Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] When Premier League matches are played behind closed doors

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I am going to risk it and go to the Arsenal game. It will be interesting to see how full the ground will be on Saturday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think there is a pretty good chance the league won’t get to run it’s course this season now. It’s only going to take a few teams to be in self isolation to cause havoc. Going to be fun seeing how the league manage the relegation/promotion issues if that’s the case.

Unfortunately it looks like Liverpool will still have won the league by the time it gets to that stage.

With or without crowds, it will need to complete. Promotions and relegations will need to be sorted.

The pandemic will be over after a period, life will then be back to normal, including sport.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Is going to a football match any worse than travelling on the tube, visiting an airport shopping centres, bar or restaurant?

What is the logic behind stopping a football match but then allowing people to continue to do all of those things?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
With or without crowds, it will need to complete. Promotions and relegations will need to be sorted.

Not necessarily. Italy is discussing three scenarios:

1) Current standings are final
2) Play-offs for important positions
3) Scrubbing the season altogether

1 or 3 sound great for the Premier League, obviously.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Wouldn't fancy our chances one bit if they did a bottom of the league playoff for relegation! :ohmy:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

More worrying for the non-PL clubs where matchday income is more important than the TV money. Dont know about all of the clubs but Swansea (https://financialfootballnews.com/swansea-citys-2019-finances-relegation-pains) would not survive the season being cancelled unless there is some type of relief, and I dont think they are in a unique position.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Unfortunately it looks like Liverpool will still have won the league by the time it gets to that stage.

But on the bright side they won't be able to have a victory parade as that would be too many people gathering in one place!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

yeah right now, but what if it happens in 2 weeks and we just slip in there?

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Is going to a football match any worse than travelling on the tube, visiting an airport shopping centres, bar or restaurant?

What is the logic behind stopping a football match but then allowing people to continue to do all of those things?

Good point. It’s a bit like banning the players from shaking hands before kick off and then as soon as the final whistle went at Wolves, they all er em ... shook hands!! :mad:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well plenty may have been too subjective a descriptor. But it isn’t confined to old folks.

I think it's "young and healthy", that's misleading, as well, as you say, as the word "plenty". Some younger people MAY have succumbed to the virus although are most likely to have had other underlying medical conditions. There's a lot of hype and scaremongering going on at the moment but one stat that's not being challenged is 99% of those that contract the illness will fully recover so it's not a death sentence, although if the patient does have other underlying medical conditions it could be.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I 100% agree with Pep. Football is for the fans, postpone matches and play them later in the year. If that means scrapping the Euros for a year then so be it,

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think it's "young and healthy", that's misleading, as well, as you say, as the word "plenty". Some younger people MAY have succumbed to the virus although are most likely to have had other underlying medical conditions. There's a lot of hype and scaremongering going on at the moment but one stat that's not being challenged is 99% of those that contract the illness will fully recover so it's not a death sentence, although if the patient does have other underlying medical conditions it could be.
10,149 confirmed cases in Italy of which 631 have died. That's a death rate of over 6%. Most victims are over 70: 77%.

We are about 2 weeks behind Italy on a similar case trajectory. They have had 168 deaths in the past 24 hours.

This is about to get very serious folks.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
10,149 confirmed cases in Italy of which 631 have died. That's a death rate of over 6%. Most victims are over 70: 77%.

We are about 2 weeks behind Italy on a similar case trajectory. They have had 168 deaths in the past 24 hours.

This is about to get very serious folks.

Apologies, it's 90% who are 70+.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I 100% agree with the idea that it is not a death sentence. Not in the slightest.

My reply was to the comment that it was simply an old person’s issue and that we shouldn’t do anything to minimise the risk (apart from invoking some kind of blitz spirit...). I was attempting to note that whilst the risk is lower for young people, it is not zero and on the scale that it is currently spreading we should be doing everything we can to mitigate the virus and this includes changing our everyday behaviours.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I 100% agree with the idea that it is not a death sentence. Not in the slightest.

My reply was to the comment that it was simply an old person’s issue and that we shouldn’t do anything to minimise the risk (apart from invoking some kind of blitz spirit...). I was attempting to note that whilst the risk is lower for young people, it is not zero and on the scale that it is currently spreading we should be doing everything we can to mitigate the virus and this includes changing our everyday behaviours.

Agreed, and as a business owner I'm aware how serious this is and the role we should play in it.

We have already changed some behaviours and routines at work and have been very clear about what people can and should do, how we can support them and what we plan to do in the scenarios we've imagined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here