Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Which Premier League Teams Will Benefit From The World Cup Break?

el punal

Six weeks of no competitive football will surely affect, good or bad, all the PL teams. I would imagine those clubs that are providing the highest number of their players for the competition will suffer the most - particularly if those players are involved in the latter stages.

It could also mean that teams that are on a successful roll, Newcastle and Arsenal for instance, will be cursing. On the other side of the coin those struggling outfits with new managers, Wolves and Southampton, it will be an opportunity to implement new strategies without the hindrance of having to play under such extreme pressure to get results immediately.

So what about us, our beloved Albion? Firstly, it will give Roberto the time to improve his English! Maybe the break will also be a good time to improve and hone our style of crisp, pacey attacking play? Time will tell and all that - at least I’ll be saving on train fares and buying rounds! :drink:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I think the biggest concerns are injuries from the World cup.

Potentially a big disadvantage for us with most of our key players in action.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Biggest winners will be Southampton & Villa. Relatively few WC players and a chance to reset with a new manager in place.

Arsenal the biggest losers IMO, in terms of momentum and because loads of players at the WC, so injury risks there.
Palace have just 2 players (Ayew and Andersen) going to the World cup.
I think that gives them a distinct advantage.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Although I suppose you could argue that those not playing in Qatar might be a bit rusty when the season restarts, at least for a game or two.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Chelsea. Given their efforts since mid-September, they would've acquired the few remaining BHAFC employees in that time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Palace have just 2 players (Ayew and Andersen) going to the World cup.
I think that gives them a distinct advantage.
Ayew on a different continent gives them a massive advantage.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Chelsea. Given their efforts since mid-September, they would've acquired the few remaining BHAFC employees in that time.

I think it'll do them all good sadly. We weren't that great under Potter, pretty much matched CH results but played nicer-looking football, it wasn't until the forced break after the US Wuhan lab leak that things started to click and I think it'll give him some time to figure out a few things there, sadly.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Wolves, Southampton and Villa should see a massive benefit. They're all a bit shit but have got new managers and not many players going so they'll get a nice long amount of time to get their ideas across.

Even though we've got 8 players going I reckon we'll do relatively alright out of it. I can't see Ecuador, Ghana or Japan going too deep into the tournament. The group stages are done by dec 3rd so there's a good chance we can give Caicedo, Estupinan, Sarmiento, Mitoma and Lamptey a week off and still have them for two weeks before our next league game. That's a decent chunk of time to work solely on what De Zerbi wants.

Theo only players who could go deep in the tournament are Ally Mac, Sanchez and Trossard. I don't think Tross or Ally Mac will be starters but will get some minutes so they won't be knackered from the world cup but they'll also be able to maintain match fitness while Sanchez might not see any action at all.

I think it'll hit Arsenal and Chelsea the worst and possibly Man City. Arsenal because they're flying at the moment and this could stop their momentum. Plus they have a lot of players going so with a small squad they could risk injury/burnout.

Man City because they seem to have everyone bar Haaland going so there's the same injury/burnout risk that Arsenal have.

Chelsea because they desperately need the time on the training pitch but have got a dozen players heading off to the world cup so most of the important players aren't going to be around to benefit.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I suspect that some players will come back with a World Cup hangover. While others will come back with a World Cup spring in their step. Some clubs will have a great six weeks training etc and some will not.

Either way come middle of January I suspect every single team will have a view that either “the World Cup killed us” or “the World Cup timing was great” - post hoc rationalisation will be off the charts.

For what it is worth. I reckon we could do alright out of it with most of them having a nice time but not getting too far.

Obviously Spain, Belgium and Argentina could go quite deep but Sanchez won’t play so hopefully no problem. Alexis could have a belting World Cup but he has just signed a contract. My big worry is Trossard. We all know he loves the sun on his back and could be a shock star for Belgium if he rightfully starts over Hazard and with 18 months left on contract he might come back a different man. Hopefully wrong.

If an England player breaks one of our Ecuadoreans I will be fuming.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Biggest winners will be Southampton & Villa. Relatively few WC players and a chance to reset with a new manager in place.

Arsenal the biggest losers IMO, in terms of momentum and because loads of players at the WC, so injury risks there.

Add Newcastle to biggest losers, they are breaking at the wrong time as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here