"White Lives Matter Burnley" banner flown over the Etihad

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Actually it's depressing. I'd always assumed that racist were a small minority in this country. Not a bad thing that quite a few of these closet racists have outed themselves on social media though.

True. Around 30 years ago It really felt like things had started to get better. Back to square one now.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
[QUOTE=Bakero;9388243

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Nobody is suggesting that some people matter more than others. The point is black people have been and continue to be systematically discrimated against.

Maybe it's just my white middle class upbringing but I can't say I've seen much evidence of this, especially over the past 5-10 years. Indeed, in the media area that I'm particularly familiar with, it could be argued that some groups are now over represented. I'm not saying this is wrong but I'm not sure that we should be as self-critical as we are and so eager to suggest that our society is so intolerant and discriminatory. In my view, we remain one of the most tolerant, understanding and democratic countries in the world, which is why, of course, the UK tends to be top of the list for most economic migrants.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Maybe it's just my white middle class upbringing but I can't say I've seen much evidence of this, especially over the past 5-10 years. Indeed, in the media area that I'm particularly familiar with, it could be argued that some groups are now over represented. I'm not saying this is wrong but I'm not sure that we should be as self-critical as we are and so eager to suggest that our society is so intolerant and discriminatory. In my view, we remain one of the most tolerant, understanding and democratic countries in the world, which is why, of course, the UK tends to be top of the list for most economic migrants.

Quite probably, yes. I don't want to be patronising but perhaps you should listen to what black people have to say about it.

Out of interest, which media area are you referring to?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Lights fuse and steps back ........

4da2185bafdcb80f3d468adce604d183.jpg

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Quite probably, yes. I don't want to be patronising but perhaps you should listen to what black people have to say about it.

Out of interest, which media area are you referring to?
TV, advertising and most media related areas of employment.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There are of course already movements for anyone suffering from financial inequality, the largest of which is the Labour Party. And those 30 year old unemployed struggling people who didn't have a fair start includes many black people.

But most of all, anyone suffering inequality should laud BLM, instead of saying 'its not my inequality so I don't care'. Whether it's gender, sexuality, disability, age, nationality, educational background or race, all of these movements are valid and they support each other. A just society is the aim

I think the fact that there is so much pushback on the 'race' inequality issue, as opposed to disability or sex discrimination issues, shows exactly why their movement is needed.

This. Promoting squabbling and division among those who all ultimately want a fair society is how those who do the oppressing keep their power. If those who want to end racism spend their time fighting those who want to end sexism then they're not fighting them. It's all very People's Front of Judea.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Meaning what? All I'm saying is that equality of opportunity should apply to everyone and that it is wrong to suggest that any one group of people are more important than, or should be advantaged over, another. That seems to me to be what we should be aiming to achieve as a working principle. Anything else just promotes inequality and is divisive.

Thomas Sowell the American economist and historian said some years ago: "If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical fifty years ago, a liberal twenty-five years ago and a racist today".

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I feel genuinely sorry for decent Burnley fans (and there are many) that their club has been dragged down by a (substantial) minority of racist bigots. The perpetrator of this classless act will have achieved his/her objective - it's a rallying cry to likeminded neanderthals up and down the country, causing outrage and attempting to further divide an already fractured nation......

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Thomas Sowell the American economist and historian said some years ago: "If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical fifty years ago, a liberal twenty-five years ago and a racist today".

This is nonsense. If everyone was judged by the same standards and by the same rules you might have a point. The fact they are not is the reason that movements like blm have grown. Apnd lets stop cofusing the general movement that is black lives matter with the small organisation that calls itself BLM.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
TV, advertising and most media related areas of employment.

Really? You sure about that?

BBC Chairman - white
Director General - white
Head of BBC News - white
Head of BBC content - white
Head of BBC sport - white
Head of children's content - white
ITV chairman - white
ITV CEO - white
ITV director of studios - white
ITV head of news - white
ITV director of TV - white
Channel 4 chairman - white
Channel 4 CEO - white

Number of BAME national newspaper editors - two (the FT and Morning Star)

Number of CEOs/MDs of ad agencies 2.9%

The newspaper representation is pretty good but the rest of it does not present a pretty picture but it's par for the course: there are pitifully few BAME members on FTSE 250 boards

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He's a black American who thinks that Trump is a better president than Obama, which is interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports