[Sussex] Where in Sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
West, West Sussex, whole bunch of very pleasant villages from Henfield, through Steyning, Storrington, Petworth all the way to Midhurst.

Thanks to Horsham District Council getting into bed with Developers, you will have many hundreds of houses around my part of the world to choose from...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Did you enjoy your time in Horsham with the kids Tim?

Horsham's so different now to what it was when I was a lad, the population must be over 50,000. Sam's still there.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Horsham's so different now to what it was when I was a lad, the population must be over 50,000. Sam's still there.

Shorehams been massively over devloped in recent years, but Horsham, like Burgess Hill in the 90's must have doubled in size.

The only saving grace is the National park boundary

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
:ohmy: Might want to do some research before moving to Bexhill. May have been nice once upon a time.

I would love to time travel to Bexhill in the 50's. Some of its housing stock is superb but now looking too big and tired for its residents. Says to me the days of localised businesses and professions before the world got big.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Likewise many of the coastal Towns in Sussex . .. . being an Art Deco fan, there's lots of very nice houses about. most of them have been ruined, particularly in the window department!!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9635398 said:
Forest Row is pretty nice, although pricey. A bit more cosmopolitan than most Sussex villages.

Green routemaster buses used to run to Forest Row, not a lot of people know that.

Mind you, not a lot of people will want to know that. :nono:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Truthfully, I love it here, but I have to admit it is pretty low down on the "picturesque" list of Sussex towns,

I had a conversation with a vicar in Southampton who was based in one of the “worst” parts of the City, and he was a Great bloke.

But talking about his parish, he said: “no one who doesn’t live here would want to live here, but the people who do live here wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.”

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You sound the same as a typical Brightonian, Sussex ceases to exist at the roundabout on the A23 at Patcham!

Not me, my old neighbours. I'm a Steyning boy originally. Coolham and Shipley for my grandparents having moved out of London in the 30's.

Crawleys too far though :laugh:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not me, my old neighbours. I'm a Steyning boy originally. Coolham and Shipley for my grandparents having moved out of London in the 30's.

Crawleys too far though :laugh:

Well three very nice villages, the Zefarellies have done very well, l salute you!

I often have my Sunday lunch at the Selsey Arms.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ok, thanks NSC, Crawley it is.....

I had never thought about Arundel but looks a really good fit with Climping nearby, avoiding the inmates.

Also Rottingdean, ticks several of the boxes especially the sea.

Steyning, Upper Beeding and Ditchling are great options.

Lewes too big? Cuckfield passport and local characters appealing but too inland i think. So many others.

I might do a week trip including Rottingdean, Ditchling, Steyning and Uppper Beeding then Arundel. As well as some of the seaside towns recomended.

Arundel also has some superb pubs and restaurants!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Seaford then for you?

It ticked most of our our boxes and 6 years on haven't regretted it once, quite the opposite.

But each to their own, one mans meat is another mans poison and all that.

All I know is that when we did that 3 day look around it was really helpful, and changed many of our views (positively as well as negatively) on a number of places

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You should check the various local plans prepared by the County and District Councils to see what developments are planned for the next few years. Otherwise your current rural idyll could become suburban commuter belt housing estates before you know it.

Anywhere around the London-Brighton rail link especially is likely to be concrete within a decade. Hassocks area especially. Lots of new housing but no new facilities (schools, doctors etc)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports