Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who has been Brightons best ever transfer signing?

Who has been our best ever signing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
We've had a lot of great deals over the years, particularly recently, but which would you consider to be the best?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For the transformative impact, for a player in the fourth tier who helped us to back to back championships, and went on to get an England call up, when the ball hits the net like a f***ing rocket, it's Zamora.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
In terms of wow factor for me it would be Vicente. For him to have come to us at that time was unreal, a brilliant player from the continent that I had heard of. Of course he had his issues, but wouldn't have come to us otherwise

In terms of value for money it can surely only be Gross. What a player he has been for us

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Mine is probably Zamora. We were deep in an era where we never signed loan players that were any good permanently. It blew my mind that we had spent £100k on a player after such a bleak period signings-wise. It absolutely signaled the start of a new era under the Knight consortium and one of my favourite periods of being an Albion fan.

Put simply, if Zamora played, he scored and we won almost every time. I've rarely (if ever) felt as bulletproof going into matches as an Albion fan as I did then.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Mine is probably Zamora. We were deep in an era where we never signed loan players that were any good permanently. It blew my mind that we had spent £100k on a player after such a bleak period signings-wise. It absolutely signaled the start of a new era under the Knight consortium and one of my favourite periods of being an Albion fan.

Put simply, if Zamora played, he scored and we won almost every time. I've rarely (if ever) felt as bulletproof going into matches as an Albion fan as I did then.

Any excuse to have a rewatch of this vid (doesn't include his second stint goals).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bobby Z for me. Not just for the effect he had on the team/club(which was HUGE) but for the fact that we sold him for about 15 times what we payed for him.

I wasn't around for Ward so I can't comment on him and the effect he had on the club. I'd guess we sold him for considerably more than 15 times what we paid.

The others are all magnificent players(well, maybe not Turienzo...) but none of them are as iconic as either Zamora or Ward and none of them had the same effect on the club as big bad Bobby Z.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Pascal Gross would be our Captain were it not for the presence of Lewis Dunk.

He's that good, that influential, that well regarded.

It will be to my eternal shame that I thought he was past it a couple of seasons ago.

He's made me eat so much humble pie since then that I'm pretty sure I am actually more pie than human.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
At a time when we needed attitude, reliability, versatility and specifically value, I'm glad that my wearer has been mentioned in the shortlist.

1998-2011
373 appearances
45 goals

All of that for a grand and a set of tracksuits.

I actually chose my NSC moniker as I imagined Gary Hart's post-match shirt to be always drenched in sweat because he always gave 100%.

A great example for any young player and plenty of wonderful memories along the way that helped us in our journey to now.

Always a 7 out of 10 player on workload alone. Never let us down. Appreciated by all Albion fans.

Oh Gary Hart indeed.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The answer is Bobby Zamora.

The other will all make us fabulous profit or have been brilliant. But Zamora transformed the club. Watching an international level striker pummel 4th division defences was a rare gift to be able to see.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
At a time when we needed attitude, reliability, versatility and specifically value, I'm glad that my wearer has been mentioned in the shortlist.

1998-2011
373 appearances
45 goals

All of that for a grand and a set of tracksuits.

I actually chose my NSC moniker as I imagined Gary Hart's post-match shirt to be always drenched in sweat because he always gave 100%.

A great example for any young player and plenty of wonderful memories along the way that helped us in our journey to now.

Always a 7 out of 10 player on workload alone. Never let us down. Appreciated by all Albion fans.

Oh Gary Hart indeed.
Run through that brick wall for us would you Harty?

Crashhhhhhhh

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Gross may have been until recently our best technically gifted player and bought for a bargin. but the best has to be Zamora, gave us hope of brighter future.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Weirdly, there is an argument to be made that it may have been a player who never kicked a ball for us. The August 2018 signing of Billy Arce for about a quarter of a million didn't work out for the player, but made the connections that led to us being seen in South America as a direct route to the EPL. A route so far taken by Mac Allister, Caicedo, Enciso & Buonanotte.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The answer is Bobby Zamora.

The other will all make us fabulous profit or have been brilliant. But Zamora transformed the club. Watching an international level striker pummel 4th division defences was a rare gift to be able to see.
It was. But we still ended up back in League 1 once he'd moved on. I'm not sure he transformed the club, I think he was just the first bit of real positivity we'd had for a very long time.

Has anyone mentioned Veltman yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here