Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which was the bigger win? Forest away 79 or Liverpool away 21?

Which was the bigger win? Forest away 79 or Liverpool away 21?

• Forest 79

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Liverpool 21

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • They were both great

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Forest, they were unbeaten for about 57 games at home, Liverpool lost to Burnley the previous week. Forest win

Edit - I see [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] beat me to it

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I was at the Forest match, in the Forest end with a couple of Forest-supporting mates. Obviously couldn't cheer the goal, not in those days, and only a silent celebration at the end. It was nothing like the Liverpool win. Lawro was back from injury and playing in midfield. We were battered for 90 minutes except for the breakaway Ryan goal. In my mind it was a greater upset and a better result than Wednesday's. I can still picture Lawro at the final whistle, bending over with his hands on his knees trying to get the energy to stand up, celebrate and walk off the pitch., which was a mudbath.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Forest by a distance. Catalyst for our survival which had looked unlikely before that point plus I was there...

Liverpool, hard to know what it means at this point? Could be a good win against a big Six club who finished er 6th that season while we struggled to avoid relegation or it could be part of an amazing run on victories and good results which saw us shoot up the table before finishing 10th. This set the scene for Europa League qualification in 21/22 etc etc.

In the same way as the Potter out mob overstated our failings a short run of wins is being overblown at this point. It's too soon to tell, win 3 of our next 4 and maybe we can start talking turning points....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
All I can say the game against Liverpool was more relaxed to watch. Forest, their electronic clock started adding time or so it appeared. The longest 90 minutes ever, FACT.

Fortunate to have been at Liverpool 82 and 83, the Forest double oh and Chester away haha

Lost count how many times I kept looking over my shoulder at that clock!

In addition, Forest were the reigning champions of Europe, Robertson missed a pen (I think) and before that game I think every Brighton fan knew we were destined for the drop whereas before the Liverpool game most probably thought we had a good chance of staying up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lost count how many times I kept looking over my shoulder at that clock!

In addition, Forest were the reigning champions of Europe, Robertson missed a pen (I think) and before that game I think every Brighton fan knew we were destined for the drop whereas before the Liverpool game most probably thought we had a good chance of staying up.

The slow motion penalty that hardly reached the goal.:)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The 5-1 against Hartlepool was a bigger result , it was 5-0 :smile:

It's funny, I always remember my first game, 22 March 1969, as Brighton 4 Barrow 2. But it was actually 4-1. Inferiority complex, probably :wink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's funny, I always remember my first game, 22 March 1969, as Brighton 4 Barrow 2. But it was actually 4-1. Inferiority complex, probably :wink:

My first home match. Well, my first home match after being born. Well, I wasn't there obviously.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No doubt the Forest game for me, a far bigger mismatch.

If memory serves me correct we may have been in the bottom 3 or even bottom.

When I saw the Liverpool team, I fancied us to do well (but you still have to do it).

The Forest game, was a stroke of genius by Mullery, as he pushed Lawro into midfield, I think Suddaby came in for his debut. Massive result which turned the season for us.

The Liverpool game, Potter basically outcoached Klopp, and Liverpool looked poor (because we made them).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No doubt the Forest game for me, a far bigger mismatch.

If memory serves me correct we may have been in the bottom 3 or even bottom.

When I saw the Liverpool team, I fancied us to do well (but you still have to do it).

The Forest game, was a stroke of genius by Mullery, as he pushed Lawro into midfield, I think Suddaby came in for his debut. Massive result which turned the season for us.

The Liverpool game, Potter basically outcoached Klopp, and Liverpool looked poor (because we made them).

Asked my Dad this question tonight as he was at the Forest game, he said the same. Partly because the Forest team was stronger, relatively, due to Liverpool’s injuries.

He said exactly the same about Lawro and Suddaby funnily enough.

Also said that beating a team with Shilton and Trevor Francis in was special as they were a big deal at the time (and he never liked Shilton anyway). And that Robertson was trying to win penalties so that was sweet.

One of his memories was also leaving the ground and the Forest fans moaning about the way we played.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Didn't Gary Williams score an absolute screamer to beat Forest again at City Ground the following season?

No, same season at The Goldstone.

First team to do the double over Forest in the Clough era in the top division.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Asked my Dad this question tonight as he was at the Forest game, he said the same. Partly because the Forest team was stronger, relatively, due to Liverpool’s injuries.

He said exactly the same about Lawro and Suddaby funnily enough.

Also said that beating a team with Shilton and Trevor Francis in was special as they were a big deal at the time (and he never liked Shilton anyway). And that Robertson was trying to win penalties so that was sweet.

One of his memories was also leaving the ground and the Forest fans moaning about the way we played.

Your Dad knows his stuff [emoji2].

Seriously, it was a magnificent effort. Forest were a great team then, Moseley saved a Robertson penalty which is often forgotten.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Probably Forest. But it’s splitting hairs. One of the finest wins in our history - and certainly one of the best weeks, especially as it feels like there’s so much potential to become even better.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Has to be Forest reigning Champions of Europe and England unbeaten at home for the past hundred years and we were woeful and destined for the drop up to that game.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
For me it has to be forest away. This is only because I was there to witness it. Liverpool win was good mind you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Forest was the more important win as it gave us belief and started the climb off the bottom of the table.
Also more enjoyable as actually at the game rather than celebrating in front of a tv.

Tillo

Sep 1, 2007
NSW
I think the Forest game, which I was fortunate to be at, because they were so strong at home and European champions and unbeaten at home for ages and we were taking our first nervous steps in Division one and had mostly had thrashings against the well known teams at the time and the week before the game had lost 4-0 to Arsenal and 4-1 to Liverpool so nobody expected anything but another hammering

It’s worth digging out a video to see how awful the pitch was which ultimately worked in our favour

My recollection was they were all over us but created few real chances and John Robertson missed a penalty which he rarely did, Garry Birtles shot past Moseley and turned away to celebrate the goal but it stuck in the mud and was cleared and the 1500 odd away fans pissed them selves laughing! And with one of our few attacks we scored,

This was the catalyst for a purple patch of results which saw us believe we deserved our place at the top table

So although the Liverpool result and performance was brilliant and one for the ages, they have lost some of their dominance against the bottom 6 this year and I thought a point might be possible but no one thought we would get something from the City Ground

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the Forest game, which I was fortunate to be at, because they were so strong at home and European champions and unbeaten at home for ages and we were taking our first nervous steps in Division one and had mostly had thrashings against the well known teams at the time and the week before the game had lost 4-0 to Arsenal and 4-1 to Liverpool so nobody expected anything but another hammering

It’s worth digging out a video to see how awful the pitch was which ultimately worked in our favour

My recollection was they were all over us but created few real chances and John Robertson missed a penalty which he rarely did, Garry Birtles shot past Moseley and turned away to celebrate the goal but it stuck in the mud and was cleared and the 1500 odd away fans pissed them selves laughing! And with one of our few attacks we scored,

This was the catalyst for a purple patch of results which saw us believe we deserved our place at the top table

So although the Liverpool result and performance was brilliant and one for the ages, they have lost some of their dominance against the bottom 6 this year and I thought a point might be possible but no one thought we would get something from the City Ground

None of us were expecting anything, even more so when we found out some aging free transfer from 3rd Div Blackpool was making his debut!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here