Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When can we consider ourselves a 'big' club

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Based on the latest accounts these are the values of the Premier League clubs from last season. There are some natural divides in terms of value.

[Tweet]861525846804365312[/Tweet]

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
As so many have said, it's all relative. I think I read somewhere that financially speaking, any club that gets promoted to the EPL automatically becomes one of the top 50 club sides in the world due to the TV money, but as we all know, size isn't everything :)

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Sunderland > Brighton

Compared to yourselves we are small, small, small.

My point was more about big or small, who really cares as the supporter of your club. Even though we are likely to be the bigger club which set of fans are the happier at the moment. The big club debate is the same as when your team loses but you say you had the most corners

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When people who have never been to Brighton or seen us live support us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, I remember giving a lift back to Chester from Wrexham away to a BHA supporter, who has no connection with Brighton, who got sucked in because of Fans United. That was in 2004. We've been something, if not 'big', for a long time. Frankly the concept of 'big' has little meaning. Who is the biggest selling british recording artist of all time? Cliff (sir The Lord's Prayer) Richard. You can be big as Trump, and still be tin pot. Rochdale, with the fewest promotions of any club in the last 40 years, however, are Proper. I'd rather be proper than the revamped, roubled-up Chelsea, for exmple. But . . . on match of the day every week, winning a cup..... with hopes and dreams that have some semblance of achievability, season after season . . . . I'd feel contented.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would have rather won the league than been promoted. Aside the positives for the future of the club I don't give a shit about the PL. We are a great championship team.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A little off-topic here, and it may be a stupid question, but when do we actually become a PL club?
-Would it have been the final whistle against Wigan?
-Would it have been the final whistle against Villa?
-Will it be when the PL finish their season?
-Will it be when the fixture list comes out?
-Will it be when we kick off next season?

Or does it really matter?

The sort of arcane nonsense that piques my interest.

I'm guessing that we have to formally resign our membership of the EFL, and likewise formally join the PL. You might expect both documents to be signed simultaneously, so the club isn't in limbo, belonging to no league. We know that there are required ground improvements (floodlights etc); I'd guess that we won't technically be able to join until we either complete those works or have negotiated a time by which we will have - either way, time will pass. I'm going to plump for 17 July. :shrug:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think you can consider yourself a 'big club' when you watch a documentary about poverty in some far flung African country and there's a local smiling at camera wearing your home shirt....

Seriously though, I think that to get attendances like we do at the Amex is incredible. If you drew a circle with say a 30 mile radius around the Amex you'd have at least 400,000 fish, 500,000 crustaceans, and 1.2 million wobbly little invertebrates (around 10% of these being Palace fans anyway) - so for the land mass we can farm for supporters we're doing bloody well !!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Why would anyone want our beloved club turned into a conglomerate shitfest of investor groups, asian fans, 60k seater libraries, zero interaction between club and fans, or empathy towards players on outrageous money to whom we cannot possibly relate?

I like where we are now and I wouldn't be too saddened at relegation, so long as we give a decent account of ourselves and are in a better position to bounce back than the struggle of the last few years. Having said that, in my opinion the club is heading for bigger things which should give me encouragement, but instead saddens me that it will soon be unrecognisable to those that have been through the strife to save it.

It's good for the kids, and I absolutely love seeing the amount of shirts being proudly worn everywhere around Sussex nowadays.

agree totally. I would rather just be the community club with a caring attitude rather than some marketing hype

We will never be considered a big club, as we do not have the history of being Premier league and European champions like Man U and Liverpool. That comes with time. It may be possible that we would be considered a big club in 50 years time if we manage to achieve the same league and European status as the big clubs, but quite frankly, who give a sh!t?

Lets be happy with who we are, where we are, and where we have come from. What we have achieved in the last 20 years is beyond belief. We have a great club, with amazingly loyal fans, a beautiful stadium, and facilities to rival most in the top tier. We are finally in the Premier league, and I for one, can not wait to see us playing against those aforementioned big clubs next season! They will consider us to be a small club, and we are compared to them. A small club with a big heart!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We shouldn't worry about whether we are a big club or not. Don't understand the mentality of those that worry about it. We are Brighton and Hove Albion and that's all that matters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We will never be considered a big club, as we do not have the history of being Premier league and European champions like Man U and Liverpool. That comes with time. It may be possible that we would be considered a big club in 50 years time if we manage to achieve the same league and European status as the big clubs, but quite frankly, who give a sh!t?

Lets be happy with who we are, where we are, and where we have come from. What we have achieved in the last 20 years is beyond belief. We have a great club, with amazingly loyal fans, a beautiful stadium, and facilities to rival most in the top tier. We are finally in the Premier league, and I for one, can not wait to see us playing against those aforementioned big clubs next season! They will consider us to be a small club, and we are compared to them. A small club with a big heart!

Completely this. I don't get the 'big club' obsession. Irrelevant label.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here