Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Whiskey that smells and tastes of TCP - WTF is it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not Laphroaig. I have some and I like it, but it isn't TCPee enough.

I visited a distillery up from Inverness 20 years ago and bought some of this nectar but can't remember what it was.

Help gratefully appreciated.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Up from Inverness is Glenmorangie is it not? And not one I’d describe as TCP. Others from Islay that have that similar flavour characteristic to Laphroig include Lagavulin, Port Ellen, Caol Isla, Ardbeg and possibly Bunnahabhain.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Could be Clynleish, that’s quite an interesting flavour, Brora also from the same town, or perhaps from right up top Highland Park.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Could be Clynleish, that’s quite an interesting flavour, Brora also from the same town, or perhaps from right up top Highland Park.
Orkneys for Highland Park. On holiday up here now and put this on ice Wednesday gone and it also has nearly gone.

Attachments

• 20221129_152005.jpg
    20221129_152005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
With all these helpful suggestions the OP will

1. Stop caring if the whisky is the one he was thinking of, and then
2. Won’t remember why he was drinking them at all.

So, should he return to this thread tomorrow in a “what did I do/retracing my steps” spirit of enquiry, your wife (probably) hasn’t left you, and as far as we know, nobody died.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Up from Inverness is Glenmorangie is it not? And not one I’d describe as TCP. Others from Islay that have that similar flavour characteristic to Laphroig include Lagavulin, Port Ellen, Caol Isla, Ardbeg and possibly Bunnahabhain.
Yep, that's just about nailed it (although I've not come across Port Ellen myself), but all the rest, fine.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A lot of the peaty malts have a slightly antiseptic taste to me. I don't think its true for everybody. I stick to the Speyside ones that tend to have less peat.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
The TCP is the phenol’s, So any whisky that dry’s its barley using peat smoke has the TCP / medicinal flavour, I don’t really like smokey whisky but if you do then there is a new distillery on Skye called Torabhaig which has >75pppm of phenols which is well above the Islay monsters

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
There is about 8 distilleries just north of Inverness - Dalmore, Glenmorangie, Clynleish, Brora, Balbair, Glen Ord, Pulteney (well north of Inverness) i can’t remember the other one

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Invergordon . . . . Single grain . . .nothing like TCP and one of few sweaty waters I'll drink.

It's easier to find unicorn piss though as they stopped making it 17 or so years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here