Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who Do You Want As The Next England Manager?...

Who Do You Want As The Next England Manager?...

• Total voters

Jose Mourinho I doubt he'd want it and he's too much his own man, the FA will be wary of appointing him as they couldn't control him. The same reason Brian Clough didn't get the job despite being far and away the best candidate.

Martin O'Neill 9/2 Again, would he want it after evidently being turned down last time for a poor interview. Personally I think he would do a good job but i doubt he would want the hassle, especially with his wife not being well. He'd be better off staying at Villa, at least he doesn't have Deadly Doug to deal with any more!

Luis Scolari damaged goods in the FA's eyes - mind you, it was them who damaged him!

Guus Hiddink again, why would he want the hassle? He's well set up living part time in the best hotels and most of the time at home, all while earning loadsamoney

Fabio Cappello Maybe, but I hope not. I think the FA whatever they might say will want to go for an English manager

Harry Redknapp Too tainted with bungs suspicion, again the FA would be scared off. a la Terry Venables

Sam Allardyce As above

Stuart pearce Is the correct answer IMHO. Arguably a bit too soon for him but part of the problem has been the seemingly difficult motivation for some players in an England shirt. he would definitely fix that. As long has he has help from someone tactically astute, and maybe a bit older, I think he would do fine. He's done a good job with the U21's

Alan Shearer Too soon for him. Should go and learn the management trade from the bottom up. But if I was in the FA I would find a way to get him involved somewhere. One for the future.

Marcelo Lippi Don't know enough about him to really comment except that I think the FA will go English

Steve Coppell Would be a good call. Maybe he could be the guy to work with Pearce?

Frank Rijkaard, Jurgen Klinsmann, Martin Jol all fail the Englih test. I'm not saying I wouldn't chose a non-English manager, just that I don't think the FA will unless there was a really outstanding candidate.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Slaven Bilic for me.

I say we wait to see what he does at the Euro's and then snap him up straight after.

In the interim what's the point in even bothering? We've nothing to play for and barely any decent players.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Stuart Pearce? The man who put David James upfront for Man City and did nothing for Man City?

The job is a poison chalice. The problems with English football run far deeper than whoever is in charge of the natinal team.

Scolari, Capello, Lippi. All good managers but have they honestly got the talent to work with?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Interesting run-down Bob.

I don't think Martin O'Neill is 'over-rated' as such, more he hasn't been tested at a bigger club with bigger egos. It was no mean achievement to push Mourinho's Porto side all the way in the UEFA Cup Final - Celtic having got there playing some pretty decent football.
That was a decent achievement, Henrik Larrsson was the only reason they pushed that match as far as they did though.

He's had success wherever he's been but the football has usually not been sophisticated, big players at the back, big players at the front, he also made some pretty bad signings there (and a couple at Villa too, Zat Knight and Marlon Harewood spring to mind). He's a good manager no doubt but he doesn't inspire me, I'm not convinced we'd do any better than say the Sven era (although that doesn't seem too bad right now). He'd at least be a choice I could get behind though, it might work, McClaren was obviously wrong from the start.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'd like to see someone like Roy Keene, maybe not now, but he has a no nonsense, leave your ego at the door attitude and can motivate players. He just needs time to explore the more tactical stuff

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Scolari or Hiddinck - because i feel we need someone with no pre-concieved ideas about which players to pick to play for England (players like Lampard etc, which are based on name and not performances)

They have also been successful at international level, very good tactically and can get the best out of the players available to them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
NOT MOURINHO.

Please not him. He represents yet another bling bling premiershite **** who cares not a jot for the fans. His style of football is boring and he's just an ego on legs.

Can we have someone who actually cares about the job, the country, the fans?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We are the Newcastle Utd of world football and, like them, there is always some mug who will take the fat salary that is offered.

I don't think the media are any worse now than in the last 25 years, and when we have got in a decent manager - Venables, Bobby Robson - we've actually done OK.

The problem is attracting the right man for the job. Too often the FA have made bad decisions. Post-Ramsey I'd judge them as follows:

Revie - poor decision - unpopular with players
Greenwood - poor decision - FA yes man
Bobby Robson - good choice
Graham Taylor - poor choice, had won f*** all
Venables - good choice
Hoddle - so-so
Keegan - poor choice as defensively inept before offered job
Sven - good choice at the time, so-so on reflection
McLaren - worst of the bunch. Nightmare.

So that's 5 poor appointments out of 9, 2 that were iffy, 2 that were good.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I hate it with all these rose tinted spectacles about Venables. He's only looked upon kindly because he was in the job when Euro 96 was about and English football was feeling good about itself. He didn't have to qualify, and then at the tournament itself we only actually won two matches (and one of those was against Scotland).

The best in recent times has been Bobby Robson. Apparently he did want to stay on psat Italia 90 but the press didn't like him and so he decided to get out. They apologised after we got to the semi-finals. I thought Hoddle was a good coach and should never had gone for the disabled comments. Keegan was the worst choice, even worse than McLaren.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I hate it with all these rose tinted spectacles about Venables. He's only looked upon kindly because he was in the job when Euro 96 was about and English football was feeling good about itself. He didn't have to qualify, and then at the tournament itself we only actually won two matches (and one of those was against Scotland).

The best in recent times has been Bobby Robson. Apparently he did want to stay on psat Italia 90 but the press didn't like him and so he decided to get out. They apologised after we got to the semi-finals. I thought Hoddle was a good coach and should never had gone for the disabled comments. Keegan was the worst choice, even worse than McLaren.

Robson partly went due to the press, but also Kelly and Millichip said they would not discuss his position until after the tournament, so he saw that as not being wanted and went off to PSV (who he promptly won the title with).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here