Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who are the true British geniuses? (and it's not 'genii' - I checked)

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
This list is a bit male heavy so add Ada Lovelace to the list. Perhaps the first programmer and to add another woman, Rosalind Franklin who did so much work on DNA but died before she was properly recognised.

If we're having Turing and Boole, I'd like to add Thomas Bayes, who did so much for statistics.

I'd also nominate a couple of oddballs. One was a local boy, Gideon Mantell, who was the father of paleontology and also William Smith who created the first geological map of the Britain. What these two had in common was that they were shunned by the scientific establishment at the time,

Talking of shunning, I'd finally nominate another local boy (sort of) ,Thomas Paine who managed to get up the noses of everyone but played a part in both the American War of Independence and the French Revolution.

If we had a league table, I'd still place Newton on top. He dominated science for more than 200 years

Florence Nightingale would have to be included - her influence on healthcare was immense (just look at the designs of hospitals in the 20th century) and a great statistician. For a women in that era to have changed so much is outstanding

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Next time any of you get on a jet airliner for your holibobs (and it will be comparatively soon) have a quick peek at those things hanging off the wings - they will be Sir Frank Whittle's work...

Yes the Me262 was a better aircraft back in 1944 but that is because Whittle had to work with Gloster who never designed a decent fighter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Florence Nightingale would have to be included - her influence on healthcare was immense (just look at the designs of hospitals in the 20th century) and a great statistician. For a women in that era to have changed so much is outstanding

Good point. Some of her notebooks have been published online and she was so far ahead of her time. I, mistakenly, thought her influence was on improving nursing practices but she was revolutionised the keeping of records and looking at statistical trends.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Bobby Moore for his leadership as well as his ability.
The Germans are better in this field though. 4 stars.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Richard Trevithick
Humphry Davy
Tim Berners-Lee

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’m not attempting to be controversial in any way but I don’t feel that any singer or film actor is a genius. Anyone can sing and anyone can act . Some are obviously better than others however none of them are geniuses or should be thought of in that way .

A genius is in my opinion someone that has invented or excelled in their field by such a long way or an important way that they have few competitors.

Just my views.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sir Christopher Wren deserves a mention.

How the **** you can build something like St Paul’s Cathedral without a computer is utterly beyond me.

In fact how you can build something like St Paul’s Cathedral with a computer is still utterly beyond me.

I think a trowel and a ladder would be required too :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has Potter been suggested yet?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chain, Fleming & Florey - their pioneering work produced the first pure compound antibiotic.

Countless millions of lives saved, average life expectancy extended, as a result.

[Awaiting @HWT to dismiss this as all in day’s work for scientists).

Lol!

My old boss worked for Chain for a bit. One quote: "I don't have time to read the (scientific) literature - I'm too busy writing it" :lolol:

OK, here are a few of mine (apologies if others have already mentioned some of them).

Sir James Whyte Black. Nobel prizewinner. He literally invented the first beta blocker (practolol, followed swiftly by the safer analogue, propranolol) and, for an encore, invented the first H1 antihistamine (cimetidine). I met him several times. One of his obituaries described him as 'peppery'. He left Scotland because he was never going to get promotion because he hated writing and publishing his research.

James Dyson (you don't have to like him). The vacuum man.

Eric Laithwaite. The linear induction motor and Maglev.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee. The internet

Denis Potter. Playwrite

Declan McManus. Songwriter

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Anyone who has rattled the teeth of the woman who sang "Anyone can fall in Love" to the EastEnders theme tune automatically denounces themselves as a genius. :facepalm:

They have survived the test of time though, been together for nigh on forty years, very unusual if not unique, in the celebrity world.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Lol!

My old boss worked for Chain for a bit. One quote: "I don't have time to read the (scientific) literature - I'm too busy writing it" :lolol:

OK, here are a few of mine (apologies if others have already mentioned some of them).

Sir James Whyte Black. Nobel prizewinner. He literally invented the first beta blocker (practolol, followed swiftly by the safer analogue, propranolol) and, for an encore, invented the first H1 antihistamine (cimetidine). I met him several times. One of his obituaries described him as 'peppery'. He left Scotland because he was never going to get promotion because he hated writing and publishing his research.

Was he literally "Just there for the LOLZ"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here