Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Which gender do you most identify with?

Which gender do you identify with?

• Man (Cis-gender)

Votes: 113 73.4%
  • Woman (Cis-gender)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Trans man

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Trans woman

• Intersex

• Non-Binary

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Genderqueer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bi-gender

• Two-spirit

• Third-gender

• Pan-gender

• Gender fluid

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Omni-gender

• Gender non-conforming

• Gender-neutral

• Agender

• Gender-expansive

• Gender-void

• Other

Votes: 20 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Anonymous poll

???
Is this a joke . There’s male , Female and a tiny minority of very confused people whose gender has been confused to them by something usually happening in their childhood . Sometimes it’s the fault of the parents as kids often outgrow stuff but sometimes it’s not the fault of anyone specific .

Everyone should be respected however but under no circumstances should anyone born a man be allowed to compete in a competition meant for women or use women’s loos .

Being respectful doesn’t mean trans people get a free pass to do whatever they feel like .

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A lot of the gender debate is very similar to the sexuality debate-not identical but similar in some rerspects.

For example, there are apparantly more non-heterosexuals now, and this is somehow due to the fact that the gay agenda has been pushed, and children are encouraged to be non heterosexual, thus making more gay and bi people - as if that were possible- trust me it isnt , in the same way as making gay and bi people straight isnt a real thing

The reality is of course is that there have always been a large % that are gay or bi, they were just too bloody terrified to be open about it. Todays more open society (in some places) means that us non heterosexuals are now able spend our liveswithout hiding and pretending we are someone we arent, so there APPEARS to be more of us

As someone who has lost a career and threatened with JAIL through being gay, has been abused verbally and physically for being gay at scvhool, its not something anyone willingly chooses, I have yet to hear of a single straight person who has said , "I woke up and decided to be straight" yet plenty think I, and others, made the choice to be gay

Similarly with gender , there have always been those who were gender different, (if thats a phrase) but too frightened, or no understanding about it, to admit it to anyone, or told "its nonsense" and again verbally or physically abused by people who "know better"

Just because some wish gender identity issues didnt exist, in the same way some wish sexuality diufferences didnt exist, doesnt make it so. They do exist, they are real for a small but sizable % of the population. Not everybody may understand (i dont about a lot of it) but that doesnt make it less real for those that are

There are some on here that cant see the difference between someones sex and that persons gender, and then refuse to accept that there is a difference.

The simple fact is, people are different, and for the huge majority that are, they just want to be treated respectrfully, and just like everyone else. They dont want to be told there existance is a nonsense, made up, or somehow less than someone elses, they dot want to be forced to live hidden lives. Its not much to ask for really.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't know if anything has "gone wrong" necessarily.

I've taken the view that we're seeing a lot more people feeling comfortable identifying as trans because we live in a much more accepting world than ever before (whilst fully acknowledging that there's a f**k of a long way to go still). It makes me wonder how many people in the 50s / 60s / 70s etc. felt they had been born in the wrong body but did not, could not, say anything about it for fear of reprisal or ostracism.

I do believe that some people might be bandwagon-ing a bit but I don't think it's many. The human condition is a wickedly complex, difficult, brilliant, bonkers thing that I tend to think that if someone feels they've been born in the wrong body then they're probably right. How the shit do I know? I'm not them.
Personally never had the need to ‘identify’ myself as anything in particular and thought I had no problem with others doing what they want - however am seeing the impact on our very close friends as one of their offspring goes through whatever the process is and I don’t really know any more. Honestly don’t know how they are coping/dealing with it or what they could/should be doing differently, if anything.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m sure we all hold our own views. But I’m also sure that nobody on here would begrudge someone living their best life, free from hatred, prejudice, ridicule, and discrimination.

We all just want to get on and live our lives with respect and dignity and I’m certain that’s what we’d want for anyone else, whomever they identify as.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A lot of the gender debate is very similar to the sexuality debate-not identical but similar in some rerspects.

For example, there are apparantly more non-heterosexuals now, and this is somehow due to the fact that the gay agenda has been pushed, and children are encouraged to be non heterosexual, thus making more gay and bi people - as if that were possible- trust me it isnt , in the same way as making gay and bi people straight isnt a real thing

The reality is of course is that there have always been a large % that are gay or bi, they were just too bloody terrified to be open about it. Todays more open society (in some places) means that us non heterosexuals are now able spend our liveswithout hiding and pretending we are someone we arent, so there APPEARS to be more of us

As someone who has lost a career and threatened with JAIL through being gay, has been abused verbally and physically for being gay at scvhool, its not something anyone willingly chooses, I have yet to hear of a single straight person who has said , "I woke up and decided to be straight" yet plenty think I, and others, made the choice to be gay

Similarly with gender , there have always been those who were gender different, (if thats a phrase) but too frightened, or no understanding about it, to admit it to anyone, or told "its nonsense" and again verbally or physically abused by people who "know better"

Just because some wish gender identity issues didnt exist, in the same way some wish sexuality diufferences didnt exist, doesnt make it so. They do exist, they are real for a small but sizable % of the population. Not everybody may understand (i dont about a lot of it) but that doesnt make it less real for those that are

There are some on here that cant see the difference between someones sex and that persons gender, and then refuse to accept that there is a difference.

The simple fact is, people are different, and for the huge majority that are, they just want to be treated respectrfully, and just like everyone else. They dont want to be told there existance is a nonsense, made up, or somehow less than someone elses, they dot want to be forced to live hidden lives. Its not much to ask for really.
Sometimes I wonder if gender is a social construct though, unlike sexuality (mostly) and biological sex. I could be wrong, but it does make me accepting (I despise the word tolerant) of folk who seem different (what is normal anyway ?)

For example, I am biologically male (an absolute). I don't believe sexuality is an absolute as it can be fluid. As regards gender, it's not something I subscribe to because although I am male I believe that all of us have traits that are often determined by natural development but also by social and environmental influence. I'm comfortable being described as a man biologically, but not by 'gender' as it automatically assigns expected attributes. So I respect it, even if I think it restrictive.

One phrase I can't abide topically is 'It's man's game' or 'Be a man'. That's another form of absolutism. What is man but a biological form ?

The long and short of it, in my estimation, is that there are two biological sexes and those that are in process of transition. Gender identity is a social construct as everyone is a unique individual. Basically you can see I don't like labels. And I rebel against social imaging based on the natural elements of biological humans.

A mature society would take no issues either way. Folk are who they are. If a person wishes to identify in a certain way that is their own journey. It makes no difference to mine.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Well if you claim you're an animal then your existence is nonsense.

That is made up.

This requires psychological help, not validation.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
I’m sure we all hold our own views. But I’m also sure that nobody on here would begrudge someone living their best life, free from hatred, prejudice, ridicule, and discrimination.

We all just want to get on and live our lives with respect and dignity and I’m certain that’s what we’d want for anyone else, whomever they identify as.
Does that apply to anyone whose politics lie to the right of Stalin? Evidence to the contrary lies all over NSC

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does that apply to anyone whose politics lie to the right of Stalin? Evidence to the contrary lies all over NSC
I suspect it wouldn't be hard to get to the right of Stalin.

bumpyboy

Oct 1, 2019
The existence of more than two sexes is biological (like intersex people) and the idea of gender fluidity is historical (there were well-defined and accepted third genders in many pre-modern cultures). If you were raised in a different culture, the idea that there are only two genders might seem as ridiculous to you as all this does.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s nice and cosy to take the line “people can identify as they like, it’s none of my business - live and let live“.
There’s more to the gender debate than that though.
Not least in schools, where impressionable children are at risk of being exposed to what some might call wacky ideologies by teachers feeling under pressure to do the “right thing”.
As a parent of school age children it is concerning.

Ps
In the absence of an unconditional option for ‘man’ I voted other

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm a bloke, some people are Ladies and others have other ways of identifying, which is fine, all I ask is that people understand that at 61 I find it all a bit confusing but I'm getting my head around what I need to and wish everyone the best life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here