[Misc] Where have all the insects gone?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
This year I dug up large patches of lawn in an area of the garden we hardly used. I bought and scattered a load of pollinator friendly seeds and this summer we have loads of different species of bees and butterflies. I've put a load of offcuts and logs from apple trees and cherry trees that I've pruned in amongst the shrubs to encourage beetles n that and theres been loads more of them. Every little helps.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Loads of buzzy buzzy bees around our lavender, thankfully the wasps have ****ed off since I squashed a Queen in our Garage a while back.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
been working around my pond and some time back i had filled an old hole in with a load of old rocks so that no one accidentally put the foot down it and busted and ankle.

a weeping acer has pretty well covered this over and the shaded cave has been populated with a colony of bumble bees ! happy days, just hope the little buggers don’t sting any of us

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Two separate nests of white-tailed bumblebees have developed in our eaves (one in front and one in back). One colony seem to have found their way into my loft space, which is a bit irritating, as it's my WFH location - so I'm bobbing up and down ushering them out of the velux!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you want to help bees and hover-flies, plant the biennual Echium vulgare (Viper’s bugloss), it thrives in any soil, especially thin poor soils.

A pollinators magnet, ours are currently noisy from dawn to dusk, with 100’s of insects.

No need to plant them again in following years, as they self seed like crazy.

46033841-0538-4F95-9B42-07591CEC9133.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports