Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Who can't spell granny?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In always referred to mine as G-Mama to give her more of an edgy, street feel. Grandad was Poppa Large, or simply Pop Lizzle.

As part of my job I have to refer to a clients grandmother as ' Mama ' and I really struggle with it. Fortunately she's lovely so not a great issue :)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Which way do you see as correct, Grandad or Granddad? I prefer the former but both are legitimate.

Well, my tongue in cheek post aside, I prefer the latter but can't claim any historic justification as I think it's the American spelling. I probably gravitated towards it as I am pretty contrary!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I call mine Mee-Maw

That's a Yank thing.

You call trousers 'pants' and loads of other oddities.

That said, I prefer 'Vacation' to 'Holiday'.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is it Prince William, whoever transcribed his speech, or the media, but someone can't spell granny. Grannie is the plural noun, not the singular and it looks bloody weird in William's statement. Somebody should have known. Somebody should have corrected it before it hit the media. Now it's forever enshrined in history.

Shirley if he called her Grannie, that was her name, to him.

Apparently he called her Gary before he could say Grannie

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I blame Graham Potter.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is it Prince William, whoever transcribed his speech, or the media, but someone can't spell granny. Grannie is the plural noun, not the singular and it looks bloody weird in William's statement. Somebody should have known. Somebody should have corrected it before it hit the media. Now it's forever enshrined in history.

Orf with their head!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I've very fond memories of trying to grab both versions down pool valley,at no point did I stop to think about nouns and plural implications of my actions.

I have shivver inducing memories remembering succeeding and not just trying.
Im glad i have ffinally managed to force myself into forgetting what the place was called.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here