Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who says the Germans have no sense of humour?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Then you must be a whippersnapper. We didn't choke in 1990 or 1996 or 1998. I might add 1986 too.

Losing on penalties is choking, whatever way you slice it. We can't hack it.

1986 we weren't even good enough to beat a bang average 1 man team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Then you must be a whippersnapper. We didn't choke in 1990 or 1996 or 1998. I might add 1986 too.

Those penalty misses were all choking! Can't remember one of those misses being a world class save, they were mostly dreadful choking in the back of your throat chokers chokes.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Losing on pens say 6-5 and the one you missed was a world class save isn't choking, that is just bad luck. BUT I agree, the pens we missed had chokers written all over them. Scuffed shots, slips, blasts way over the bar, under hit side foots. Can't remember one of them being an outstanding save from the keeper.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Losing on penalties is choking, whatever way you slice it.
So when two teams go to penalties, you always define the losers as having choked? That's daft. One team has to lose, that doesn't mean they've lost because they choked. In 1996 we had won a penalty shoot-out before losing one.

So bang average that they won the World Cup. And had to cheat to beat us. Not sure how that's choking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Losing on pens say 6-5 and the one you missed was a would class save isn't choking, that is just bad luck. BUT I agree, the pens we missed had chokers written all over them. Scuffed shots, slips, blasts way over the bar, under hit side foots. Can't remember one of them being an outstanding save from the keeper.

Agreed.

So when two teams go to penalties, you always define the losers as having choked? That's daft. One team has to lose, that doesn't mean they've lost because they choked. In 1996 we had won a penalty shoot-out before losing one.

So bang average that they won the World Cup. And had to cheat to beat us. Not sure how that's choking.

We're talking about England though - and when it comes to penalties, we are the very DEFINITION of chokers. Its what we do. We're famous for it. Its how we exit tournaments. I can't believe you're even arguing the point !

And yes, Argentina were bang average. A two-bob ragtag collection of 2nd rate journeymen, hoofers and chancers, all carried by 1 man. Basically a latin-american Wales.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

So is the only way to not be considered chokers winning the world cup?

If not, what is the correct non-choking manner to be eliminated?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just curious Herr Tubthumper but do you have some family connection to Germany or are you an English person who has nailed his flag to a more successful footballing nation? I know Man of Harvey's falls into the first category but I never really understand the disdain towards England from someone who seems, well, so English.

The missus is half German but this is my only family connection. But, I admire the way the Germans play and really admired how they set about creating the system which produced the winning team two years back. I don't support them as such. As for England I can't be arsed with them any more, I really dislike most of the cock-sure players and their sense of entitlement. If a new crop come along who are not a bunch of over-paid bell-ends my thoughts might change. Until then I'll remain a Brighton supporter and nothing else. The last England game is saw was against Azerbaijan away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't understand why he can't praise other countries and cultures without constantly knocking our own.

I criticise the Tory party, the trains and the football team. All merited in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not sticking your penalty straight at the keeper and one into the top tier would be a start.

Not side footing it into the arms of the keeper as if placing a back pass would have been nice.

Not slipping over as you're about to strike the ball because you're too concerned about your body shape sending the keeper the wrong way would have helped.

Just having one, just one of our penalty misses being a worldy save tipped round the post through a wonder stop would have been refreshing. We've either not hit the target, or had shots so simple to save the keeper could have thrown his cap on the ball...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We're talking about England though - and when it comes to penalties, we are the very DEFINITION of chokers. Its what we do. We're famous for it. Its how we exit tournaments. I can't believe you're even arguing the point !
It's how a lot of teams exit tournaments. We sent Spain home in 1996 on penalties, then we got sent home on penalties, by a German side who never miss. I didn't see that as us choking.

And yes, Argentina were bang average.
I don't think you're grasping the concept of 'average'. They won the world cup, they were the best, quite a long way from average.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

By playing to our full potential, but losing to the better team. Not hanging on for dear life and then (at best) flidding up on the pens, as is our speciality.

It's how a lot of teams exit tournaments. We sent Spain home in 1996 on penalties, then we got sent home on penalties, by a German side who never miss. I didn't see that as us choking.

I don't think you're grasping the concept of 'average'. They won the world cup, they were the best, quite a long way from average.

Watch any one of our penalty shootout exits, and you will be besieged by chokers. From Waddle to Pearce to Batty to Lampard to Gerrard. Choke choke choke choke choke, then hometime. OBVIOUSLY other teams are also sent home this way too, but no other nation have made it into the artform England have over the years, to the extent that it is now passed down from different generations of players in the form of a gigantic mental block.

And I'm sorry, but Argentina 86 were average. The best team doesn't *always* win the World Cup. They played against us, Uruguay and Belgium in the knockouts to reach the Final (having qualified from a straightforward group where they only had to finish above Bulgaria and South Korea). I think France or Brazil would have wiped the floor with them in the knockouts, but they avoided them and progressed accordingly.

Are you telling me Greece were the best team in Europe in 2004 ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By playing to our full potential, but losing to the better team. Not hanging on for dear life and then (at best) ******** up on the pens
Why do people here feel the need to use language like that?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Herr Tubthumper has this stupid mentality where he can't bring himself to praise Germany without knocking this country. I don't understand why he can't praise other countries and cultures without constantly knocking our own. It's incredibly boring.

Agreed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've seen far worse.
Really?
But I was being flippant. Sincere apologies if it upset you.
Don't worry, I'm offended on the behalf of others (I know that's popular). People who are affected by the condition shouldn't need to read comments like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I fear we'll do a lot better than people think, but it's Germany's tournament. It simply has to be.

Germans will be semi's at least, obviously. But France will take some beating on their own patch. And Italy qualified well, unbeaten with 7 wins from a group including Croatia and Norway, they're always a good tournament side.

I think we'll probably bomb out in the quarters against the first decent team we meet. Its in the DNA.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
280px-UEFA_Euro_2016_qualifying_map.svg.png

It was actually pretty hard to be a European nation and NOT qualify for the Euros this time wasn't it. (Scotland managed it again, obviously).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
By playing to our full potential, but losing to the better team. Not hanging on for dear life and then (at best) flidding up on the pens, as is our speciality.

Watch any one of our penalty shootout exits, and you will be besieged by chokers. From Waddle to Pearce to Batty to Lampard to Gerrard. Choke choke choke choke choke, then hometime. OBVIOUSLY other teams are also sent home this way too, but no other nation have made it into the artform England have over the years, to the extent that it is now passed down from different generations of players in the form of a gigantic mental block.

And I'm sorry, but Argentina 86 were average. The best team doesn't *always* win the World Cup. They played against us, Uruguay and Belgium in the knockouts to reach the Final (having qualified from a straightforward group where they only had to finish above Bulgaria and South Korea). I think France or Brazil would have wiped the floor with them in the knockouts, but they avoided them and progressed accordingly.

Are you telling me Greece were the best team in Europe in 2004 ?
So who defines our 'full potential' then?

It seems to be the in thing to talk down the national side pre-tournament (useless no hopers etc etc) then continue to slate them afterwards as well.

To then say that they're not hitting the full potential is a bit odd, almost implying that the team that've been called awful for a few months were actually expected to do better. In those instances, I don't see how they can win if I'm honest.

Even if we lifted the cup I'm sure someone would find a way to call us lucky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here