Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Which Supermarket?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
If there is one thing that winds me up, even before Coronavirus, its is couples having to do the shop jointly and having to inspect and debate at length each individual item before committing it to their basket. I dream of having a "Ben Hur" adapted trolley with scythes on the wheels to deal with them :)

Horrible people those couples that enjoy getting out the house and doing things with each other. Even before this virus was around, I know of some couples that would stop to have a coffee or even a light lunch and THEN shop together. B@st@rds!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Horrible people those couples that enjoy getting out the house and doing things with each other. Even before this virus was around, I know of some couples that would stop to have a coffee or even a light lunch and THEN shop together. B@st@rds!

I think you've somewhat missed his point !

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Tesco, good, occasionally busy later.
Sainsbury's, moderate to good, rough in toilet roll aisle.
Asda, slight to moderate, heavy crowds by evening.
Marks & Spencer and Co-Op, fair.
Waitrose, fair to moderate, spillage in aisle 7.
Lidl, rough at first, easing later.

And that's the end of the shopping forecast.

(shamlessly stolen from social media)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If there is one thing that winds me up, even before Coronavirus, its is couples having to do the shop jointly and having to inspect and debate at length each individual item before committing it to their basket. I dream of having a "Ben Hur" adapted trolley with scythes on the wheels to deal with them :)

Errrrr, sort of guilty. Went to Sainsbury’s West Hove yesterday early doors and had small queue but only 10 minutes - about two hours shorter than would have been the case the previous day when I aborted the mission.
Would normally go with the wife but she is self isolating in case her cough was CV related. So, instead of negotiating with her over what alternatives to buy I clogged up the isles by having to phone her and check. :facepalm: heaven forbid me going home with the wrong stuff!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
This has worked for us, the last two shops. Well managed, people observing the 2m rule and just a few minutes stood outside.

But because the 7am locusts are still nabbing many cheap lines, our bill today was huge, eg with little option but to buy ‘premium’ brand eggs, basmati rice.

About 4pm is a good time... Afternoon delivery just been put out and pre everyone-finishing-work rush.

But yes, agree. Cost of out shop gone up because it's harder and irresponsible to shop around for the best deal on stuff and the offers clear out first so left paying full price for everything if you can't get the timing right.

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Like my brother in law, such a tight ****** he won’t let his wife shop on her own in case she overspends. Every purchase is audited by him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
About 4pm is a good time... Afternoon delivery just been put out and pre everyone-finishing-work rush.

But yes, agree. Cost of out shop gone up because it's harder and irresponsible to shop around for the best deal on stuff and the offers clear out first so left paying full price for everything if you can't get the timing right.

Thanks, I didn't know about that.

Our bill yesterday £160!! Used to paying £100 top's.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Of the three ive visited recently ..judging on ‘virus’ measures

MS ....Organised queueing with staff at the door ...hand sanitiser, the type that drys in your hand ..wipe down of trolley
TESCOS..Organised queueing with staff at the door ..hand sanitiser, but dont squirt too much as its not the same as MS..wipe down trolley
LIDL ....Hmm..no one at the door...no hand sanitiser ..hence no wipe down of trolley

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Reporting back.

Went to Asda Hollingbury about 2 hrs ago. Queue of 6 people, 2 mins to get in.

There seemed to be most things on the shelves including Pasta, Toilet Rolls, Flour and Tinned Tomatoes. However no skimmed milk, small white sliced loaves (doing my Mum's shopping as well) or part-baked bread. Also their fresh loaves didn't look great.

So popped into Co-op Patcham ( a local shop for local people !) on way back and got skimmed milk, small white sliced and a lovely crusty cob !

Reckon I had a bit of a result, off to deliver to my Mum now :thumbsup:

*edit* and, of course, It's Sainsburys, Benfield Valley, not Goldstone Valley as previously stated :wink:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Of the three ive visited recently ..judging on ‘virus’ measures

MS ....Organised queueing with staff at the door ...hand sanitiser, the type that drys in your hand ..wipe down of trolley
TESCOS..Organised queueing with staff at the door ..hand sanitiser, but dont squirt too much as its not the same as MS..wipe down trolley
LIDL ....Hmm..no one at the door...no hand sanitiser ..hence no wipe down of trolley

:rotlf:
Wouldn't it be easier to wheel you all through Sheep-Dip?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Hailsham Tesco - 10 minute queue to get in. Only thing really stripped was flour. Had toilet roll, hand wash, less popular dried pasta and all types of bread, meat and veg. Seems to have been a run on rum and a couple of other spirits.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Rarely use Tesco but it's our nearest store so seemed right to use it. Arrived, and wow, what a great system, I was concerned having never shopped since the whole crisis started, we resisted the bulk buy at the beginning so had no choice but to go. Great spacing, well organised, and very attentive but socially distanced staff, well done Tesco.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Rarely use Tesco but it's our nearest store so seemed right to use it. Arrived, and wow, what a great system, I was concerned having never shopped since the whole crisis started, we resisted the bulk buy at the beginning so had no choice but to go. Great spacing, well organised, and very attentive but socially distanced staff, well done Tesco.

Mrs GNT was very impressed with the Tesco at Worthing (West Durrington). Well stocked, orderly and efficient.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs GNT was very impressed with the Tesco at Worthing (West Durrington). Well stocked, orderly and efficient.

Last week there was talk of customers ripping the goods out of roll cages before the staff could even get them to the shelves, staff being verbally abused and threatened and at least once the store had to be temporarily closed due to a fight between customers....

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

I did wonder why it was a strange combo that had been stripped. Own up. Who started the rumour that rum cake cures the virus? My guess is a nautical gentleman.

I do hope supermarkets take the hint on what is left. The only flour left was brown heavy. The only dried pasta was Action Man bow ties. Maybe if panic buyers are leaving it, you should consider your buying position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here