Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Who can't spell granny?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Is it Prince William, whoever transcribed his speech, or the media, but someone can't spell granny. Grannie is the plural noun, not the singular and it looks bloody weird in William's statement. Somebody should have known. Somebody should have corrected it before it hit the media. Now it's forever enshrined in history.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well when I look it up on dictionary.com it suggests granny and grannie are interchangeable and that the plural noun is grannies.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I've very fond memories of trying to grab both versions down pool valley,at no point did I stop to think about nouns and plural implications of my actions.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well when I look it up on dictionary.com it suggests granny and grannie are interchangeable and that the plural noun is grannies.

To answer the original question, [MENTION=13265]Super Steve Earle[/MENTION]

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Gran, granny, grannie, nanny, Nana, grandma

All are perfectly valid.

Signed a grandma.

Agreed - although I do draw the line at Nana-Nana ( and Big Gran-Gran for Grandad ) that my neice uses for her Mum's parents !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agreed - although I do draw the line at Nana-Nana ( and Big Gran-Gran for Grandad ) that my neice uses for her Mum's parents !

My aunt lived on a farm near Henfield, so her grandchildren called her Granny Cow.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don’t personally like the word Granny sounds very old lady to me , Nan or Nana I loath sounds like coronation street . Grandma sounds a bit more classy & less old lady .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this what we've come to, only days after the death of Her Majesty?

The human capacity for trivial indulgence in the face of a momentous occasion is, frankly, alarming.

Lovely day, though. I may go for another nice cycle ride somewhere.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

To answer the original question, [MENTION=13265]Super Steve Earle[/MENTION]

Dictionary.com is basically American and based on an American Dictionary so I think they can be discounted thanks.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Don’t personally like the word Granny sounds very old lady to me , Nan or Nana I loath sounds like coronation street . Grandma sounds a bit more classy & less old lady .

In always referred to mine as G-Mama to give her more of an edgy, street feel. Grandad was Poppa Large, or simply Pop Lizzle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
My aunt lived on a farm near Henfield, so her grandchildren called her Granny Cow.

My Grandparents had a thing for collecting elephant ornaments. So mine was affectionally known as "Elephant Granny". Looking back, I'm not quite sure how she felt about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here