Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is good enough to get us promotion next season?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Kuipers - YES
Whing - MAYBE
Elphick - MAYBE
Tunnicliffe - YES
McNulty - YES
Bennett - YES
Crofts - YES
Dicker - YES
Cox - MAYBE
Forster - MAYBE (OAP STATUS PERMITTING)
Murray - YES
Dickinson - YES
Davies - YES
Hart - NO
Wright - MAYBE
Navarro - MAYBE
El-abd - NO
McLeod - MAYBE (FITNESS PERMITTING)
Hawkins - NO
Livermore - NO
Smith - MAYBE (SURELY HE MUST BE BETTER THAN THIS?)
Virgo - NO

Is about right. It is not the lack of quality in the squad that is a problem, more poor coaching. Tunnicliffe is 20 years old and actually looking at our back 4 on Saturday the average age was about 22. Thats too young, but a couple of experienced players added to our squad would make all the difference.

Typically WW dismisses our entire squad, which only goes to show how little he knows.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Absolutely. It is a pointless exercise. Let Poyet see the players - decide how we are going to play to get the best from the squad and decide on signings. We may be surprised who plays better under the new manager - and who does not fit in. To dismiss the squad wholesale just shows a lack of knowledge of the game. Poyets job (like Capello has done) is to make the team play better than the sum of its parts. To just decide on the parts without seeing how Poyet plans to use them is to look only at part of the picture.

Skills

Aug 4, 2008
Brighton
Kuipers - yes
Whing - backup
Elphick - backup
Tunnicliffe - yes
McNulty - yes
Bennett - yes
Crofts - yes
Dicker - yes
Cox - backup
Forster - rotation
Murray - yes
Dickinson - yes
Davies - no
Hart - no
Wright - no
Navarro - no
El-abd - no
McLeod - no
Hawkins - no
Livermore - no
Smith - no
virgo - yes

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Look at it in terms of England. Under McLaren we were shitting ourselves having to play Croatia and failed to qualify for the Euros. There is no change in players - but we have stuffed Croatia twice and people are talking about us in terms of winning the World Cup.

If you had done the same exercise after missing on the Euros - it would be easy to dismiss the players. Look at the change under Capello. I am not saying Poyet is Capello (we wish) - but that is the difference he made with the same players.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes, the same squad that has got us hovering a place above the relegation zone - how little I know!

Whatever you may or may not know, this is hardly a helpful exercise. It is just another vehicle for you to moan and slag off the players, which is what you enjoy most seemingly. As others have said why not let Poyet decide? As I said in my earlier post, players like Smith and Navarro clearly can be good enough, as they were last season, but are yet to show it for us. Hopefully Poyet can turn them around.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What a ridiculous comment.

What did you expect?

Whatever you may or may not know, this is hardly a helpful exercise. It is just another vehicle for you to moan and slag off the players, which is what you enjoy most seemingly. As others have said why not let Poyet decide? As I said in my earlier post, players like Smith and Navarro clearly can be good enough, as they were last season, but are yet to show it for us. Hopefully Poyet can turn them around.

Erm, I'm not actually trying to influence the views of Poyet, as I imagine that's pretty much impossible unless you know the man quite well and he trusts you.

Why have a go at me when theres about 30 other people who've joined in on this thread? It's only topical discussion, nothing more, nothing else.

Also, as Dick Knights mumm points out, in the unlikely event Poyet turns out to be a world class manager, then it might be possible to get crap players to perform well as a team, making this individualisation irrelevent.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Maybe because all you do is moan and you do spend most of your time slagging off the players, management etc.

Don't think I've slagged off players or management on this thread, just pointed out what the league table clearly shows, our squad isn't strong enough for promotion...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't think I've slagged off players or management on this thread, just pointed out what the league table clearly shows, our squad isn't strong enough for promotion...

How many realists ever really thought it was? Promotion would be great but I don't go along with this idea that we HAVE to be in the Championship when we move into Falmer. It would be fantastic but by no means really necessary imo. Reading spent a while in League 1 with a new stadium before getting into the Championship, and gradually built up a decent following. We are unlikely to do anymore than equal what they have done over the next few years.

Depends what your expectations are I guess, but I'm happy that the players we have now are better than what we have had for a while. We're not Leeds, we may never be as big as them and it may take a few years to get promoted :shrug:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Yes, the same squad that has got us hovering a place above the relegation zone - how little I know!

As I pointed out, more to do with the coaching then the players ability. Lots of young players combined with poor coaching will inevitably lead to poor performances, hopefully this problem will be resolved once Poyet has been given time(yes time) to sort this out.

Still don't suppose you care about anyone elses opinion, your too busy typing your own particular brand of negativity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here