Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your record lowest crowds

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
1,086 at home (Gillingham) against Barnet on 5th November 1997.

This at home, worse away was Scunthorpe 1997,cant rememebr the figure but the whole ground seemed empty we took a few hundred so good turn out by us,we won 2-0, or I remember a game at Reading but cant remember the year but I remember the home fans walking along the terrace and standing at whatever end they were attacking really made me laugh

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I went to a JPT game at Gillingham. We got hammered 5-1 by Millwall but I think they had quite a few fans there so the crowd probably wasn't that small.

It was 1,025 against Barnet (see below) or Millwall - I thought it was against Milllwall in JPT as well) , we lost 3-0 v Barnet (that's how crap we were then!) and the bus home broke down on the motorway and so we watch a firework display from the hard shoulder whilst a replacement was sorted out. . The smallest 'home' gate for BHA ever. I know cos I was there both times

But
Life was hard in Gillingham. In 1997/98 the team was even worse than the previous season, but Doncaster Rovers kept Albion off the bottom of the League. “Home” gates, naturally, fell to their lowest ever, an average of just 2,328 as few supporters trekked 70 miles into Kent. On Bonfire Night 1997, just 1,025 fans saw their team lose 3-0 to Barnet

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Home - 2621 v Cambridge at Priestfield in 1999.

Away - Can't be arsed to check all of them! Was at away games against Kidderminster and Barnet where there seemed to be very few home fans but our away following would have upped the overall figure.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Actually scrap that - I was at an Auto Windscreens game at the Goldstone in 1994 which attracted a MAHOOSIVE 1104. As I recall they only opened the West Stand.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lowest home crowd was midweek v Peterborough at Gillingham, I believe (don't know the crowd).

Lowest away probably at Macclesfield.

Lowest neutral the "Challis" game at Stamford Bridge.

Lowest Albion attendance Birmingham in the first division. Less than 100 of us.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
As a neutral I remember a couple of Inter Toto euro games at the goldstone. I think it was Wimbledon v some Turks and spurs v some Swedes ? Can't remember the games except the Turks being noisy. Crowds at both games were small I think.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not strictly related to this thread, but 83 3rd round replay at Newcastle.. I reckon there were no more than fifty of us,.... longest coach journey ever.... good result... Wardy winner...I think.

Keegan had 2 disallowed before Wardy scored. A couple of 'Boro at work the next day both said to me that it was our season and we would be in the Cup Final.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
As a neutral I remember a couple of Inter Toto euro games at the goldstone. I think it was Wimbledon v some Turks and spurs v some Swedes ? Can't remember the games except the Turks being noisy. Crowds at both games were small I think.

For your record books

25 June 1995 (1995-06-25)
Tottenham Hotspur 0–2 Luzern Goldstone Ground, Hove
Attendance: 2,497
Referee: Bertrand Saules (France)

15 July 1995 (1995-07-15)
Tottenham Hotspur 1–2 Öster Goldstone Ground, Hove
Attendance: 2,143

McMahon

June 24/25 1995
Wimbledon F.C. 0–4 Bursaspor

July 15/16 1995
Wimbledon F.C. 0–0 Beitar Jerusalem FC

1These matches were played at Brighton and Hove Albion's Goldstone Ground as Selhurst Park was unavailable.

No attendance for the Wimbledon games so presumably they were lower than the "Spurs" games.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The lowest was probably a wet night in Swansea for a Johnstone Paint Cup game. I'm not exactly sure of the away attendance that night, but someone passed around a programme for us all to sign. The signatures fitted on the front cover!

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I know it doesn't count, but went to some reserve games as a kid. There were maybe 100 or 200 people sitting in the West Stand. This was the only time I went in there, normally I was in the East Terrace, wondering what it would be like to be in the surges in the North Stand. There was one match when it was raining and we were sitting there being larey to the away team bench.

Other than that, I remember a weird match vs Wimbledon at Selhurst. We were in the shite away stand. I think there about 2,500 there. Only about 100 Wimbledon due to a boycott. Two of the Dons fans that went were my mates from Sussex, who also follow the Albion. They did the unthinkable and crossed the lines, coming from the Wimbledon stand to sit with the Albion supporters.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Actually, my dad, mum, brother an I went to see Huddersfield vs Cardiff at ninian park in the 70's when we lived down in melksham and we were the only huddersfield fans in the gound. Town lost 4-1 and when we scored, I was the only one apart from the bench to leap up off my seat.....we sat behind the goal with a load of welsh homicidal maniacs....my mum refused to go to football ever again and the next time she went was Portsmouth when we lost 5-1 willie Youngs famous game and we spent most of the game fending off their thugs....aaah the good old days

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
Barnet 1997 at gillingham
pre season game v palace at Gillingham (how low was that?)
Behind closed doors game v york at goldstone
JPT game v Barnet at withdean was very low aswell

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Home must be an early round FA cup game, perhaps rushden and diamonds a couple of years back, think we had 3000 odd.

Orient away a couple of years back in the JPT my lowest, think there were 1400 odd in the ground and 600 of those were albion.

Hans Kraays Tackle

Nov 1, 2009
Binfield,Berkshire
Barnet at Gillingham.

Remember it well ,as well as the comment from the radio 5 tosser. I must admit on te drive back to Bracknell I did ask myself the same question but it seemed like the last stand at the time and any more not going would have been the final nail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here