Who is using Yodel this year?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
We had a parcel bought from E bay elivered by DPD and that was delivered by a non English speaking courier from their Crawley depot It was however exactly when the tracking said it would be delivered.within about 5 mins. Royal Mail are rubbish now as 1st class never arrives for at least 4 days from order or despatch.

Arent TNT and Hermes both owned by the same company in Germany or am I getting mixed up with another company.

Yodel and Collect Plus are owned by the same people - the Barclay brothers, who also own the Shop Direct group. Hermes are a part of a German-based group, with operations all over Europe pretty much.

DPD's tracking capabilities are yet to be really matched by any of the other operators in the marketplace. Given the size of Royal Mail's distribution network, I can't see them being able to roll out that kind of technology, but their network will always make them a big player (they do deliver about two-thirds of all UK parcels) because no other operator will want to deliver to the Shetland Islands etc.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We had a parcel bought from E bay elivered by DPD and that was delivered by a non English speaking courier from their Crawley depot It was however exactly when the tracking said it would be delivered.within about 5 mins. Royal Mail are rubbish now as 1st class never arrives for at least 4 days from order or despatch.

Arent TNT and Hermes both owned by the same company in Germany or am I getting mixed up with another company.

DPD are far and away the best ! - They message to say precisely when they are going to deliver and that is never wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just read on the net that TNT and Fed Ex are merging under the banner of TNT Airways as of a story published on 21st October 2015 UPS bought out TNT Express for $5.2bn in 2012. it appears.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We had TNT post delivering a while ago, did not last long as service was crap and most of the post was found dumped.
They now operate as Whistle!
Contract was eventually cancelled.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One of my sons works for Hermes and has never had a complaint that was justified. Many try it on saying the parcel wasnt left but he takes a photo when he puts it behind somewhere or in shedetc.

i like how you think this is acceptable. its not acceptable to just leave a delivery behind the flower pot or somewhere. Hermes are (were?) terrible for this sort of practice, ignoring that rain and cardbaord arent great friends. havent seen anything deliverd by them for a while though, hopefully lost contract due to such slap dash practice.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Just read on the net that TNT and Fed Ex are merging under the banner of TNT Airways as of a story published on 21st October 2015 UPS bought out TNT Express for $5.2bn in 2012. it appears.

The UPS takeover of TNT was blocked by the regulators. It'll be interesting to see if this deal goes through.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
026-027_viz172_parcel.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
After retiring from the pub for a short while a few years ago my wife and I covered a courier for Hermes and we always carried a roll of black bags not strong expensive ones but sufficient to keep a parcel dry if we had to leave it. It must be remembered that these couriers work during the day and a large number of people are not at home during the day and for 65p a parcel they didnt want to go back later. As Hermes as a company do over 1m parcels a night and most couriers do over 120 in a day it isnt practical to keep undelivered parcels until the next day.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
i like how you think this is acceptable. its not acceptable to just leave a delivery behind the flower pot or somewhere. Hermes are (were?) terrible for this sort of practice, ignoring that rain and cardbaord arent great friends. havent seen anything deliverd by them for a while though, hopefully lost contract due to such slap dash practice.[/QUOTE

This sort of thing is a really fine balancing act for a lot of operators. You've got the contrast between customers wanting their parcels as fast as possible, and without having to arrange a re-delivery or have to trek out to a warehouse or delivery depot, versus not wanting parcels to be left in odd places. A few operators have taken to leaving parcels in recycle bins for instance, which is mental. Royal Mail's deliver to neighbour scheme is about the best solution.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It must be remembered that these couriers work during the day and a large number of people are not at home during the day and for 65p a parcel they didnt want to go back later. As Hermes as a company do over 1m parcels a night and most couriers do over 120 in a day it isnt practical to keep undelivered parcels until the next day.

it must also be remembered that lots of people stay in for for next day delivery, so it helpful to ring the fuking doorbell rather then just dump the parcel and write a note to say "you were out". after a couple of these incidents we stopped next day deliveries from a retailer using Hermes, instead going for the free 2nd class which meant reliably picking up from the post office depot 2 days later.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
i like how you think this is acceptable. its not acceptable to just leave a delivery behind the flower pot or somewhere. Hermes are (were?) terrible for this sort of practice, ignoring that rain and cardbaord arent great friends. havent seen anything deliverd by them for a while though, hopefully lost contract due to such slap dash practice.[/QUOTE

This sort of thing is a really fine balancing act for a lot of operators. You've got the contrast between customers wanting their parcels as fast as possible, and without having to arrange a re-delivery or have to trek out to a warehouse or delivery depot, versus not wanting parcels to be left in odd places. A few operators have taken to leaving parcels in recycle bins for instance, which is mental. Royal Mail's deliver to neighbour scheme is about the best solution.

So why cannot the rest of the couriers work to Royal Mail's system, rather than adopt the pony express way?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hermes do try neighbours but quite often they are at work also but after while you get to know who is nomally at home and leave it there with a card put through the door saying it has been left at no37 or whatever.

We had1 occasion when we delivered a parcel from John Lewis to a house and the woman complained that it was delivered by car not a John Lewis sign marked van.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am proud to say that in the 2yrs we did it we didnt have 1 complaint other than soimebody said they didnt find it in the shed but my wife told them exctly where in the shed she put it next toa dolls house and we heard nothing further. I must say seeing how busy it has got and how the use of couriers have increased I am not sorry we packed it up when we bought our new car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports