Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who are Brighton's biggest rivals?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If they're must not lose games, I guess there will be consequences if they do? What would that be?

The same as all must not lose games, joy or despair..that’s it

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
If they're must not lose games, I guess there will be consequences if they do? What would that be?

Months of trolling on Twitter, office pisstaking by the water cooler, wet kippers around the chops, a hearty rendition of ‘Graham Potter - he left cos he’s sh1t.’ Take your pick.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This. It is the truth. But just like the great Russian public that can't believe that they're not doing Ukraine a favour by clearing out the fascists, so it is that some can't accept the fact that for many, many years Palace was just another 3rd. Division South club of no more significance to us than Orient or Reading (Portsmouth of course were well out of our league in those days!)

It’s nearly 50 years since the Palace rivalry really took hold now. Most fans will struggle to remember these before times even if they were around then and who now can’t “accept the fact”?

And of course Palace are our rivals- I know NSC likes a contrarian but you might as well argue that we’re not blue and white or that Sussex isn’t by the Sea.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s nearly 50 years since the Palace rivalry really took hold now. Most fans will struggle to remember these before times even if they were around then and who now can’t “accept the fact”?

And of course Palace are our rivals- I know NSC likes a contrarian but you might as well argue that we’re not blue and white or that Sussex isn’t by the Sea.
I'm not arguing there isn't a rivalry. I'm just pointing out the fact that there hasn't always been a rivalry. I fully understand that many people will not have been around long enough to remember the time before the rivalry - but whether they can remember it or not, that time did exist.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not arguing there isn't a rivalry. I'm just pointing out the fact that there hasn't always been a rivalry. I fully understand that many people will not have been around long enough to remember the time before the rivalry - but whether they can remember it or not, that time did exist.

Of course although there’s a couple on this thread who can’t resist challenging it. .But you seemed perplexed that some weren’t aware it’s only recent ish history or couldn’t accept it. What did you mean by that ? It’s as much a part of our history as 1997 or 1983 or 1979 - right ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Of course although there’s a couple on this thread who can’t resist challenging it. .But you seemed perplexed that some weren’t aware it’s only recent ish history or couldn’t accept it. What did you mean by that ? It’s as much a part of our history as 1997 or 1983 or 1979 - right ?

I'm not perplexed! :shrug:

:)

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I first saw Palace first game of the 1975 season , they came down in there hundreds thinking they would run riot down here ,
Brighton fans from midday were chasing and fighting the palace fans as they came down to the clock tower, , loads of Brighton fans used to drink down West Street , especially the Bosun .
When I turned up at the ground the Palace fans were in the North Stand and there was fighting going on , and this happened all throughout the match .
And for me it has been the same ever since

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

OK I'll have a go. We got yellow in amongst the blue and white, and the vast majority of Sussex isn't by the sea. Crawley is over 20 miles in land.

However, Palace are 100% Brighton's rivals. Probably our only ones, which is what I put down on that stupid online survey

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
OK I'll have a go. We got yellow in amongst the blue and white, and the vast majority of Sussex isn't by the sea. Crawley is over 20 miles in land.

However, Palace are 100% Brighton's rivals. Probably our only ones, which is what I put down on that stupid online survey

Well played !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to drive from Eastbourne to King's college hospital today and guess where the satnav took me? Right past selhurst and Croydon. My partner sitting next to me said "blimey, this place is a right dump isn't it" which made me burst out laughing and explained to her that they are our main rivals. (We had driven past the Amex earlier of course!)
Ps...then we drove past a guy wearing a Palace shirt in middle of road and she comes out with " he doesn't look quite the ticket" which just finished me off!!(tears streaming with laughing)

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I feel a little sorry for Crawley, clearly ours closet rivals in Proximity but we just ignore them like they are non league

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I feel a little sorry for Crawley, clearly ours closet rivals in Proximity but we just ignore them like they are non league

Probably because they were non league until 2011, we have also only played them once in a competitive match.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We did but Orient were our biggest rivals at the time, imo you need to be playing a team regularly to consider them your main rivals :shrug:

We also had a brief flirtation with Cardiff, Reading and Saints as our biggest rivals imo
Nah... well wide of the mark.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018

In the context of Brighton and Hove maybe we should change the words to "unitary authority by the sea" in the interests of accuracy and not staking a claim to the entirety of East and West Sussex? :moo:

Also, I like that a survey with fan rivalry has "Who are you?" on the very first page.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We had a few lively games with Southend in that era. Particularly a first game of the season 2000/1, I seem to remember.

Not a rivalry but an annoyance.

I seem to recall one of my old school mates getting into a bit of a pickle up there???. I went there a couple of times (once when Nathan Jones played for them). Didn't they have some sort of ludicrous diddly apples and pair cockney wanker goal celebration music, or was that Orient?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here