Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When should you pot on an Acer seedling?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have two on the go. One I have potted up and it seems to have been transfixed into a stupor. One I potted up last year conked out in the late summer. The other is where it self seeded. I am inclined to leave it there, even though the pot has a golden rain tree seedling growing in it.

Any advice?

I feel I would appreciate a steer more than reading any more bed wetting bollocks about how shit the Albion are, this evening.

Plant potter OUT!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
This wins my prize for most random NSC thread of the year. I really have no idea what you are talking about :ROFLMAO:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This wins my prize for most random NSC thread of the year. I really have no idea what you are talking about :ROFLMAO:
Acer. A lovely tree. More poignant than 1-1 versus Bumley. Fact.

1713040330714.png

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The trick is not over pot them as they are prone to root rot. It's much better to increase the pot size each growing season by just an inch or two.

They also really benefit from air pots to avoid becoming root bound, in a couple of seasons you'll be able to choose a larger pot where it'll be happy for a few years before needing a root prune and re pot.

Attachments

• xair-pot-product.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xD6Cm7MMEL.jpg
    xair-pot-product.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xD6Cm7MMEL.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 14

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd take the potted up one to the garden centre, leave it in the car and go and buy a new one! :lolol:
I used to have a lovely Acer, as it was in the ground I couldn't take it when I moved. :(
This. We actually did take it from one house to the next one but, by the next move it was way too big. And we've never found another one like it, but have about 15 of them around the garden.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This. We actually did take it from one house to the next one but, by the next move it was way too big. And we've never found another one like it, but have about 15 of them around the garden.
I had a beautiful white lilac at the front that was given to me and had huge sentimental value, obviously I couldn't take that either but when I went by a few years ago it was no longer there. That made me feel so sad and even sadder at the fact the front garden was an overgrown mess. They deserve the (no longer) dwarf conifers for not looking after my Lilac tree, may their lounge always be in shade! :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Acer's really need an acidic soil to thrive so if/ when you pot up use Ericaceous compost and water with rain water if you are in a " Hard " water area ..

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I have two on the go. One I have potted up and it seems to have been transfixed into a stupor. One I potted up last year conked out in the late summer. The other is where it self seeded. I am inclined to leave it there, even though the pot has a golden rain tree seedling growing in it.

Any advice?

I feel I would appreciate a steer more than reading any more bed wetting bollocks about how shit the Albion are, this evening.

Plant potter OUT!
Can you post a couple of photos? What soil/compost did you pot in to? Is the self-seeded one in a pot too, or in the garden?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can you post a couple of photos? What soil/compost did you pot in to? Is the self-seeded one in a pot too, or in the garden?
Later, but this should do.

The two seedlings I have now were both self seeded. Both in pots sitting on the patio under the big acer. The soil in each is from the garden compost.

The one I moved on is in a bigger pot full of acer-specific material (I think it was John Inness number two - but it was what the Royal Horticulture society pages recommended. It was moved on without disturbing the soil of the original pot. It has the two smooth initial leaves and two 'typical' acer leaves.

The one I have not potted on has only the first two smooth leaves.

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here is the one I have not attempted to move:

1713080701643.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And here is the one I potted up as described

1713080767616.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here