Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are your savings kept?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Agree entirely with this - we get a lot of graduate recruits who have degrees that are essentially useless in our business, and I'm far from convinced that the 'growing up' they're supposed to have done for three years was much use either, but they have £40k+ of debt. My eldest is at uni for 'free' (nursing - so career path after is very clear) so will be debt-free, but youngest has just taken on his first-year £12k or so of debt for a qualification that may or may not lead anywhere. Maybe I'm biased as I never went to Uni though.......

Problem is that we (I work in a Uni) are being forced (by management and politicians) to 'infantilise' students - we are constantly being told to 'do this for them, because they are paying all this money', or 'don't be too hard on them if they don't work hard or attend classes, because they are paying your salary'. So we are being compelled to churn out 'kidult' graduates who never grow up in their three years at Uni - believe me, it pisses us off, but University managers are in thrall to student 'customers', and obsessed with good ratings in the NSS (National Student Survey) and other league tables, so we are forced to pander to Tarquin and Jocasta, and treat them like children rather than adults.

And then we get criticised by employers for producing useless graduates :rant: .

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My savings are £178 as of today

Got married in the summer so basically starting from scratch. Painful.

Don't put away a lot each month but it's pretty regular so I've actually been looking at options other than my current ISA.

Regarding Uni, I did it for 3 years, rocketed up debt and don't work in the sector I studied. I don't regret it for one second. Best 3 years of my life, met some great friends and gained a qualification.

I've never seen the money they take from me to repay my "crippling debt" so really not fussed. The day it's paid off will be lovely, I'm sure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Problem is that we (I work in a Uni) are being forced (by management and politicians) to 'infantilise' students - we are constantly being told to 'do this for them, because they are paying all this money', or 'don't be too hard on them if they don't work hard or attend classes, because they are paying your salary'. So we are being compelled to churn out 'kidult' graduates who never grow up in their three years at Uni - believe me, it pisses us off, but University managers are in thrall to student 'customers', and obsessed with good ratings in the NSS (National Student Survey) and other league tables, so we are forced to pander to Tarquin and Jocasta, and treat them like children rather than adults.

And then we get criticised by employers for producing useless graduates :rant: .

Hadn't realised that.......must be hugely frustrating but can see it's now about the 'paying customer' and all that goes with it. How messed up.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Zopa (getting around 7%, but varies, lost a bit early doors by going for higher return riskier options!

Also invest in local start-ups etc, much higher risk but been there with a few businesses so can minimise the risk.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So I have some of my money in p2p lending with Funding Circle and so far I am relatively happy with them, getting solid returns of about 7.2% at the moment, I am thinking about putting some more money in to one of their rivals that do more first charge secured lending as I think this is a safer option.

The rest of my money is currently sitting in a savings account earning a real interest rate of bugger all and soon to be negative if interest rates do go up as a result of a falling pound...

So where do you park your money? What sort of returns are you getting? How secure is it?

I've long been interested in Zopa, but would be keep to hear your experience of funding circle?

I'm impressed by the 7%+ returns but as I understand neither are covered by the Government-backed Financial Services Compensation Scheme. That would protect up to £75k. For me, any peer-to-peer investing should sit amongst a portfolio of assets (cash/equities/bonds) I'm just not convinced it's big enough should we hit a downturn. Especially as money is so cheap to borrow at the moment. What happens when rates rise (which they surely will) and the people you've lent to struggle to repay? For me, the 7% return represents the high risk. Not for me, personally.

My savings are currently doing nothing for me, so I do need to make a decision on where to put it. I'm very risk averse to will probably invest in a wide spread/low risk/low return environment - what that looks like yet I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Ok Cheers, sorry i could not help you i am still looking for the best place myself.

Property in Rotherham is something i was going to look at as supposedly there is a big regeneration going on. (according to someone i spoke to yesterday)

Have you looked at that sort of thing?

I came back from Rotherham on Sunday - no sign of it yet! :lolol:

I'd always be weary of regeneration advice - I'm constantly hearing that Newhaven is going to have millions spent on it.. but nothing seems to change.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I own a 3 bed house out right that I can live in if return to UK or continue to rent out while living abroad.

Once I have enough in basic savings to buy a simple bedsit I plan to do that and rent it. Seems safer than most options out there but little worried will be more hassles, turnover of tenants and maintenance than the family home.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I have an aunt who lives in Whitehawk, she keeps all her saving under a mattress, mainly because nobody would think to look in her front garden for money.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I use Zopa/Ratesetter for short term savings

Always found them to be good. I also belonged to an Investment Club, we all put a lump in at the outset and then £50 a month, there was about 20 of us at one point, met up, argued, had a few beers and purchased mid - high risk shares, loads of fun.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
NSC Investment Club?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The rules are a little cumbersome now but it's possible, there's a few packages you can buy. Need a very good bean counter, that's for sure ... any offers?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Could be interested.......

Admin is always an issue (finding people with the time to do it), but can be helped by using a dedicated broker that offers a club facility - this is one of the most popular and site contains some useful info - https://www.share.com/accounts/dealing-accounts/investment-club/account-overview/

Mostly an excuse for a beer and a chat once a month anyway once established isn't it ? :thumbsup:

I have worked in Treasury for 6 years for Financial Institutions, however not sure on legal side if I am allowed to run something like this. Dedicated broker could be the way to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here