Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does the North start ?

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
It's a cultural thing I suppose - Lincolnshire will never be regarded as North, even though Grimsby is level with Liverpool. It will never be regarded as South either, even though glorious Stamford is just about within London commuting range.

Didn't Grimsby Town play in both Third Division North and Third Division South at various times?

what? Lincolnshire is very much in the north. People around here seem proud of that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
what? Lincolnshire is very much in the north. People around here seem proud of that.

I think the rural nature of Lincolnshire makes it hard to create an association with the North as we often perceive it. I guess that answers the original post in a way, it's down to cultural views.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's a cultural thing I suppose - Lincolnshire will never be regarded as North, even though Grimsby is level with Liverpool. It will never be regarded as South either, even though glorious Stamford is just about within London commuting range.

Didn't Grimsby Town play in both Third Division North and Third Division South at various times?

There was an article in the Daily Telegraph last year showing the socio-economic dividing line between the North and South and it now stretches across in the east to roughly 15 miles south of Grimsby.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
The North starts where the South ends. Those driving back later (hopefully with 3 points) should note when they feel they are back in the South and that would be the start of the North.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The North starts where "barth" is pronounced "bath", "pars is pronounced "pass", "clars" is pronounced "class" etc etc.

Basically where a word is pronounced as it is spelt.

I don't know exactly where the pronounciation line is but it must change somewhere, if anyone knows where that is?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The North starts where "barth" is pronounced "bath", "pars is pronounced "pass", "clars" is pronounced "class" etc etc.

Basically where a word is pronounced as it is spelt.

I don't know exactly where the pronounciation line is but it must change somewhere, if anyone knows where that is?

All fine and dandy. Except where does that leave folk from Dorset westward? They are in the south as well but by your pronunciation criteria are labelled northern.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We are just passing Chesterfield and the windscreen is freezing up. Also, I can smell gravy. I think we're close.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Henfield and the North.

I think there was a song, or was it a band?

Just south of the Arctic Circle today:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
north and south have no start or end.....they are cardinal points......both labels of polarity on the same "thing."

however, forgetting all that, it for certain starts on the A23 when it goes from 2 to 3 lanes.......or as one reaches the crest at ditching beacon.

D

Deleted member 18477

For me the south is the top of the m23 to Brighton.

The above isn't the north though. It's London> Midlands> North... so for me it's when you drive past Birmingham.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
About here?

OcVdL.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here