Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did you start supporting the Albion?

When did you start following the Albion

• Total voters

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
1st game. 1972, 2-1 win against Hudds. Primary school team outing.

Started going properly at the start of the glory years. Bus & Train to every home game & Seagull special to most away. except London games, King of the road coach from Worthing Seafront.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
8/9 when we started the rise from the ashes. I was late to get in to football.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
1963 Viva Fred Binney!!

Mathew Le Tissier played for us ?
I know I'm a senile old git (first game 1966) but I think Fred Binney was 1973 not 63! And Le Tiss played in a testimonial game if that counts.

For me it's not the crap football; all in all over the years it's been 'crap' far more than it's been 'good' - it's the price that pisses me off. In the old days I never thought a bad game was a waste of money, it was just a laugh, a way of spending an afternoon. Now if I see a poor game (and as we're a struggling 3rd division side there's obviously been a few of them) I can't help feeling that my £50, £100 whatever (depending on how many tickets I've bought) could have been far better spent. Especially at Withdean.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I arrived late and couldn't get in at all :angry:

Shame, you missed Le Tiss & Liam Brady in the stripes. Robbie Fowler was awesome.

Just at the end of the glory years, New Years Day 1983 to be precise, a dire 1 - 1 draw v Watford, however a certain P. Ward was playing, back on loan from Forest and I think he scored!

Don't get to as many games as I used to (mid to late eighties I managed most home games) but intend to improve on this hopefully once we get to Falmer,

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
1971-1972 season. Taken to my first game by a girl I had a crush on; lost 2-0 at home to Halifax, but I was hooked.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I know I'm a senile old git (first game 1966) but I think Fred Binney was 1973 not 63! And Le Tiss played in a testimonial game if that counts.

For me it's not the crap football; all in all over the years it's been 'crap' far more than it's been 'good' - it's the price that pisses me off. In the old days I never thought a bad game was a waste of money, it was just a laugh, a way of spending an afternoon. Now if I see a poor game (and as we're a struggling 3rd division side there's obviously been a few of them) I can't help feeling that my £50, £100 whatever (depending on how many tickets I've bought) could have been far better spent. Especially at Withdean.

Think he signed for Brighton in 74 with Clough...

Just loved the bloke though...

Cant remember that clearly now...
Think he came after that lanky scarecrow Lamie Robertson

Last edited:

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
When I settled in Hove in 1998 I got into the Albion when Horton was manager and they played at Priestfield, the whole plight of the club at this time got me involved, only as an armchair fan mind. I was pretty skint back then, and paying to go up to Gillingham for a home game wasn't viable on my finances.

Up until 1998 I never really had an English club - unlike everyone I grew up with - I just liked football full stop. I did go to a lot of old Division One games in London and Liverpool when I was a squaddie, but as a neutral, none of them caught my imagination. I was more into the clothes/casual stuff - but never as a scrapper, I had no-one to fight for, and never got into any trouble. I also went to Ibrox occasionally, but all the "Kick the Pope" stuff put me off a bit. I was never a Rangers fan, I just accompanied mates who were fans and enjoyed the big stadium and the clothes/casual thing again. I love the buzz of a city centre pub on a matchday - who doesn't?

I was born in Northern Ireland and was living all over the UK, first as a soldier, then a student. I can remember Steve Penney playing for my home town club when I was a little kid - Ballymena Utd - then always kept an eye out for him when he moved to the Goldstone in 1983. My first Albion game attended was at Withers against Southend (?) in the 1999-00 season. The quirkyness of the club and the ground won my heart at once, and I was completely converted, after years of having a "soft spot" for BHAFC.

The rest, as they say, is history.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
My 1st game was in 1970 but I still prefered Chelsea at the time, During the next couple of years the Albion became my 1st team and Chelsea my 2nd.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Mansfield at home 2/4/77 as a birthday treat, think we won 4-2 and they had a sending off.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just coming up to my 43 year anniversary - my first game was January 1967.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
First game was 1988, but probably didn't really start going regularly until 1993/4.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Brighton 0-1 Birmingham 15-10-1994

I think I watched Brighton play 12 times before I saw them win a game. Really was the start of the bad old days. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here