Where did swear words come from?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
f*** was something to do with Fornication Under C? ? King or something like that, abbreviation.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
f*** is "probably cognate" with a number of native Germanic words with meanings involving striking, rubbing, and having sex

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Fornication Under the Consent of the King I think... it is right I swear, I saw it on Sexcetera!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
f*** was something to do with Fornication Under C? ? King or something like that, abbreviation.

There are several acronyms for these things (E.g For Uncommon Carnal Knowledge, or Store High In Transit), all of which as far as I know are rubbish. I would have thought abbreviations, mnemonics, acronyms are a relatively new concept and all these words go back a long way.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
the 2 fingers is a battle sign, we catch your archers, we will cut those fingers off.

Henry V included a reference to the French cutting off longbowmen's fingers in a pre-battle speech, the story was around at the time of Agincourt, although it does not necessarily mean that the French practised it, just that Henry found it useful for propaganda, and it does not show that the two-fingered salute is derived from the hypothetical behaviour of English archers at that battle.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Fornication Under the Consent of the King I think... it is right I swear, I saw it on Sexcetera!

There are several urban-legend false etymologies postulating an acronymic origin for the word. None of these acronyms was ever recorded before the 1960s, according to the authoritative lexicographical work The F-Word, and thus are backronyms.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
**** is from the Grope **** Lane in London where the ladies of the night used to hang out in the olden days !! APPARENTLY !!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
There are several urban-legend false etymologies postulating an acronymic origin for the word. None of these acronyms was ever recorded before the 1960s, according to the authoritative lexicographical work The F-Word, and thus are backronyms.

Eh?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
During the Black Death in the Middle Ages, towns were trying to control populations and their interactions. Since uncontaminated resources were scarce, many towns required permission to have children. Hence, the legend goes, that couples that were having children were required to first obtain royal permission (usually from a local magistrate or lord) and then place a sign somewhere visible from the road in their home that said "Fornicating Under Consent of King", which was later shortened to "f***". This story is hard to document, but has persisted in oral and literary traditions for many years; however, it has been demonstrated to be an urban legend.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
More importantly, what's your FAVOURITE swear word?

Don't like the C word myself, but then a lot of women don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports