Paul Janssen
Arthur Conan Doyle
Reginald J. Mitchell

And many others

Hammill, Rowling and Doyle :bowdown:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've been lucky enough to meet a couple of people in my career who I consider border line genius.

One is an expert on subtitling and the other an elderly mathematician/programmer (who worked on the first version of Windows) who was obsessed with television "metadata", i.e. the stuff that appears on your TV/On Demand menu.

Both having a huge influence in the TV industry but both very academic and under the covers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That little old guy in his shed, who invented the wind up radio.
I've met Trevor Baylis a couple of times - in fact, I did some work for him once (a very small amount). He was a nice bloke but I wouldn't have called him a genius

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stephen Hawkins
Not the physicist Stephen Hawking then?

Maybe you meant this Rock God?

1698969835408.png

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In his autobiography, Stephen Fry recounts a story of his time at prep school. Intrigued to know what information is held about him, he breaks into the headmaster's study one Saturday afternoon whilst the rest of the school are playing cricket and retrieves his file from a large cabinet. Inside his file he discovers his 11+ exam paper and instead of a score, the examiner had simply written, "Approaching genius."

Such was his arrogance at the time, Fry recalls stalking out of the room, utterly indignant about the examiner's inclusion of the qualifier, "approaching."

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In his autobiography, Stephen Fry recounts a story of his time at prep school. Intrigued to know what information is held about him, he breaks into the headmaster's study one Saturday afternoon whilst the rest of the school are playing cricket and retrieves his file from a large cabinet. Inside his file he discovers his 11+ exam paper and instead of a score, the examiner had simply written, "Approaching genius."

I guess for most people that would be enough, but Fry recounts that his arrogance at the time was such that he left the room utterly indignant about the examiner's inclusion of the qualifier "approaching."
Welcome back :thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The most overused word in our language. I read this definition of a genius

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.”
Much as I admire the great musicians and composers, I could not call them geniuses. I guess it is the great thinkers and inventors that deserve the title

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
David Gilmour
Jim Goodnight (my CEO)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Donald J Trump

It’s what he claims the “J” stands for