Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] When did this country become so cruel?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

There is something deeply fishy about this.

* On disability benefits for multiple sclerosis and lupus but able to work the land to "feed 1,300 people"?
* Similarly, able to go about in her car delivering heavy bags of vegetables to the community?
* Has a huge variety of different crops, all grown from seed, despite starting in June 2022?
* Somehow grows enough crops to feed 1,300 people from that small plot, in the first year of trying?
* For no obvious reason, somebody has now "salted her land"
* Her GoFundMe account has suddenly risen from a small figure to £20k and counting...?

Call me a cynic, but... :shrug:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
maybe. maybe i see it that way because familiarity breeds contempt. but, having lived elsewhere in the world for quite a while, both in richer countries and poorer countries, i can honestly say that there seems to be a very unique obsession in this country with ensuring that nobody gets help without having to suffer for it. maybe that’s totally wrong and i just know some nasty people, but that has been my experience. absolutely no sense of community, and a perpetual ‘stiff upper lip’ attitude which designates asking for help as a sign of weakness. i have never seen this anywhere else.
I think you're being extremely harsh. Having lived abroad a lot as well, I really disagree.

On the contrary to your post as an example, people in the UK give more to charity than almost every other nation bar a few. (That doesn't mean there's more need for charity in this country before someone says it - most countries are going through similar problems as us re poverty etc especially since the cost of living crisis)

Edit also, in every country I've lived in through work you generally find that people think their country is worse off than others with the same 'this country has gone to the dogs/what's happened to this country' feeling in general. Not saying that's the same in every country, but I'd say it's largely true

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

* On disability benefits for multiple sclerosis and lupus but able to work the land to "feed 1,300 people"?
* Similarly, able to go about in her car delivering heavy bags of vegetables to the community?
* Has a huge variety of different crops, all grown from seed, despite starting in June 2022?
* Somehow grows enough crops to feed 1,300 people from that small plot, in the first year of trying?
* Her GoFundMe account has suddenly risen from a small figure to £20k and counting...?

Plot twist.

The good in me wants to believe she’s doing a lovely kind thing.

The sceptical in me says why aren’t you working and paying tax if you can ‘work’ this little non for profit business…?

Not sure which one to believe….

But wouldn’t know without knowing her and seeing her work and reasons she’s nicely working etc etc

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think your experience of 'this country' is probably atypical to most people's experience. Most of us know a few bad people. But most of us know way more decent people :shrug:
I think that, whoever you are, you gravitate to like minded people.

As a rule, friendship groups and social circles should generally be 95% people you find to be "decent" with the odd bad egg thrown in who's likely a friend-of-a-friend. If you're a member of Britain First, I imagine you'd think that the folk you surround yourself with are decent stand-up fellows on which you'd agree on a lot of topics. Doesn't mean they are...

To be clear, the "you" here isn't you, just a general one

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
maybe. maybe i see it that way because familiarity breeds contempt. but, having lived elsewhere in the world for quite a while, both in richer countries and poorer countries, i can honestly say that there seems to be a very unique obsession in this country with ensuring that nobody gets help without having to suffer for it. maybe that’s totally wrong and i just know some nasty people, but that has been my experience. absolutely no sense of community, and a perpetual ‘stiff upper lip’ attitude which designates asking for help as a sign of weakness. i have never seen this anywhere else.
I don't think two or three of the 'popular' newspapers help with their culture wars labelling the poor as benefit scroungers, and other people getting something for nothing. Hopefully at least one of them, and a tv channel will be going under, having lost millions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Plot twist.

The good in me wants to believe she’s doing a lovely kind thing.

The sceptical in me says why aren’t you working and paying tax if you can ‘work’ this little non for profit business…?

Not sure which one to believe….

But wouldn’t know without knowing her and seeing her work and reasons she’s nicely working etc etc
She's disabled which didn't take much investigation, so maybe do a bit of digging (pun intended)before accusing? She has also helped at the local food bank.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Potatoes are already in, you can see the mounded up earth. Giving people a few potatoes to go with their canned goods at a food bank, can go a long way. Potatoes also keep throughout winter in the correct conditions.
Who said she delivered them?
Lupus is an auto immune disease and can give good days and bad days, where you can't work regularly because you can't be consistent.
The lots of different seeds is for this years crop, because the council has given her extra land to grow on.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
30 years ago the technology didn’t exist where we could tell millions of people about the arsehats that live near us… and what’s for dinner.

People aren’t more cruel today, we just know about the cruelty more as people love to share bad news…

…and what’s for dinner.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Cynic.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think it is the whole country but a number of rabid right wing sociopaths being stoked up by the culture war Tory government and bottom feeders like Piers Corbyn and the like. They all need to get in the sea (for a swim in piss and poo of our rotting seawaters).

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't think it is the whole country but a number of rabid right wing sociopaths being stoked up by the culture war Tory government and bottom feeders like Piers Corbyn and the like. They all need to get in the sea (for a swim in piss and poo of our rotting seawaters).
I wonder if you see the irony of such a rabid post. But I doubt it as you are one of those predictably determined to skew the thread to suit your agenda. Whilst this country has its fair share of folk determined to throw a spanner in the works, the vast majority is decent, as is the case in many other lands.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thatcher's children. She planted the seeds, promoted the selfish, created benefit dependants. No surprise we are where we are now.
very peculiar responses. Thatcher would have applauded someone doing something for others. such a spiteful act might be some allotment dispute, whatever the cause its scummy people being scummy people, because they get away with it as others will make apologies and exceptions for them until they dont know right and wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There really never was a pre 2010 or pre 1979 utopia. Gay bashing (nothing funny about it), giving down and outs a bloody kicking, beating up Indian or Chinese looking folk, laughing at the disabled, the murder of little Keith Lyon, Stephen Lawrence … it’s always been around.

A relatively small section of any society, do they even do party politics, can they read? Feral, thick, no sense of community. In Italy and Spain they mock black sportsmen with chimp noises, in small towns on the continent blacks are eased out by eg not a cat in hell’s chance of being accepted, getting employment.

Vastly outweighed by 90% of people who know in their hearts what’s right and act on it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Don't think it's just the UK.
Here in Brazil young people have started to attack young children in schools with knives because of some game which I have no idea about. Last week 4 children were killed by a guy with an axe in a nursery in Santa Catarina and yesterday a 13 year old attacked students with a knife in Goais.
Threats were made yesterday to a school in my city about a knife attack but thankfully didn't materialise.
South America seems very violent and quite lawless in some areas . Probably drugs I know .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here