Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When you watch the Albion

When you watch the Albion

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I stopped buying a season during Poyet second season when i started looking at my watch 10 mins before the final whistle, grinding out a win at home in our present league does not encourage me to take out a season ticket and the thought of attending an away game is nil, like other interests there must be entertainment

The problem was that we didn’t win a high proportion of league Amex games under Poyet and Garcia, added to the tame passing it around the back and a phalanx of shit strikers (except Ulloa). CH showed in the brilliant 2 Amex seasons 2015/16 and 2016/17 what we could achieve .... endless wins and goals.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I stopped buying a season during Poyet second season when i started looking at my watch 10 mins before the final whistle, grinding out a win at home in our present league does not encourage me to take out a season ticket and the thought of attending an away game is nil, like other interests there must be entertainment

Are you sure you meant the second season?

D

Deleted member 2719

The problem was that we didn’t win a high proportion of league Amex games under Poyet and Garcia, added to the tame passing it around the back and a phalanx of shit strikers (except Ulloa). CH showed in the brilliant 2 Amex seasons 2015/16 and 2016/17 what we could achieve .... endless wins and goals.

To be fair CH has been Burke free, I am convinced Sami was not helped by having him poking his nose in.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I voted "to see us win"...……

…….. but two matches I enjoyed last season were home thrashings by Liverpool and Chelsea. Once you accepted we probably weren't going to get much out of it, you could be entertained by the opposition...…. and we had our moments in both games ourselves anyway, from what I remember.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be fair CH has been Burke free, I am convinced Sami was not helped by having him poking his nose in.

Some truth in that I think, Hyppia’s squad was the weakest in our Amex years. Above Burke, it was also obvious that TB has made a strategic decision to cut the huge cost of the playing side. Later emphatically reversed with real quality added to CH’s squad.

Poyet 2012/13 had:
Upson, Bridge, Lopez, Bridcutt, Orlandi, Ulloa, Buckley, Hammond.

Replaced with:
Halford, J.Bennett, Holla, Bent, Gardner, Forster-Caskey starting games, Colunga, Ince.

D

Deleted member 2719

Some truth in that I think, Hyppia’s squad was the weakest in our Amex years. Above Burke, it was also obvious that TB has made a strategic decision to cut the huge cost of the playing side. Later emphatically reversed with real quality added to CH’s squad.

Poyet 2012/13 had:
Upson, Bridge, Lopez, Bridcutt, Orlandi, Ulloa, Buckley, Hammond.

Replaced with:
Halford, J.Bennett, Holla, Bent, Gardner, Forster-Caskey starting games, Colunga, Ince.

Yes, it was no wonder we bombed!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I voted "to see us win"...……

…….. but two matches I enjoyed last season were home thrashings by Liverpool and Chelsea. Once you accepted we probably weren't going to get much out of it, you could be entertained by the opposition...…. and we had our moments in both games ourselves anyway, from what I remember.

Fair point. Absolute lesson in football, both games.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Happy to see us win. However we make it happen. Having reached the Premier league, it was, realistically, always going to be this way. The Championship is full of clubs that were ' Too good to go down ".

I'll take where we are now over that.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But what matches do you look back at and think that was an entertaining match, your 1-0 undeserved wins or you Boxing day 4-4 draw at the Priestfield.

The only 1-0 nil that gave me any joy off the top of my head was beating Bristol City at Cardiff, why because that match had silverware attached to it.

When we are challenging for silverware my boredom threshold will change a bit!

I recall a 1-0 victory against a team called Doncaster Rovers in 1997 that gave me more joy than any other home victory of 45 years watching the Albion. It was very scrappy , it wasn’t very entertaining, and the goal was a bit of a scramble.

Last season’s 1-0 victory against Manchester United was okay too, but if truth be told wasn’t a classic of free flowing football either.

D

Deleted member 2719

I recall a 1-0 victory against a team called Doncaster Rovers in 1997 that gave me more joy than any other home victory of 45 years watching the Albion. It was very scrappy , it wasn’t very entertaining, and the goal was a bit of a scramble.

Last season’s 1-0 victory against Manchester United was okay too, but if truth be told wasn’t a classic of free flowing football either.

Ah yes how did I forget the Donny one, obviously I was not expecting any entertainment that day. If we had only ventured over the halfway line once all game, I would have taken it. But it really has to be a do or die situation to put up with no adventure week in week out as it just seems pointless as a fan of football and excitement.

Let's just say I prefer an excitement factor of 7+ a game, 6's and below just show we had no ambition in the game or the wrong team was picked.

Michael Owen has already forecasted our fixture today to be dour, let's hope he's wrong. We are being tagged a boring side by anyone that watches enough of us.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-predicts-dour-encounter-15483061

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Results are everything. But I don't go to games so what do I know.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ah yes how did I forget the Donny one, obviously I was not expecting any entertainment that day. If we had only ventured over the halfway line once all game, I would have taken it. But it really has to be a do or die situation to put up with no adventure week in week out as it just seems pointless as a fan of football and excitement.

Let's just say I prefer an excitement factor of 7+ a game, 6's and below just show we had no ambition in the game or the wrong team was picked.

Michael Owen has already forecasted our fixture today to be dour, let's hope he's wrong. We are being tagged a boring side by anyone that watches enough of us.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-owen-predicts-dour-encounter-15483061

Yup, it’s not exciting but given a choice between 12th and a bit dull and 18th and a few more defeats I’d take the former. Suspect we are both old enough to remember the Mike Bailey days and 1-0 victories at home to Arsenal and Manchester United, and away at Anfield, were memorable.

New signings have failed to over impress, some existing players have shown a dip in form and we have the 5th lowest budget in the division, whereas Leicester can bring off the bench Vardy and Ineacho.

I have membership at the Etihad as well as following the Albion, but when both clubs are playing on the same day there’s only one choice for me...and it’s the less entertaining one because it’s the Albion innit. For better or worse, richer or poorer, death til us part.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I notice that voting for 'Do you go to be entertained' there are quite a few long term NSCers and Albion fans.

I would have thought that you would have learnt by now :p

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The result is always more important than entertainment. I go to see us win, not be entertained.

In saying that though, a defeat can be less painful if at least we've played well and caused some excitement, or even if the opposition have been wonderful to watch (Liverpool & Chelsea home defeats last season spring to mind).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
other

I want to be entertained, but entertained comes in many forms. It's clear some people's entertainment has to be attacking football even if that isn't their side's strength at present. Personally, I can be entertained by a rear guard action against Wolves, spirited comebacks against Fulham and Southampton, taking it to MU and beating them, getting a lead at Newcastle and holding on for a well earned win.

I'm also entertained by what the opposition does and how their quality and tactics can shape a game.

I'm still enjoying the skill, pace and intensity offered in Premier League games, even if that isn't always from our team. Better form is to come. We've got to stick by the team, the manager, the staff, show a bit of unity, otherwise we'll just turn into another PL club whose fans demand the [.......]* head every season or so.

*insert manager's, owner's, chief exec's, etc.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I go out of a sense of loyalty, from as early as I started to go properly we were already on the downward spiral from the mid 80s, and yes a few peaks were achieved, but there was always that sense that we had work to do, on the field and behind the scenes. Now that the stadium has been built and relative calm has descended behind the scenes, for once it seems we can truly just concentrate on the field and squad, therefore what ever happens now it seems is plus, yes I get frustrated and to honest I am getting fed up with the negative approach by CH, but he kept us up last year, and we are on target to stay up so far this season.

It has been a long road to this position we find ourselves as fans in that we can now just moan about the squad, style of play, we don't actually know how lucky we are, but we can only use "look how far we have come, be satisfied with where we are" for so long, before we can legitimately wonder when is the next step and can we take it. The Albion have been a massive part of my life, I have got angry, frustrated, depressed, all because of the Albion, spent hard earned money, taken time out of my life to follow them.....

When I go to watch the Albion I go because of loyalty, I never expect a victory, I hope for victory.

Loyalty to Thee Albion, Sussex, Family & Friends.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here