Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] When did you last see a hedgehog?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We do have a have quite a few in and around ours and our neighbour's garden. They properly look after them, buying food in and have motion cameras set up to watch them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
9 million to under an estimated 250k in my lifetime...and getting worse by the day. We think of species Extinction for things like tigers and elephants overseas and forget we’re doing the same here to our wildlife. Well you can do something right here and now and that’s keep your hedges you lazy f uckers and just cut them one or twice a year instead of replacing them with ‘Low maintenance’ brick walls and fences. Christ on a bike, people do my head in over their fecking ‘convenience’ lifestyles. Same twats drive to the shops for a bag of crisps, flattening poor Harry on route. People in this country could do so much more but are too lazy or pig ignorant to change. Do I win rant of the day?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Don't see them in the garden any more because of dog. They still visit as we leave food out in a special hedgehog tube (drainpipe weighted down with bricks) and they still shit on the lawn.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
9 million to under an estimated 250k in my lifetime...and getting worse by the day. We think of species Extinction for things like tigers and elephants overseas and forget we’re doing the same here to our wildlife. Well you can do something right here and now and that’s keep your hedges you lazy f uckers and just cut them one or twice a year instead of replacing them with ‘Low maintenance’ brick walls and fences. Christ on a bike, people do my head in over their fecking ‘convenience’ lifestyles. Same twats drive to the shops for a bag of crisps, flattening poor Harry on route. People in this country could do so much more but are too lazy or pig ignorant to change. Do I win rant of the day?

Paving over gardens to park cars also causes problems, but I can understand why people do it. Keep at least one flower bed and a hedge so hedgehogs can eat and travel through.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Paving over gardens to park cars also causes problems, but I can understand why people do it. Keep at least one flower bed and a hedge so hedgehogs can eat and travel through.

Yep, I deliberately left paving out because of cars. Our streets are so congested it’s a reluctant choice for many To do and if people hadn’t then can you imagine the congestion then? It’s all linked to disastrous government policies though over decades. Anyway, people should keep their other boundaries green and accessible for wildlife to move through ie no fake hedges as I call em where there’s also a wire mesh preventing hedge hogs and other larger mammals from moving through.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

... and THIS type of post is why I fundamentally disagree with the Ignore User feature. With respect, we disagree on many topics but then you get an impassioned post like this. My garden is a shambles of a jungle, ideal for all kinds of animals. I even have a horrid old tree at the end of the garden which is home to many, many birds.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
... and THIS type of post is why I fundamentally disagree with the Ignore User feature. With respect, we disagree on many topics but then you get an impassioned post like this. My garden is a shambles of a jungle, ideal for all kinds of animals. I even have a horrid old tree at the end of the garden which is home to many, many birds.

Absolutely Ninja and more power to your elbow. As you point out, you’re helping the environment by letting your garden go wild. I salute you, Sir! Well played and we’re doing same. Just need to find an old fridge to finish off the new look ;)

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
About 15 months ago.

What sweet and cute wildlife they are, obviously I didn't pick it up as they get their spikes out when they're frightened but his/her little nose made it look a lovely creature. When I went to get the torch it had disappeared. I hope it was ok and is still around somewhere - I don't know how long they live for on average though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
our front garden is wildflowers, pond and stuff, we have a drive but its less than half . . . not seen any prickly dudes, but we lost our door mat a few weeks ago . . . fox pinched it and was using it as a bed in the borders!

people paving their gardens completely makes my piss boil for numerous reasons. It should be illegal due to causing localised flooding for one reason.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Dead probably a weekly occurrence, last saw one waddling down the drive about 3 years ago, but we've moved since and it hasn't followed...........

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
In the shire (albourne) we have a good healthy population. I regularly see 3 different hogs this year.

Interestingly, the last place I saw one was last week on a Greek island! I had no idea that the hedgehog is pan European and thrives in countries where they don’t need to hibernate.

The Greek island in question has no vehicles (not even bicycles) so there is no road kill either.

Love a hedgehog!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
our front garden is wildflowers, pond and stuff, we have a drive but its less than half . . . not seen any prickly dudes, but we lost our door mat a few weeks ago . . . fox pinched it and was using it as a bed in the borders!

people paving their gardens completely makes my piss boil for numerous reasons. It should be illegal due to causing localised flooding for one reason.

In related news; I found a foxes bed in my hedge that was made up of a pile of those big plastic bags that charities leave on the doorstep asking you to fill with donations. The cheeky fox had collected them all from our street and made a nice cozy bed in my hedge.

I do try to encourage hedgehogs into my garden and a couple of years ago I had at least three healthy hogs in attendance. Unfortunately I only see where they've been nowadays, rather than where they are. But I guess that's rather the point isn't it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
six months ago and seven months ago, quite separate locations, both alive but had not seen one dead or alive before that for about 8 years.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It was a while ago, and I can't remember where. It was a rare enough sight though for me to shout excitedly "Look! A hedgehog!"

'Sfunny, twenty plus years ago you used to see tons of hedgehogs and never a fox. Now I see foxes once or twice a week, but never hedgehogs. :(

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Saw a flattened one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't seen a live one for years.

I keep holes all round my garden in the various fences in the vain hope of finding one but nothing. Loads of birds and squirrels during the day, foxes and badgers every night, but no hedgehogs :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here