Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Where do you sell online these days?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I ask because I've given up using eBay as a seller. Their fees seem to me to be an absolute rip-off! I presume the Facebook marketplace is where most people sell these days? Just curious in case I'm missing something obvious.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Facebook marketplace is fine as a seller - if you are happy meeting people in person to seal the deal. As a buyer, it is an unregulated minefield of shysters - beware!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thanks all. I was specifically wondering about selling second hand stuff (much as I really like Etsy). My daughter uses Vinted to sell her clothes and that seems reasonable, but there doesn't seem to be much of a catch-all alternative to eBay to sell second hand stuff.

Here is an article on this, but I've not even heard of half of the sites listed.

Has anyone used eBid with any success before?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
ebay take a chunk, yes, but does their far wider reach, than the alternatives, mean that you are securing a better priced sale, in the first place?

My wife sells a load of second hand clothes through ebay, and at least once a month she gets a special offer from them, saving usually 80% of the variable part of the fee. So each week, she lists the humdrum stuff that is going to go for a few quid, and keeps back anything likely to sell for more, until an offer week.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Facebook marketplace is fine as a seller - if you are happy meeting people in person to seal the deal. As a buyer, it is an unregulated minefield of shysters - beware!

Funny, I'd say that as a seller on FB marketplace you have to deal with a load of shysters, either asking if you'll post it (when postage would cost more than the item itself), will you deliver or arranging to pick up and never showing.

Maybe that's just Worthing though!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Funny, I'd say that as a seller on FB marketplace you have to deal with a load of shysters, either asking if you'll post it (when postage would cost more than the item itself), will you deliver or arranging to pick up and never showing.

The once quiet, sedate, Victorian seaside town of Worthing isn't what it used to be in my yoof. Or at least many of the people that now reside in it don't seem to be. :(

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I’ve used FB a few times when it’s impractical to use eBay because of the size of an item and not had any issues to date ..BUT ..I’ve looked at some of the adverts and boy some of the comments..there’s a whole army of ‘people’ happy to just sit there all day and nitpick ..some of the abuse :facepalm:

Still use eBay the majority of the time ..but only when they do one of their 80%off deals

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

I put something on Freecycle once and got a request to drive it 10 miles for delivery.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I still use ebay, and just accept the fees for what they are.
My missus uses Marketplace, but it seems to be full of timewasters some of which try and knock the price down upon collection....fuckers
I hear what you're saying about marketplace but the obvious solution is to politely state ' no offers please '. Alternatively, you incorporate some wriggle room in your original asking price and a friendly haggle ensues when they pitch up.

What irks me is when you clearly state no offers and even before they turn up they make a silly offer and ignore what you clearly stated. In the summer I sold my young son's push bike which was in immaculate condition. I did my homework and the going rate was about £60 but I put up for £70 which is the nice 'wriggle' room. First contact right off the bat suggests they'll be round that afternoon to take it off my hands for £35! FFS As it happened I sold it to a lovely lady who travelled from Lewes to eastbourne with her young autistic boy. She didn't even want to haggle but I gave it to her for £60

The other irritation is the perpetual ' is this item still available' and despite you replying in the affirmative you hear nothing more. And don't get me started on the no shows!

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Ebay has raised their fees, but imo overall still the best experience for buyer and seller. Facebook marketplace is alright, but I have been screwed a lot on there in the sense of people promise they will come pick something up but never do.

As I said both have their pro's and con's, but overall I prefer Ebay for sure.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ebay have 80% off selling every other weekend, I just wait until then.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah, I'll second that. You will make it quite clear that the price is £50 and collection only but you'll get endless cheeky f***ers offering you a tenner and asking if you can deliver.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Am i right in saying Etsy is mostly for arty stuff people have created?
It's supposed to be. Some people just paint something and then try to charge a mint for it. Which is very disappointing to those of us that actually do make things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here