Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "When Brighton knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is good..

"When Brighton were drawn against Liverpool in 1984, Melia – who was now managing Belenenses in Portugal – spoke frankly about his time at Brighton and did not hold back about the forthcoming Cup tie. “When Brighton forced me out after I’d made them £1m from two cup finals and selling two players, I was hurt,” he said. “I hope Brighton get well and truly stuffed. Not for some of the players like Steve Foster and Jimmy Case, who supported me so loyally, but for those others behind the scenes who got me out.”

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I posted on a thread a couple of weeks back on the same kinda topic...

Still one of my favourite ever games - two similar goals in two minutes right in front of the North Stand.

I was at the Goldstone on that day, but we video-ed the game and I watched it numerous times.

Ron Atkinson was the pundit on TV and I can still remember what he said after Connor's goal: "Full credit to Terry Connor. It's been levelled against him he's not the best finisher in the world, but no-one could have taken that better."

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’ve got this in full on my nsc Wembley 83 dvd. Superb stuff 👍🏻
That Guardian article links to the complete match on YouTube. Fantastic stuff. I’d forgotten how close together the goals were. Put in perspective for younger fans, I’d say that would have been like us seeing off Barcelona or Real Madrid now - and twice in a row! Maybe yours is the Anfield victory if it’s an ‘83 DVD?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A wonderful day. I video recorded it and watched it when I got home, and kept that game on tape for years.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
That game was the most painful I’ve ever been to.
Was in the chicken run. When 2nd goal went in i leapt with joy, caught my ankle in the stantion support and fell down into the gangway. Mr St John’s came to me and said they would get me to hospital as it appeared i may have broken/fractured my ankle. I told him to bugger off as the game hasn’t finished yet. I did stay and had to walk, well hobble, back to the Drove to get my car. When I got home took my shoe off and up it came like a balloon . Off to A&E and lo and behold a plaster cast and crutches for me for the next 6 weeks. Ah the bravery (stupidity) of youth.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I love this game for so many reasons as i have said before living up north at the time, everyone supported Liverpool, Everton or Manchester United.
This was sheer joy that Sunday afternoon, live on TV Thee Albion, the silence on 17mins as Terry Rushes through is just wonderful, and the outburst of sheer pandemonium and joy was palpable in Wigan as I leapt around the lounge, screaming feck you, feck you...
Knowing I could go to school, with my head held oh so high...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My memory is so, so hazy ...

Was that the game at the Goldstone when Souness went off injured in the first half - was it an evening game?
No a Sunday afternoon. Could have been ITVs first live Sunday cup game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I love this game for so many reasons as i have said before living up north at the time, everyone supported Liverpool, Everton or Manchester United.
This was sheer joy that Sunday afternoon, live on TV Thee Albion, the silence on 17mins as Terry Rushes through is just wonderful, and the outburst of sheer pandemonium and joy was palpable in Wigan as I leapt around the lounge, screaming feck you, feck you...

God I still get shivers watching that……

Lawrenson too slow to foul our Gerry.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
How has the headline 'All Things Brighton Beautiful' NOT been re-cycled countless times in the last few months/years?
Or maybe it has and I've missed it?

el punal

That game was the most painful I’ve ever been to.
Was in the chicken run. When 2nd goal went in i leapt with joy, caught my ankle in the stantion support and fell down into the gangway. Mr St John’s came to me and said they would get me to hospital as it appeared i may have broken/fractured my ankle. I told him to bugger off as the game hasn’t finished yet. I did stay and had to walk, well hobble, back to the Drove to get my car. When I got home took my shoe off and up it came like a balloon . Off to A&E and lo and behold a plaster cast and crutches for me for the next 6 weeks. Ah the bravery (stupidity) of youth.
Got halfway through your post and that old ditty “You’ll never make the station” came into my head. Then you ruin it all saying you hobbled off to your car. Honestly, what is the world coming to? :drink:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Got halfway through your post and that old ditty “You’ll never make the station” came into my head. Then you ruin it all saying you hobbled off to your car. Honestly, what is the world coming to? :drink:
i’m sorry… how about if i refer to my car as a horseless ‘carriage’ would that go some way to ease your disappointment?

Dec 29, 2011

For Connor's goal the commentator says 'He [Hansen] steps up to try and play him offside when the ball hadn't even been played yet'.

Sure an offside trap only works before the ball has been played anyway?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here