Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] White poppy?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Pathetic and disrespectful.

Nothing but some politically correct bullshit that shows nothing but contempt for the purpose and meaning of wearing the poppy because the dicks think it’s ‘right on’ to slag off British Troops but try and justify it by trying to deflect any moral argument by inventing some lefty bullshit of sypmpathising with the enemy as well. Nothing but fvcking traitors with no morals or respect of British Soldiers past and present!

I absolutely love this frothing at the mouth rage, using words like “traitors”.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, we've all heard about the War Of The Roses and now we have The War Of The Poppies.
Ironic really. Personally, I don't mind if people want to wear a red poppy, a white poppy, both or nothing.Everyone of us is entitled to their own views and if they wish to mark Remembrance Day in their own way, that is fine by me.
Finally, I have learned from this thread that there is no future in the Diplomatic Service for Big G.
Good grief, if there is one member of NSC who would be capable of starting WW3, my money would be on him/her!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If and when our guys are saving your arse, would you like to be the one to tell them that they are no different to the evil, sadistic, murdering brutes on the other side? Think you might find yourself on your own.

I did not say that did I, I said that is how the media portray the 'other side'. I also said I have total respect for anyone that makes that sacrifice, it is a hugely honourable thing to do for anyone that is willing to do that as a job or a calling. To suggest that anyone that is a soldier who is not British is by definition evil and all our guys are good is ridiculous though.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Britain First has put me off the red poppy somewhat, but then I stopped wearing one around the time it seemed to become compulsory in the media anyway.

Britain first put you off the red poppy ? How exactly ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Red poppy all day long for me. If they need a white poppy day choose a different date and don't dishonour the brave souls who sacrificed their lives to keep you free
Exactly. The red poppy supports the work of the RBL, supporting veterans and the families of veterans and the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. This is a worthy cause, and these people are deserving of support, whether you agree with the decisions made by the politicians or not. A widow with two children whose husband was killed in Iraq or Afghanistan is still a bereaved family, suffering from the loss of a loved one, even if you don't think we should have sent troops to Iraq.
The white poppy people, though, by muscling in on poppy day, rather than saying support peace (which they could do on any day of the year and have a white poppy day) are saying don't support widows and children of British soldiers, don't support veterans, let's take some money away from the RBL appeal and direct it elsewhere. Because of that, I've got no time for them. If they had some sort of 'White poppy for world peace day' I, say, March or April (anywhere a long way away from November 11th.) I might even but one, but on poppy day - red poppy day - the day for the veterans and the fallen - the day for British war widows and orphans - remembrance day.....no chance!

el punal

Call me old school on this one but I've always been led to believe that the Poppy (RED!) was to signify remembrance of those who gave their lives serving their country both in war and peace. The contributions from the Poppy appeal were to help ex-servicemen in THEIR hour of need - and quite right too.

As with giving to any charitable cause I believe it is down to each individual's conscience. In my case I will always respect those who have given their lives to ensure the freedom of our country, when and wherever that may be.

For those of you who support the wearing of a white poppy, commendable as it may be, I do feel that another time of year would be more appropriate to fulfill your aims.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
So, not being a warmonger, you don't fancy talking about it first....

What harm do they do ? Except that which is imagined. Folk place their own interpretations on them. You have chosen to see a threat neither intended or present. Those who wear them feel for those who suffered as much as you.

The red poppy is a symbol of remembering, the white a hope for the end to wars. I have no problem with either. For me neither takes from the other.

To respect those who have fallen is to hope that such circumstances never arise again. But they will. There will always be warmongers among us.

How is this 'PC bollocks' ? How is the desire for lives to be spared in future 'PC bollocks' ? The countless young men and women who will be asked by governments of all nations to lay down their lives for dubious causes will never dwindle. We will always remember them, always. Loyal, faithful, revered. True heroes.

Many past conflicts have been just. WWII not least. But to me, questions need to be asked about how such outstanding young folk should protect us to the fullest of honour. Not for political follies and empirical ideology.

Red to remember, white to hope. I have no problem with that.

Good post, but if wearing a white poppy offends just one British veteran I won't be wearing one

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Most Germans who died in WW2 would have been young blokes fighting for the same reason our troops would have been. Roped in to it due to a mixture of patriotism and camaraderie. Whilst I will be buying a red poppy, not a white one I think it's important to remember that most of the soldiers who died fighting British troops weren't monsters plucked from the pages of comic books, they were young, naive and scared young men who just happened to be born in another country.

:shrug:

That exactly sums it up for me, it's too awful to imagine what it must have been like for them. Nothing more than kids a lot of them.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I am a veteran, so it's red all the way for me. When I was in Germany, many of the German civvy staff would attend our remembrance services.

They have there own day called Vlokstrauertag which remembers both those who died in the two world wars and all those who died as a result of oppresive governments in Germany including the Nazis.

Once you get beyond the politics, there is a shared experience on both sides that is to be respected. I have drunk far far too much on several occasions in the company of some of the old German veterans from WWII.

Oh yeah, and I can't say I am overkeen on the joint poppy/club badge affairs. I am sure they are worn with good intention, but I guess I am a purist.

Interesting post, many thanks

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I drove through Kingston village ( near Lewes ) this afternoon, I noticed some large poppys fixed to telegraph poles. The poppys looked similar to the type that some truckers fix to the front of their lorry.
I thought the poppys looked great as I drove through the village, but on my way home I noticed some of the poppys had been vandalised by white spray paint.

Unbelievable and disrespectful, I would like to know what type of low life did this.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I drove through Kingston village ( near Lewes ) this afternoon, I noticed some large poppys fixed to telegraph poles. The poppys looked similar to the type that some truckers fix to the front of their lorry.
I thought the poppys looked great as I drove through the village, but on my way home I noticed some of the poppys had been vandalised by white spray paint.

Unbelievable and disrespectful, I would like to know what type of low life did this.

Best guess ..someone on the far left /momentum - Corbyn supporter? Probably also anti-semitic/self-loathing/hates this country type.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

You don't really need to know what type of low-life it was. It was just low-life, end of. If it mattered what kind of scum it was, my money would be on a turd with a spray can............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here