Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Sat-Nav?

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Thinking of buying a sat-nav,dont have a clue about them,as i have never had one,looking for something,simple easy to use,i dont need europe or roi maps, but if only an extra £20 or something then maybe,price not really a problem,up to £300 if needed,any suggestions,info,tips will be greatfuly recieved,cheers.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I can fully recommend the TomTom Go system I use, it has been spot on for the last three years. It has traffic updates and speed camera warnings and a cute voice (which you obviously have to choose).

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I can fully recommend the TomTom Go system I use, it has been spot on for the last three years. It has traffic updates and speed camera warnings and a cute voice (which you obviously have to choose).

How strange. I've got a Tom Tom and it's utter shit. The screen's gone now, so we can't see jack, but when it was working it kept getting directions completely wrong, thinking we were in fields when we were on the M1, sending us on wild goose chases when shorter, quicker routes were available. Was going to post a similar thread, to see if anyone could recommend a satnav other than Tom Tom.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Definately go for Tom Tom. We use sat navs at work a lot. Some of the guys have Garmin. They are rubbish.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Tom Tom for sure.

Don't want to sound patronising but make sure you suss out how it works, by this i mean when taking diversions etc. So many people I know get frustated when they take an alternative route cos of traffic, accidents etc then keep getting told to do a U turn or go back to original route. Obviously the Tom Tom thinks you've made a wrong move so will keep telling you so. This seems blindingly obvious to me but not for others it seems!

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
The Nokia 5230 also has google maps and navigation built in for free. And if you are with Three you get unlimited internet free.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I bought one a couple of years ago that was on offer at Halfords, an N10 by LG, and didnt think I needed Europe but was told a download would be available within 6 months. Down load not available and LG say they no longer do or have anything to do with sat navs. Good news is I found, on the internet, a company based in Sevenoaks, Directions Ltd who have told me if I send the sat nav to them they will download Western Europe inc UK and ROI for £69.99 + £3.50p p, which I think is reasonable. If anybody has had any dealings with this company I would be grateful of any views.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
How strange. I've got a Tom Tom and it's utter shit. The screen's gone now, so we can't see jack, but when it was working it kept getting directions completely wrong, thinking we were in fields when we were on the M1, sending us on wild goose chases when shorter, quicker routes were available. Was going to post a similar thread, to see if anyone could recommend a satnav other than Tom Tom.

My Tomtom died a few weeks ago after 4 years. I agree that sometimes the directions are a bit shite as it doesn't seem to take into account traffic lights, junctions or that main roads will always be busier. You just need to get used to using the alternative route or shorest route settingsat the right time, so it generally helps if you've got an idea of where you're going.

I'm hoping they've sorted out alot of that on the newer models as I'll probably get another one. I'm just deciding on whether to get a bog standard one or the model with live data. As I've got inclusive data on the phone now I'm thinking the latter.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Chuffed with my Garmin.

I use my Nokia 5800 with an external bluetooth gps receiver when I'm out and about. The internal gps receiver is absolute rubbish on my phone and as I don't have unlimited data it makes sense to use the receiver.
Used a Tom-Tom out in America a few years ago and it was very good I have to say.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
First bought a Navman when they came out - good but they stopped map updates so switched to Tom Tom - mostly okay but I realy don't like the voice instruction that always gives the next TWO moves together - please, lets do one then worry about the next one 30 seconds later - not so good.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
in england just by map.......why get a sat nav - everywhere is easily signposted, the mway network is simple, and u can use streetmap from the net.

300 quid spend on something useful or buy someone a gift.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here