Who do you blame for the late equaliser today?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame?

• The referee - played too much stoppage time

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • Ashley Barnes - embarrassingly wasteful

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • Our defence - caught napping at the end

Votes: 38 37.3%
  • Gus - should have taken Barnes off a lot sooner

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • It was just bad luck

Votes: 16 15.7%

• Total voters

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Radio Sx pundits blamed Hoskins & Crofts for school boy errors of not keeping in the opposite corner / avoidable offside .... that without, would have seen the clock run down.

I believe this is correct. Plus of course the ref for playing 8 added mins instead of 5.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
are we just talking about the goal? ...needlessly got offside in the far corner (north west) when we could have played out time over there...ball broke...bruno was beaten for pace (poor sod works the line all game)...as he was trying to cover he beckoned for help but the defence just sat back..Bridcutt being nearest game ..but they did what we failed to do for majority of game ..score..from about there only good opening

exactly as I saw it. Bruno knew Eagles had him for pace and he scereamed for cover and didn;t get it. Don't particularly blame Bruno for this. Cover should have got there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Lots of people to blame today. Just another exhibition of our inability to close games out. Referee did not help but allowing them to kick us al over the park mind. I was SO ANGRY earlier but now I can't help but realise that we're realy getting there. We bossed a team full of decent players, like I haven't seen us do for YEARS. We're learning and soon we're gonna RUN TINGS PROPER.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
A combination of all of these. Gus's tactics were at fault - Barnes' confidence was shot as soon as he missed the penalty, and he should have come off well before the 75th minute or whatever it was (by the way, I am NOT a Barnes knocker), and he should have been replaced with Hoskins, not Crofts, who added nothing whatever. (Dobbie could have come on for CMS if he needed replacing). Then, the game should have been out of sight for Bolton, so the forward line as a whole should take responsibility. Barnes has been rightly criticised for not putting the rebound into the vacant space left by Bogdan, but he wasn't alone: why when he had his chance in the second half did Orlandi wait till he had recovered? He should have leathered the ball home. The defence must also take some blame - a direct parallel with Wolves. Also, 2 minutes from the end is the time to be running the ball down by the corner flag, not when 5 minutes are up on the board. That seems to me just as dangerous as going for the jugular. At least if you do that and concede you were trying to go for a bigger win. So for me the blame should be shared. It wasn't down to one individual.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
There is absolutely only one person to blame - Big Tommy.

95 minutes on the clock and he has the ball in his arms. Rather than roll it out to Greer, he hoofed it forward, we lost possession and Bolton put it in the net.

Brighton were superb, Bogdan was unbelievable, Kuzczack showed some nievity and is cost us two points. Not the end of the world, just very, very disappointing.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

95 minutes on the clock and he has the ball in his arms. Rather than roll it out to Greer, he hoofed it forward, we lost possession and Bolton put it in the net.

Brighton were superb, Bogdan was unbelievable, Kuzczack showed some nievity and is cost us two points. Not the end of the world, just very, very disappointing.

I am surprised how few people have identified this.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Just like Ankegren against Leeds last year. You'd think they'd know better.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Gus but not for the Barnes situation, just for negative substitutions when we were bossing the game. Felt he brought on Calderon just to give him game time to keep him happy. Painter was doing ok.Crofts and Hammond CANNOT play together they run into the same space.

And if Gus hadn't made those changes and the Bolton attacking subs that were brought on around this time won the game for them, some would be wondering why he didn't go more defensive (a case of your damned if you do and your damned if you don't)

I 'blame' (if that's the right word) the Bolton goalkeeper and / or the managers from the premier league or abroad who didn't buy him from Bolton in the summer.

I would also add, did the crowd getting nervous and worried about an equalizer transmit to the players, making them more nervous and drop back further?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Their keeper played a blinder and stopped us running up a commanding lead. Oh, and right at the end we had a corner and just tamely surrendered the ball to Bolton instead of even attempting to run the clock down. They ran up the other end and scored. Stupid stupid stupid.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
We hit the woodwork 3 times,ball bounces out.....they hit the post once,the ball deflects in,but to have a penalty,saved,rebound,saved,another attempt wide...must say they have a very good goalkeeper or a very lucky one...anyway you look at it we should've been 3-0 up by half time.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Did you also count how many CMS missed and Orlandi's soft shots or were you concentrating on Barnes just so that you could post that on here?

CMS missed three, one he really should have scored and Orlandi really should have buried his chance. I'm not someone who is out to get Barnes as some are so don't think I have an agenda. But you can't miss that many chances and still keep your shirt. CMS does score goals, something I think Barnes has forgotten and he needs a rest.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
CMS missed three, one he really should have scored and Orlandi really should have buried his chance. I'm not someone who is out to get Barnes as some are so don't think I have an agenda. But you can't miss that many chances and still keep your shirt. CMS does score goals, something I think Barnes has forgotten and he needs a rest.

Amen to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports