• Portslade

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 133 47.3%

• Total voters

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Bath, but before this, Leeds for 7 years, after leaving Brighton.

Part of me will always consider Brighton to be 'home', and me and Mrs Peteinblack (who's from West Wales, but has also fallen in love with Brighton) try to spend a few days there each year, basing ourselves in the North Laine area which we love especially (shout-out to our fave pub, The Basketmakers, which would be our 'local' if we lived down there).

We sometimes ponder whether to retire down to Brighton one day, but then: a) it's really a city for trendy yoof and 'creative' types; b) we couldn't afford a house in Brighton remotely similar to our current one in Bath (with a nice garden), and have no desire to live in a flat (been there, done that); c) we've built-up a really good social life and circle of friends in Bath, which would be a wrench to leave in our twilight years.

I'd stay in Bath, lovely city (lived there for a couple of years), although some of the residents think it should be treated like a museum.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
As its says by my name.
(actually just over the river in N Yorkshire)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
South Manchester, but i've previously lived in:

Brighton
Hassocks
Southwater
Littlehampton
Sa Coma (Mallorca)
Belfast
Stamford
Melton Mowbray
Narrowboat for 4 years
Calais
Sandbach
Middlewich

Also in amongst those i've spent a year in Afghanistan, a year in the Falkland Islands, 6 months in Iraq and 6 months in Cyprus.

Wow you have my respect . South Manchester ! Hehe no seriously all the army posts ( I presume army )

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I'd stay in Bath, lovely city (lived there for a couple of years), although some of the residents think it should be treated like a museum.

Yes, we do say after each visit: "Are we getting boring and less tolerant in our middle-age, or has the number of druggies and dog-on-a-rope types increased?" During our most recent visit, in September, we were shocked and saddened at how sleazy and rough St James Street (start of Kemp Town) had become.

And there were some pretty dodgy, cider-guzzling, off-their-heads, people loitering around Grand Parade/The Level/London Road too - that it could all kick-off in a second without warning.

Yeah, I know that there are lots of tragic reasons why people end up homeless/begging - Mrs Peteinblack actually does a bit of voluntary work, a few hours each week, for a homeless charity - but even so, it was pretty shocking, and depressing.

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere, we've realised!

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Shoreham by sea

not sure why the poll has a village in Kent on it.

Honourable mention to COllege Hill Steyning 71-75, Foundry St Brighton ( 2 months in 78) Hastings 1990, PLoiesti in 1999.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, we do say after each visit: "Are we getting boring and less tolerant in our middle-age, or has the number of druggies and dog-on-a-rope types increased?" During our most recent visit, in September, we were shocked and saddened at how sleazy and rough St James Street (start of Kemp Town) had become.

And there were some pretty dodgy, cider-guzzling, off-their-heads, people loitering around Grand Parade/The Level/London Road too - that it could all kick-off in a second without warning.

Yeah, I know that there are lots of tragic reasons why people end up homeless/begging - Mrs Peteinblack actually does a bit of voluntary work, a few hours each week, for a homeless charity - but even so, it was pretty shocking, and depressing.

The grass isn't always greener elsewhere, we've realised!

State of the Nation sadly . . . . Coronation Green and the Church yard in BN43 are currently popular hang outs too.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Shoreham by sea

not sure why the poll has a village in Kent on it.

Honourable mention to COllege Hill Steyning 71-75, Foundry St Brighton ( 2 months in 78) Hastings 1990, PLoiesti in 1999.

Always a great trick question in a quiz that,

Is Shoreham in Kent or West Sussex [emoji23]

I worked for a company many moons ago who had circa 1000 offices, pre web days they produced a comprehensive directory with a detailed Ul map at the front with a dot on each City/Town or village with a branch in.

Anyway our Shoreham by Sea office as you say ended up in Kent and the best one Southwick West Sussex was pinned just north of Portsmouth where the village of Southwick is pronounced Suthark

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here