Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is the best Wetherspoons in Brighton and Hove?

Which is the best spoons???

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is myth spread about that Wetherspoons sell out of date beer or short life beer but thats what it is a myth created by other publicans to try to put them down. I was in Tim's office one day when a schweppes rep came in and Tims exact words " I will give you 3p a bottle for fruit juice and have a pallet of each flavour delivered to every pub, if your interested come in and shut the door if not shut the door on your way out" They finally did a deal on 39p a dozen which was about 1/3rd of what most pubs were paying. That is how they started buy in bulk cheap, sell it cheap and move the stock on and generate the turnover.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is myth spread about that Wetherspoons sell out of date beer or short life beer but thats what it is a myth created by other publicans to try to put them down. I was in Tim's office one day when a schweppes rep came in and Tims exact words " I will give you 3p a bottle for fruit juice and have a pallet of each flavour delivered to every pub, if your interested come in and shut the door if not shut the door on your way out" They finally did a deal on 39p a dozen which was about 1/3rd of what most pubs were paying. That is how they started buy in bulk cheap, sell it cheap and move the stock on and generate the turnover.

Which is a good business model as followed by others in the same mode - Easyjet, Ryanair, Poundland etc

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wetherspoons. If you are a broke alcoholic who likes to commence the day's drinking at 10am or a gangly youth with equally retarded friends who like to drink swill and gobble cold plates of cheap curry while ogling women that look like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag, then one could do a lot worse. However, if you like a pub with soul, banter, friendliness, good music, excellent choice of ales and spirits and don't mind paying slightly more for such finery avoid Wetherspoons. Wetherspoons is the kind of place Hitler would have made Polish Jews drink if he had won the war.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wetherspoons. If you are a broke alcoholic who likes to commence the day's drinking at 10am or a gangly youth with equally retarded friends who like to drink swill and gobble cold plates of cheap curry while ogling women that look like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag, then one could do a lot worse. However, if you like a pub with soul, banter, friendliness, good music, excellent choice of ales and spirits and don't mind paying slightly more for such finery avoid Wetherspoons. Wetherspoons is the kind of place Hitler would have made Polish Jews drink if he had won the war.

Alternatively if you are a failed actress you castigate everything

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nibble you forgot shoppers who want a value for money breakfast as they certainly are that and available until 12.00 noon everyday. If we are near one I often have a brekkie and wife has a coffee, cant afford 2 breakfasts:lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Alternatively if you are a failed actress you castigate everything

I'll give you that being an actor does afford me certain choices as to where I drink/dine because of the inherant financial rewards that come with the job . I'm sorry you and your family are poor and I know it must be hard knowing your wife and kids probably would like to be taken to nicer places but I say you keep going son, they can't knock you for trying. They can resent you, but they can't say you're not trying. Let me know if you are really struggling, I'm on set tomorrow and i'll ask the caterers if they can do me a doggy bag at the end of the day. Wednesdays is usually a choice of kedgeree, some kind of curry (wouldn't recommend) and a vegan option. Don't worry son, tell the kids no more Wetherspoons, Nibble's seen 'em right.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibble you forgot shoppers who want a value for money breakfast as they certainly are that and available until 12.00 noon everyday. If we are near one I often have a brekkie and wife has a coffee, cant afford 2 breakfasts:lolol:

I have to say, living near the Marina I will pop to the West Quay if I fancy a pint but rarely and I avoid town based ones like the plague. They genuinely depress me.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
You want to try the one in Balham. I saw an old couple there drinking a pint of bitter and a bottle of wine. Each! I'm not kidding. The guy got up to go to the toilet at one point and when he came back he had pissed himself.

The obvious answer is you get some good ones and some bad ones. One thing that is a myth is that their beer is rubbish. Always been good. However places like Balham and West Street are horrible. I feel sorry for [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] most. His beloved Cliftonville is getting a kicking!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Of maybe succeeding because a lot of people have no imagination?

au contraire mon ami i would say the blander the pub the more imagination you need. its easier to sit in the basketmakers (for example) with no imagination because your stimuli and your sense of place and experience are all very much deliberately provided for you. in wetherspoons its just the drink and the company. and perhaps sky sports news.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Of maybe succeeding because a lot of people have no imagination?
Or maybe succeeding because they're providing what people want?

(I'm talking about ordinary people, not manbag-wearing, craft beer and micropub loving connoisseurs of fine living such as your good self)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

(I'm talking about ordinary people, not manbag-wearing, craft beer and micropub loving connoisseurs of fine living such as your good self)

also a lot of wetherspoons are just existing pubs. most of the other big chains have flogged off pubs to cash in on their assets. wetherspoons have opened pubs, or kept them alive. they may not be groovy and it may be sometimes a bit grim, but thats not an exclusive trait to wetherspoons.

be funny as f*** if the greys becomes a wetherspoons. people will blow a gasket on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'm not disputing they give people what they want; there is clearly a market for getting obliterated on cheap booze. But why not have a change of scenery? Go somewhere different, don't 'spoons customers get bored of their surroundings? And it isn't a class or money related 'fine living' thing, there are plenty of other pubs offering cheap ale, although I concede probably not as cheap as the 'spoons. Maybe drink one pint somewhere nice instead of two somewhere shit?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
also a lot of wetherspoons are just existing pubs

Is this the case in Brighton and Hove? The one on George Street was not a pub prior to it becoming a 'spoon was it? And I thought the ones in town were banks or similar.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
People seem to attach a lot of things to their choice of pub. I assume this is why folks are getting quite upset about the critisism Wetherspoons is getting. It's as if by critisising their choice of pubs is a personal attack. I personally don't mind if someone were to critisise the pubs I like. If someone doesn't like The Battle of Trafalgar for example, I can't see myself getting upset. I suppose it touches on people's choice of company, surroundings, and perhaps a place they may have enjoyed good times with friends and family. I happen to think Wetherspoon's are generally places I don't like spending time in. Ultimately it's just a pub, why people stating that they don't like it produces such dismay, or critisism of an assumed career is quite beyond me.

Yes, Wetherspoons provides what people want. What SOME people want. I don't happen to be one of those people and I'm certain my choice of alternative pub on my infrequent visits to pubs will not worry them or their bank balance one jot.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not disputing they give people what they want; there is clearly a market for getting obliterated on cheap booze. But why not have a change of scenery? Go somewhere different, don't 'spoons customers get bored of their surroundings? And it isn't a class or money related 'fine living' thing, there are plenty of other pubs offering cheap ale, although I concede probably not as cheap as the 'spoons. Maybe drink one pint somewhere nice instead of two somewhere shit?
Food. As I mentioned earlier the food is cheap and unpretentious and it's great for families. And at the Marina one sitting in the 'big' window looking over the harbour it is 'better than San Fransisco' as my American nephew said in the summer. (And yes, I'm sure he was just being polite!)

It's not all about getting pissed as cheaply as possible.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Is this the case in Brighton and Hove? The one on George Street was not a pub prior to it becoming a 'spoon was it? And I thought the ones in town were banks or similar.

Hove one was a Tescos.
North Street one was a bank once (and a couple of other pubs in between).
West Street one was an Amercan style pub/restaurant like TGI fridays or Hooters w/o the T&A.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People seem to attach a lot of things to their choice of pub. I assume this is why folks are getting quite upset about the critisism Wetherspoons is getting. It's as if by critisising their choice of pubs is a personal attack. I personally don't mind if someone were to critisise the pubs I like. If someone doesn't like The Battle of Trafalgar for example, I can't see myself getting upset. I suppose it touches on people's choice of company, surroundings, and perhaps a place they may have enjoyed good times with friends and family. I happen to think Wetherspoon's are generally places I don't like spending time in. Ultimately it's just a pub, why people stating that they don't like it produces such dismay, or critisism of an assumed career is quite beyond me.

Yes, Wetherspoons provides what people want. What SOME people want. I don't happen to be one of those people and I'm certain my choice of alternative pub on my infrequent visits to pubs will not worry them or their bank balance one jot.
I don't think people are getting 'upset', it's only a chain pub after all. We're just pointing out that 'spoons fulfill a purpose, or rather a number of purposes. It's a place for cheap booze for students and a place of cheap food for families and a lot of the criticism is pure snobbery.

I must confess to only going into two in my life, the one in the Marina and one in Chichester. I'm sure there are others that are shitholes, but both those two are WAY nicer (in every respect) to quite a few 'proper' pubs I've been in.

EDIT: And even you can tolerate the one in the Marina!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

no you are probably right most in b&H arent i suppose. would be interesting (well perhaps thats pushing it) to see how many existing they took over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here