When will these hacks ever learn?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
In today's Telegraph sports section, there's a piece by Nicholas Spencer and Christopher Davies entitled 'FA aims to silence sleaze-buster'.

Apparently Graham Bean, the FA compliance officer, is on gardening leave from his job and became disillusioned due to lack of support from the likes of Crozier.

"Bean, a detective sergeant with the South Yorkshire force before joining the FA, uncovered financial malpractice at Chesterfield but felt undermined by the punishment: a points deduction which cost the club the Division Three championship but not their promotion."

Now if Chief Sports Writer and Albion fan Paul Hayward had been writing this story and not these 2 hacks, the Chesterfield reference might have been worded slightly differently...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suspect that whatever had been written, the subs would have changed it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is no excuse, lazy and piss-poor. Nothing to stop people emailing the sports editor though, they will (believe it or not) take some pride in the accuracy of their output at the Telegraph and while in the bigger picture it is old news and not that big a deal, had it been the difference between a title for United and Arsenal (yeah, like the FA would have let it go that far) I'm guessing it would have been correct. Even if they'd said the ongoing off-field nonsense had probably robbed them of the title, that is a valid point of view (not mine, but not technically wrong).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've always promised myself that I'd never turn into one of those 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' people who write angry letters to newspapers.

Regardless of how well-intentioned they are, it's like they've got nothing better to do with their time. Whereas I've got NSC...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The person who needs to contact them is Danny Cullip. I think he'd make the point about the significance of his winner in a suitably forceful fashion.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That was one of my favourite Albion moments when Danny rose to power home that header against Chesterfield and win us the Championship BY RIGHT (remember that this was BEFORE the deduction of 9 points had actually been made). The Cheaterfield fans banging on about how they were the "real champions" just made the moment that much sweeter!!!!

:lolol:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
hart's shirt said:
I've always promised myself that I'd never turn into one of those 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' people who write angry letters to newspapers.

Regardless of how well-intentioned they are, it's like they've got nothing better to do with their time. Whereas I've got NSC...

Shirty I completely agree with you. Today however, I really don't have anything better to do with my time so accordingly have sent the following to their Sports Editor;

For the attention of David Welch, Sports Dept.

With regard to today's article 'FA Aim to Silence Sleaze-Buster' by Nicholas Spencer and Christoper Davies, it's galling to see a piece of lazy journalism yet again belittle Brighton & Hove Albion's achievement in winning the Third Division Championship in 2000-1. Brighton finished 13 points clear of Chesterfield, and were indeed presented with the Championship trophy the evening they beat Chesterfield to make the title a mathematical certainty BEFORE CHESTERFIELD'S POINTS DEDUCTION HAD BEEN CONFIRMED.

Brighton have had to put up with a commonly held assumption that they somehow won the title by default ever since.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Well put HHS.

I'm strongly in favour of this idea of sending Lord Daniel of Cullip to Canary Wharf in order to making this very point to some posh rugby-watching Torygraph bellend in person.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You're a better man than I, Herne Hill! It'll be interesting to see what Mr Welch comes back with.

Seeing as scientists can now successfully clone sheep and horses, how long before the issue of journalists is mentioned?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Brightonfan1983 said:
I wanted to copy and paste and email Herne Hill's letter but after scouring their website couldn't find where to go...

It was slightly convoluted, '83, but as I said I've nothing better to do today. Got the Sports Ed's name from the list of contacts in there somewhere. There's a link which says 'email us' on the home page, open that and go through the general enquiries route - they don't have a 'comments/complaints' email for some unfathomable reason!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Shirty, the last thing need is cloned Torygraph journalists

perhaps the scientists could try and generate decent ones instead :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It's beyond me how some "journalists" can get away with this, let alone get a job. It's not very often that I send a letter to a "news"paper, but I sent this one...

I think it is about time that if journalists are going to write articles, they should do at least some research beforehand.
The points that Chesterfield had deducted DID NOT cost them the Div 3 championship. Yes, it may have affected the players to the extent that they dropped points that they would normally have picked up. But on the night of 01 May 2001, Danny Cullip's goal in the 78th minute gave BHA a 1-0 victory over Chesterfield. This result confirmed BHA as the Div 3 champions WITHOUT Chesterfield having the 9 point deduction.
I hope that this clears up any misinformed journalism from the people in question.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm disappointed with the Telegraph.

Politics aside, their sports coverage is usually really good. Mihir Bose did excellent exposes of the Wembley and Picketts Lock fiascos. They've got Alan Hansen giving his views on football, Derek Pringle on cricket, and Marcus Armitage on racing. And any paper that's got an Albion supporter contributing majorly to its sports section has got to be not all bad.

Sort it out hacks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports