Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Where did you go for an Underage Drink ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION], did you drink in the Ship in Newhaven?

My Uncle Maurice was landlord there for donkeys years.

I did! Me and some friends used to drink in there when we were 16/17. This would have been 1984/85. My friend knew a girl who worked there which made it easier for us.

The first pint I bought was aged 16 at The Buckle in Seaford; big event. I also remember buying a pint in The Sheffield as a young 16 year old. I then started going to The Ship and then moved onto The Arc as pub going became more frequent and I got the hang of it. I also moved to Lewes College around this time and a large group of us used to go to The Royal Oak on Friday.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sergison Arms, Haywards Heath. The place was teeming with underage drinkers!

Serge was a bit posh for an underage drink- Liverpool Arms was the place to be seen.............what a wonderful dump that was.
Other notable underage venues- upstairs Bent Arms Lindfield - Oak Ardingly - something in Burgess Hill but cant remember which one.

meeching gull

Sep 18, 2010
Boat Alley
[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION], did you drink in the Ship in Newhaven?

My Uncle Maurice was landlord there for donkeys years.

My first pint bought in a pub , was the Castle in Worthing, age 15.

A pint of Watneys Red Barrel,:)sick:)and a packet of 10 Number 6, was 50p.

Maurice and Kaye Deacon ? I'm sure he was related to my Step dad's sister somehow .
As for underage drinking mainly Newhaven/Peacehaven. Social Club,Sheffield,Bridge,Ship,Fisherman's and The Ark. I'm Peacehaven mainly The Retreat or The Peacehaven/Toby mostly with the old man

D

Deleted member 2719

Off the back of a post in the 'Parenting in Pubs' thread

The three that come to mind,

As a 13 year old, you could get served in the 'other' pavilion at Hove dogs. What is now and has been for some years, Alliance and Leicester.

Similar age 'The Cliftonville' outside Hove Station. 'Pint of Lager and Lime, Honestly I'm 18 mister' :wink:

And the first nightclub I ever got into, Sherry's a few weeks after my 14th Birthday. My mates, who were older, used the line 'He's Jimmy Clitheroe's younger brother' to get me in. There was a fight, someone went over the balcony and I remember the pile of rifled handbags in the corner of the Gents. I was so impressed :lolol:

(Obviously this is an old gits thread, for those long, long before ID was invented :wink:)

Everything makes sense about you now Watford.:lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
- Oak Ardingly -
Was that the one opposite Ardingly college? I remember a pal from that village introducing me to that place. An amazing place if you were 15/16, especially useful for pupils from the school opposite. Didn’t even need my dodgy ID!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There are some great memories in here.

Martha Gunn - I had a few friends who drank there early 80's including a couple of good amateur boxers. Never any trouble and was always a great little pub (but I was in my twenties by then) :wink:

Windsor Tavern - Jerry, one of my earliest workmates who was 'out' used to work there in the mid 70's. By the mid/late 70's all furniture had been removed (No tables or chairs), walls had been painted black and it was punk. Very very punk :rock:

And Trevor Arms at Glynde - 'Station Master ?' in house at the station had two daughters, very 'advanced' for their years. Arranged to meet them at the Trevor, and got chased out by the local kids - Early 70's.

Memories :lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Serge was a bit posh for an underage drink- Liverpool Arms was the place to be seen.............what a wonderful dump that was.
Other notable underage venues- upstairs Bent Arms Lindfield - Oak Ardingly - something in Burgess Hill but cant remember which one.

Another vote for the Liverpool Arms plus the Burrell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Was that the one opposite Ardingly college? I remember a pal from that village introducing me to that place. An amazing place if you were 15/16, especially useful for pupils from the school opposite. Didn’t even need my dodgy ID!

That was the Avins Bridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Was that the one opposite Ardingly college? I remember by pal from that village Introduced me to that place. An amazing place if you were 15/16, especially useful for pupils from the school opposite.

Think the one sort of opposite the school (but down the road a bit from the gates) was the Avins bridge - closed now i think
The Oak was in the village - closed now as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here