Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is worst Stephens or Webster ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yes I did watch the game. Hes not the sort of player to charge up the pitch, never has been, never will be. Thats not his job. If people really thought Trossard and Gross were better than Stephens then im not sure what to say about that, they never charged up the pitch like you say you want and both gave away the ball more times with a lot less possession. Im not defending his performance, he was awful but others were worse so think its unfair the put more of the blame on him like some have.

To Stephens’ credit, I think his game was personally targeted by Wilder in almost a ‘stop Stephens, stop Brighton’ mentality. There was a reason why Stephens had very few options when he got the ball.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Webster had an absolutely terrible game . He got bullied by 2 strikers who last season were in the championship. He doesn’t look confident on the ball at all and I cannot see what he offers that Duffy doesn’t. Get Duffy back in ASAP

Stephens passing was a bit way ward at times but there were people around me saying, “go forward!!” , when he couldn’t as there was no movement !

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We need a midfield revolution to progress eg Stephens, Propper, March all great pros, solid performances etc but collectively add little in way of quality attacking football IMO. Certainly at PL level and standards demanded. How on Earth we find three better options however...we’ll, that’s the tricky bit isn’t it?!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
And stop Mooy. He immediately had 2 opponents on him, one seemingly man-marking the entire match.

Clearly had done his homework and had a plan which his players executed very efficiently.
We were poor all over the pitch but part of this was down to the opposition.

Onwards and upwards (Hopefully) :albion2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's why we need to have more than one creative player on the pitch at one time because it is normal to double mark the tricky players.

If all our players were a class above you couldn't afford to put two on one.

It’s interesting that Wilder set out to man mark.

Is Potter such a positive person and coach, that he won’t do that, instead relying 100% on our strengths and attack plan?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
All this talk of how shit Webster was, Dunk ****ed up a lot and was at fault for their goal. But let's not speak about that. Let's all have a go at two players in particular. One that even ****ing neutral sites had as our 4th best players.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All this talk of how shit Webster was, Dunk ****ed up a lot and was at fault for their goal. But let's not speak about that. Let's all have a go at two players in particular. One that even ****ing neutral sites had as our 4th best players.

Dunk was awful, he made McBurnie and McGoldrick look incredidble, whilst he played like Michael Keane.

It’s taboo to mention Dunk, Gross or Trossard in non favourable terms.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dunk wasn't anywhere near at his best but wasn't in anyway responsible for their goal that was 100% down to bad defending by Webster and Dunk just tried to make up for his mistake but was unable to get the tackle in to prevent the goal. That was how I saw it.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Did you go to the game or do you just blindly defend Stephens on stats? I don’t buy this ‘he had no options’ rubbish - he should learn how to charge at the opposition with the ball at pace, things tend to open up for you (Dunk does this successfully).

Pröpper had a fairly average and dull game but impressed at right back. Groß & Tross were anonymous but that was because Wilder had done an amazing job on Potter’s team in the first half and they simply had no space. None of the players you mentioned were worse than Stephens, click on the player rating thread and you’ll see that most agree.

Whilst I’d agree that Stephens is in a group of players who should currently be considered for POTS, he had an absolute stinker today, only surpassed by Webster. Yes they were all poor but you seemed obsessed with defending Stephens come what may - his performance yesterday was indefensible so just accept it and move on. Every player has an awful performance or two in the locker and Stephens produced his yesterday.

I was at the game and what I saw was Stephens quite often receiving the ball and having non-one forward of him available to pass to. Partly because of our own lack of movement but also because Sheff Utd were very disciplined in marking their men. I too thought that Gross and Trossard were practically invisible in the first half and although Stephens wasn't great has was far from being our worst player. Being in the middle of the park and getting the ball a lot means that he is reliant on those forward of him able to make a run and get space - they weren't doing it so he had two choices - a hopeful forward ball (which quite often got cut out) or the safe one back or square (which each time had the resident Stephens hater behind me shouting abuse at him). Singling out Stephens misses the point - he can't pick out a great pass if there's no-one to pass to.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Although I have been critical of Stephens in the past, I thought he had been a revelation this season.........until Saturday. He reverted to type giving the ball away, slowing the game down etc etc. Very poor display and I really felt for Biss being dropped to accommodate Stephens after doing so well at palace.

I always has concerns about Webster. He seems to switch off way too often. I hadn't publicly criticised him up until now; had to give him a chance to settle in but his form seems to be getting worse. Each game he seems to be worse than the last. No idea why he is getting picked ahead of Duffy. Barndoor Benteke won just about every header and that speaks volumes. It wouldn't have happened with Duffy in the side.

Who was worse? Difficult to say; they were both very poor. IMO both need replacing if we are looking for incremental improvement each season. Fortunately we already have Biss and White will hopefully be able to step up next season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Time to finish with this thread, I reckon.
Everyone has had their say, often mercilessly slagging off two of our own.
Let's give it a rest and put this 'Nightmare Before Christmas' performance behind us and put into perspective the general progress that has been made so far this season, in what is, after all, a work in progress.
In a strange way, the game may prove to be a blessing in disguise for everyone involved, from the Board, coaching staff, players and fans.Call it a reality check.
Out of adversity comes opportunity!

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Haven’t bothered to read through this thread as it’s Normal For NSC to find a scapegoat after a loss but if it was not for VAR would that scapegoat have been Ryan? Completely misjudged the flight for the first disallowed goal and a poor fumble for the 2nd. However he’s been immense this season - back to his first season’s best.

Just a bad day at the office on Saturday against a well organised team.

Oh, and I’ll plump for Webster(!).

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Firstly I've got to say I've never really seen what CH or GP have seen in Stephens to keep picking him. When he's been out of the side others have stepped in and performed well then lost the shirt back to him, he's always 1 rash tackle from a booking. Sat. people are saying that he had no movement in front of him so couldn't pass forward but I watched the forwards for awhile and they stop making forward runs because the ball just stopped coming. There comes a time when a player must make a decision for himself and Stephens on Sat. seem incapable of getting the ball and driving forward with it, there was even a time when he received a pass, should have move forward with it but instead turned back, straight into a Blades player and lost the ball with the WSU warning him that a player was there. For me, he lacks awareness of where players are at times. As for Webster this has been coming for awhile, he's weak in the air and not strong on the ground. At the moment he's not the c/b pairing for Dunk who seems to be covering him too much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here