas

Thanks for the info. Maybe it was against Reading but that doesn't feel right. Perhaps it was in 1969.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I believe it was "Magic" Peter Ward who started the comeback against Millwall in Aug. '77. The other Albion scorers that day were Steve Piper and an own goal by Kitchener. I'm not sure of the order, and I couldn't find a detailed match report on-line. I know we went 2 down.

According to 'Seagulls', Wardy did indeed start the comeback. Then came the own goal before Stevie Piper nabbed the winner. I was there too - great game.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
it was Barrow on the Saturday before the Wolves game

Nobby Lawton and Eddie Spearritt scored the goals

there was a spike in the attendance for the Barrow game 20,936 (maybe purchasing tickets for the Wolves game?)

was the Wolves game all ticket?

its weird i remember standing in the chicken run quite near the top where it bent round into the northstand. it was 2-0 but the ground did not seem that full so not sure there was 20k there....

the first goal i remember was Kit Napier direct from a corner. The first non-goal i remember was Alan Duffy's shot hitting inside of post, then hitting the other side and bouncing out.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
maybe

bearing in mind the Black Prince signed for us at the beginning of December 1968

he only played two games at the Goldstone in 1968
scored in both of course

but,I know for a fact his goal against Bournemouth was scored in the South Stand goal

so,that leaves his home debut against Reading
I've no idea if it was a header or even in the North Stand goal I'm afraid

but the game was played on Friday 20th December 1968
presumably as to not clash with the last Saturday before Christmas
Alex Dawson scored 17 goals for us before the end of that season including 4 against Hartlepool away we won 5-2 ,Feb 22 1969 .He had a great scoring record and he was a Busby Babe scoring 45 from 80 games for Man Utd then 114 from 197 for Preston .For the Albion its 26 from 57 games ,overall roughly 1 every 2 games .

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
First I can remember . Standing on a stool which my Father made against Burnley in cup. Big crowd and think it was 3-3. Was pleased Ray Pointer played because I had his cigarette card. I think Mcnichol scored for Brighton from half way line

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Gavin Geddes.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
First I can remember . Standing on a stool which my Father made against Burnley in cup. Big crowd and think it was 3-3. Was pleased Ray Pointer played because I had his cigarette card. I think Mcnichol scored for Brighton from half way line

FA Cup R4 Jan 28 1961 . J.Bertolini, R.McNicol, D.Windross .3-3 .28,672. ? .Lost the replay 0-2.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

There's a great little report of that game in 'Seagulls'. FA Cup - Jan 61. Jack Bertolini scored your first Albion goal (a 'thunderbolt' apparently!). McNichol's goal is also described in detail - picked it up inside his own half before shooting from 35 yards, so maybe not from halfway line but a very memorable goal by all accounts.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Bobby Smith ( the ex Spurs and England one )....March 1965...top of table clash v Tranmere. Thumping header with about 15 mins to go. Thought it was going to be a draw but Sir Norman Gall headed a last minute winner ( 24,000 in bottom division!!! )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here