Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which paper has the best sports coverage?

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
I like The Times but think maybe there is too much of it, Guardian is good & more concise but never buy it as it's all on their website.

What paper do you buy for sport? Thinking of trying The Indepedent, any good?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Times is best IMO. Indie and Guardian only realy pay lip service to it and won't go beyond the top divisions
Yup.

The nice thing about The Times is their Monday soccerball pull out, leaving the rest of the sport to get the coverage it deserves in the back pages.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I like The Times but think maybe there is too much of it, Guardian is good & more concise but never buy it as it's all on their website.

What paper do you buy for sport? Thinking of trying The Indepedent, any good?

I disagree about the Times...With them it's as if there is no other football in the universe beyond the Premiershit. Independent the same, I reckon.

I like these papers in every other respect but for footy it's The Mirror for me.

It helps to have Albion supporters, like Not Andy Naylor and Paul Hayward, writing for them. They understand the game from the perspective of fans who have suffered.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I disagree about the Times...With them it's as if there is no other football in the universe beyond the Premiershit. Independent the same, I reckon.

I like these papers in every other respect but for footy it's The Mirror for me.

Really? I always found the Times quite good for lower league football. Sun and Mirror are good in some ways but you don't get much in ways of insight and away from football they are both pretty bad.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Mixed bag for me.

For Brighton obviously The Argus. Only really buy newspapers on Sunday; The Observer and Sunday Independent can focus well on domestic leagues outside of the Premiershite. Equally, the Football League delivers insightful reports.

The Times can be good on Monday.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Yup.

The nice thing about The Times is their Monday soccerball pull out, leaving the rest of the sport to get the coverage it deserves in the back pages.

this

plenty on cricket, formula one, rugby, horse racing and even sports like hockey. throw in matt syed, mike atherton and patrick barclay and you have some of the best writers around. and they virtually always hit the nail on the head, unlike the sensationalised bollocks you get in the sun

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Agreed. Best reason there is to buy the Guardian & Observer.

Is he new I have never heard of Paul Hawyard? ....

Paul Hayward yes indeed.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Indeed - Paul Hawyard imo is the best sports writer around.

And a thoroughly nice bloke to boot - he can be found in the Robin Hood from time to time as his brother Neil is involved in running it.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008

Seriously?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here