Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where to buy a car?

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Any tips on places to buy a second hand car? Cazoo?Cinch?Car Giant? Etc etc.
Looking for a Toyota Hybrid Estate Auris or Corolla.
Thanks.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Auto trader is a good start, and spend a week surfing the internet doing some homework, tere is no right answer, but wait until you find exactly what you want, and at as near as damn it the right price.

Don't worry about location, cars get moved around very efficiently at a fair cost.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Locally have always found Jeffries/unbeatablecar pretty good……like the fact you can wander round and try various makes/models. Have had several cars from them over the years.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Autotrader. A good mix of private and dealers on there and you can easily search for exactly what you want.
I spent about 6 months looking before finally settling for my first car just over a year ago. It took a while but got exactly what I wanted for my budget. Just shop about before deciding.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not from a dealer, then? I have bought my last several cars as one year olds from main dealers. No complaints.

Has the risk element been eliminated from places like autotrader now, then? Buying 'privately' always used to have a high risk (bullshit) element.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not from a dealer, then? I have bought my last several cars as one year olds from main dealers. No complaints.

Has the risk element been eliminated from places like autotrader now, then? Buying 'privately' always used to have a high risk (bullshit) element.
RIsk, yes. High risk? Depends on your own personal risk level.

Personally if I could afford the model I want from a main dealer I would be looking for something like a three year old model, should get a damn good warranty with it and the price will be substantially less than new. My current car would still have been way too expensive from a main dealer for me so I ended up going to second hand dealer. Still cost me good money but around $25k less than a main dealer. The downside is that the convertible roof is gonna cost me a pretty packet to get it back to new working condition but I was aware that this may happen before I bought it. After that I will have a car that I will cherish and might even see me through.

Buyers should educate themselves on a models foibles if not buying from a main dealer or just buying a cheap car that they don’t care what it is.

Toongull

Jul 25, 2008
Hadrian's Wall
Any tips on places to buy a second hand car? Cazoo?Cinch?Car Giant? Etc etc.
Looking for a Toyota Hybrid Estate Auris or Corolla.
Thanks.
I’ve got a Corolla estate and it’s a fantastic car. First Hybrid I’ve owned and can’t fault the fuel economy. I went through motorpoint who sometimes offer good deals. Comes with servicing and warranty too.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Locally have always found Jeffries/unbeatablecar pretty good……like the fact you can wander round and try various makes/models. Have had several cars from them over the years.
I think it shut over covid, landlord wanted too much and the guy sacked it off.

I think he still sells a few cars through the website but isn’t what it was.

Is a real shame as I liked their range and quality.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not sure if these guys have links to any specific auction houses?

IMG_3162.jpeg

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
I recently got a car via Cazoo.
Was stalking it on autotrader for a couple of months then noticed they dropped the price into my price bracket so swooped.
Service from them has been decent so no complaints so far.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've finally seen the car I want, but can't afford.

I loves the new 208 GT.

Was parked next to one, last week, and she's a beauty.
Have seen plenty on the road since and they still turn my head.

So nice to see a new car that hasn't put on weight.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I’ve got a Corolla estate and it’s a fantastic car. First Hybrid I’ve owned and can’t fault the fuel economy. I went through motorpoint who sometimes offer good deals. Comes with servicing and warranty too.
as i posted here :

I have a Toyota Yaris hybrid.

It's shit:
Turning circle of a cross-channel ferry
SatNav dreadfully slow and sometimes picks routes that are a mystery
Fuel economy is worse than the Fiesta diesel wifey used to own
Visibility is poor
Slow throttle response when pulling out.
|When the battery is fully charged you get about 2 miles before the petrol motor kicks in. If there's hills or go over 40, forget it.
Climate control constantly needs adjusting, set to 18 it'll go full chat until you're freezing. turning up a degree or two makes it start blowing hot.
When driving in town it will, randomly, bleep the collision warning system.

Oh, and there's a button marked "EV" which, when pressed makes the display say "EV mode not available"

I've got rid of it now and I've never been happier to be rid of a car

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I'd never bought a car from a dealer until very recently. They're the only ones left bodging stuff up. At least the lower end . . . Trying to make a profit, or earn/steal a living. If you suspect anything may need doing, assume it does into the cost, because they will NOT have done it.

TBH it depends where you are in the market . . . I think the middle ground is private owners who keep their cars well with independant garages, whereby everything is documented.

I'd eyeing up this bad boy at the moment . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpeg
    IMG_2595.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2596.jpeg
    IMG_2596.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 23

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here